DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Godfather
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISH Network is now inserting commercials on MGM HD. At least one case where a commercial ended up in a middle of a movie (obviously a miscue). Isn't this a non-commercial HD channel? Something similar to a premium channel?

As for the commercials, they were standard definition.

A way to make revenue on channels that normally don't run commercials. It is bad enough that they stick in the fill in commercials on the cable channels (Enzyte, Maxaderm, Super Claening Cloth, etc.), but doing so on non-commercial channels is going to far. No wonder they are losing subscribers.

And yes, no new HD for over six weeks.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I think you can blame the channel because there are commercials on this channel from DirecTV, also.

I've only seen them between movies, however.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
nmetro said:
DISH Network is now inserting commercials on MGM HD. At least one case where a commercial ended up in a middle of a movie (obviously a miscue). Isn't this a non-commercial HD channel? Something similar to a premium channel?

As for the commercials, they were standard definition.

A way to make revenue on channels that normally don't run commercials. It is bad enough that they stick in the fill in commercials on the cable channels (Enzyte, Maxaderm, Super Claening Cloth, etc.), but doing so on non-commercial channels is going to far. No wonder they are losing subscribers.

And yes, no new HD for over six weeks.
Another reason why I don't subscribe to that tier. it's not worth $10.. Dish must be hurting since the VOOM days.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
HDMe said:
I haven't seen what you are talking about... but I don't believe Dish could insert commercials to a non-commercial channel without permission of that channel... which would then make that channel a commercial channel. IF there are commercials here, like UniversalHD started doing, then blame the channel for it.
Those ads are from the Google partnership from two years ago.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
HDMe said:
I haven't seen what you are talking about... but I don't believe Dish could insert commercials to a non-commercial channel without permission of that channel... which would then make that channel a commercial channel. IF there are commercials here, like UniversalHD started doing, then blame the channel for it.
DANG! I keep forgetting that TCM isn"t in AT 100. I'm dumping Comcast for Internet next month for DSL $19 VS $60 Comcast.

· Superfly
4,572 Posts
BillJ said:
I watched a concert on Palladia the other day and was amazed at all the commercials. At first it was one about every 20 minutes. Later on it was one every 3 songs.
About the only good thing about Palladia and all of its commercials are:

(1) they haven't sold anywhere near enough to fill the hour so most commercials are just short promos, and

(2) as opposed to when it was MHD, the breaks are a lot quieter than the program. I often just listen to a concert off of Palladia/MHD - the Dave Matthews one running now is excellent - only sitting down ocassionally to watch the songs I really like, and this way I can easily ignore the promo breaks.

· AllStar
92 Posts
BillJ said:
I watched a concert on Palladia the other day and was amazed at all the commercials. At first it was one about every 20 minutes. Later on it was one every 3 songs.
That's about right for the music channels. That why I pause it for about 30 or 40 minutes while I do something around the house then I watch and listen.

· Godfather
396 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.