Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

Because I lost my NBC (it was a significantly viewed channel, no NBC within 75 miles of here), I decided to "move" to Miami so that I could get NBC (with the added benefit of having all the networks in HD). After doing a lot of research on this site and using the channel chart on http://ekb.dbstalk.com/ it looked like the Miami HD locals were on 110 transponder 12. So, I checked my signal strengths on 110 T12, and it was over 100 (I live in North Cent. FL). So, today I called and "moved" only to find a black screen on the HD locals for Miami (6401-6403). Then I get a check switch message trying to acquire Transponder 7. Is the channel chart wrong? Am I missing something? Is it possible that somehow I'm picking up the transponder 12 signal from the wrong spot?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Hi neighbor. While it is not quite legal to do what you are doing, I think you need to check transponder 10 rather than transponder 12. While 10 does come in here, it is significantly lower (67) than 12 (103). One of these years I may find the time to play with an off air antenna to try to pull in WPB from here (Vero Beach). NBC and CBS are about 80 miles away.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess it is "neighbor" only in Dish network's computers....I live in Gainesville, quite a bit up the road from you in Vero. I was just confused by the fact that the channel chart shows Transponder 12 spot 1 for the Miami HD locals, and the spot beam map shows that I should be on the edge of that spotbeam. Where do you see that I should be checking Transponder 10? I must have completely misunderstood something if that is the case. I also appreciate the fact that it isn't exactly "legal", but I was really hoping to get the BCS games in HD this year (Since the Gators made it in!). Our local OTA Fox is the only O&O fox station in the country that doesn't broadcast in HD, so I guess I got kind of greedy trying to kill 2 birds with one stone....getting NBC back, and the being able to get FOX in HD as well.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Actually, I believe the Miami HD locals are on a more narrow spot beam than the SD locals. Your best bet for HD locals is to "move" to a New York DMA address or if SDs aren't that important move do what I did and move to a Philly DMA address. Boston and DC HDs are also on 61.5 and not on a spotbeam, yet. BTW I feel for you losing WTLV. Gainesville is a tough DMA to live in without cable because the cable subscribers get Orlando and Jax stations along with the Gainesville/Ocala stations. I hope Dish and Directv get a clue and give people the SV stations that they deserve.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I'm going to have to decide what is more important. I could move to NY or Philly to get HD locals. The problem is that I would lose FSN and Sunshine, which play almost all the Gator basketball games. I think my best bet right now is to move to Jax, and that way I will at least have all 4 networks (in SD). After that I would just keep an eye open and see if they are going to add the Jax networks in HD like they said they were earlier in the year. I just wish our local fox would get off their butts and get the HD feed up and running.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
I wish they would add them in Jax.. I just got my HD set and upgraded my service last night only to find out that I need another antenna to get HD locals. I have got to get it before the BCS game to see my Gators win it in HD.......;-)

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Orlando was on the original list for 2006. I haven't heard anything for quite a while on it, and they seem to be behind in adding HD locals. But at least Orlando was there, while Tampa & Jax wasn't.

Whoops, Jacksonville was on the original list along with Orlando.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Hey saltrek, I live on Patrick Air Force Base and I can't have an antenna installed on my base house, yet I can have a satellite, go figure. Dish is pissing me off because I got Dish relying on them to get HD for Orlando by the end of the year and it may not happen probably for another year. I wish I could get a HD OTA signal for WFTV because that's the only local newscast I watch and they have their newscasts in HD!! Oh well, I'll just stick with Philly HDs and watch WFTV SD OTA.

kilobravo3, I'm a Gator fan too and missing their B-Ball and Lightning Hockey are about the only things I miss from Sun and FSN.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Actually, since you are in the Orlando DMA, I would just stay where you are for now and wait it out.

Per the map here: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/satmaps.htm Miami is at 110 on transponder 10, unless I am reading it wrong, which I have been known to do.

Hey saltrek, I live on Patrick Air Force Base
Are you driving up the road for the launch tomorrow evening? I'll be heading to Titusville (I hope).

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used the chart on this page http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm and looked at the Miami HD locals (channels 6401-6404). It shows in the table that they are on Transponder 12 of spotbeam 1. I assumed that transponder 10 had the Miami SD locals (which I really don't care about). Regardless of where they are, they don't work in Gainesville. Last night, I "moved" again to the Jacksonville area so I can at least have all the networks in SD. Hopefully if Orlando gets HD locals, the spotbeam will reach far enough north so I can get them there.

Jersey...went to the Gator hoops game last night against Providence....Sun and FSN are the only thing keeping me from "moving" to one of the cities with CONUS HD locals.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I usually watch the launches from my driveway. It's not a close-up view, but it's decent. I've only seen one night launch, so I'm looking forward to this one. Looks like the weather may postpone it for tonight, though.

jerseyfla - Since you can get WFTV's SD signal with an indoor antenna, you should be able to get their HD signal. Before I put up an outdoor antenna, I used a simple bow-tie, and they were one of the strongest signals I received - consistently over 90%.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What can you guys tell me about the sports pack from Dish? I just noticed it on the Dish website today. It includes Fox sports Florida as well as Sunshine network (the only 2 I really want). I was thinking that I could then move to the NY area for the HD locals, and then add the sports pack to my account and still be able to receive the Gator sports events on Sunshine. Does this sound like it would work, or are there weird blackout rules that would limit what I could see?

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Calvin...no doubt I would end up with the NY RSNs. But, Dish's site advertises a "Sports Pack" which seems to include all the RSNs for 5.99/mnth. I thought I read somewhere that almost everything on the channels is blacked out, but I can't find that reference anymore. I was just curious if anyone had the sports pack, and if it was blacked out a lot. If all the sports are blacked out, it doesn't seem to make much sense to offer it, but again, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with it.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
The whole sports thing is screwy. 2 years ago I couldn't get my Marlins games. They said it was out of market team that Tampa was mine. I got all of the Heat and Panther games. This year it's the opposite. Now I get the lightning and Magic games............ :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.