DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Sounds like its just for On-Demand stuff. If your DVR isnt connected to the mothership, there would be no way they could tell how many times you hit 30skip. And if they tried to change it in software, I would just switch over to using my HTPC instead of their DVR.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davenlr said:
Sounds like its just for On-Demand stuff. If your DVR isnt connected to the mothership, there would be no way they could tell how many times you hit 30skip. And if they tried to change it in software, I would just switch over to using my HTPC instead of their DVR.
On Demand, but that's where it starts. On demand doesn't have any commercials anyway, does it?
Unfortunately, no way to use a HTPC with Directv, is there (If you want HD)?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
On Demand, but that's where it starts. On demand doesn't have any commercials anyway, does it?
Unfortunately, no way to use a HTPC with Directv, is there (If you want HD)?
Yea, hook a HD receiver into a HDPVR. I use it every day. Only way to copy HD programming from DirecTv to a computer to archive in case the DVR goes belly up, since you would lose all the programs.

· Registered
14,539 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
Wouldn't there have to be some sort of disclaimer/warning every time you hit 30-skip? "By skipping the included advertisement you will incur a 50 cent usage fee. Proceed, yes/no?" Otherwise customers could claim that they were not aware of the charges...

But yeah, I could see lots of people reacting negatively to this. I'm not sure service providers want the headache of the negative publicity. Many DVDs have marketing spots that run when you first play a disk that you can't skip past and lots of streaming sites have locked commercials. That seems like a more logical way to go about this rather than trying to charge people to skip past the spots.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
What if it was presented as an optional premium? As a ++ account holder, you can skip commercials even on On Demand content? They could call them Club Members.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
sigma1914 said:
Hulu+ has commercials you can't skip....why is that different to you?
Cause it's only $8 a month. If I'm paying close to $90 a month for Tv, I'm NOT paying to be able to skip commercials.
My guess is we're all paying about $6-$8 a month for our local broadcast channels which gives us the national broadcast network programming to record. While I too want to continue to skip commercials, it seems to me paying to stream with commercials that can't be skipped is going backwards just as much as being charged to skip commercials.

I'm always puzzling over the fact that the likes of News Corp/Fox, Disney/ABC, and NBCU haven't decided to bundle their cable and broadcast channels and sell them as a commercial-free or limited commercial package in a price range something akin to HBO.

CBS could create a commercial-free or limited-commercial bundle with its common-ownership Viacom's channels or with its The CW partner Time Warner's cable channels. In fact, I could see all three as a bundle that would offer the follow channels or groups of channels: CBS, The CW, MTV, Nickelodeon, CMT, TV Land, VH1, BET, Palladia, Comedy Central, Logo, Spike, Adult Swim, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, truTV, TBS, TNT, TCM, CNN.

· Hall Of Fame
1,711 Posts
phrelin said:
I'm always puzzling over the fact that the likes of News Corp/Fox, Disney/ABC, and NBCU haven't decided to bundle their cable and broadcast channels and sell them as a commercial-free or limited commercial package in a price range something akin to HBO.
The local affiliates would riot over that idea, and there is likely language in the affiliate agreements preventing the networks from directly competing with the affiliate, so they'd have to get 200+ stations to agree to this new service.

Back in the last year of Jeff Zucker's management of NBC (you know, the guy who thought up the brilliant idea of Leno at 10...) there were rumors that his long-range plan was to essentially turn NBC into cable network and mostly abandon the old affiliate model.

I could see a version of this where the networks move their serialized content (comedies and dramas) to a cable network and only distribute news and sports via the affiliates. It would be painful and would likely lead to the death of lots of locals, but do we really need 5-6-7+ locals in each city? Heck, in my own mid-market city (somewhere around #50) one company owns both the ABC and Fox channels, another one owns the NBC and CW channels and a conglomerate owns the CBS station, newspaper and several radio stations. At least in my own town, two stations could disappear and it wouldn't really affect the market dynamics or news reporting services to the community.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.