DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an HR34 DirecTV receiver with a 2 TB hard drive connected. This arrangement works well. I am currently having problems with my HR34 and it may have to be replaced.

My question is: Can I plug my 2TB HD into a different (new) HR34 (or HR44 if HR34 not available) receiver and be able to watch all the programs that I have previously recorded?

Note: This happened to me once before a couple of years ago with a 1TB HD and I lost everything. They said each receiver was "coded" and would not recognize stuff recorded by another receiver on an external eSATA drive. Is this still true?

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the previous 1079 pages.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Unfortunately this has been the case ever since the external hard drive was started.
This is one reason why I don't use an external drive.
I just don't understand why DirecTV doesn't at least allow a transfer of the external to another DVR on the same account.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
jdspencer said:
Unfortunately this has been the case ever since the external hard drive was started.
This is one reason why I don't use an external drive.
I just don't understand why DirecTV doesn't at least allow a transfer of the external to another DVR on the same account.
This isn't limited to external drives. You can't move an internal drive between receivers either.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
I currently have an HR34 DirecTV receiver with a 2 TB hard drive connected. This arrangement works well. I am currently having problems with my HR34 and it may have to be replaced.

My question is: Can I plug my 2TB HD into a different (new) HR34 (or HR44 if HR34 not available) receiver and be able to watch all the programs that I have previously recorded?

Note: This happened to me once before a couple of years ago with a 1TB HD and I lost everything. They said each receiver was "coded" and would not recognize stuff recorded by another receiver on an external eSATA drive. Is this still true?

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the previous 1079 pages.
whats the issue? It may be the actual hard drive. If it is the external drive there may be a way to save your recordings.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problems that I am having are not connected to the hard drive or recordings. The picture on my TV gets bigger and words on the screen go off the screen. I switched to the genie and everything seems to work OK.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
marechal_davout said:
The problems that I am having are not connected to the hard drive or recordings. The picture on my TV gets bigger and words on the screen go off the screen. I switched to the genie and everything seems to work OK.
Now this is getting confusing...You say in the 1st post your HR34 is acting up....your HR34 is a Genie....

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was mistaken. The problems seen on the TV display appear when connected to both the HR34 and the H24. The problem is with the TV NOT DirecTV. I am glad to know that I cannot migrate my external HD contents to a different DrirecTV receiver. Thanks for your help. This is a great site full of very knowledgeable and helpful people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.