DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 leased HR-2x DVRs: 1 HR20-700s and 2 HR21-700's
I'm running MRV in beta over GB Ethernet. Loving it!

It so happens, I have a room where I have one coax line but no wired ethernet. It would be messy and expensive to add cat5 or cat6 cable to that room.

I'd love to get a receiver (H24?) in that room and have it have access to the content on the other DVRs. I'm very excited to learn that a non-DVR could access MRV. I'm assuming that DECA is the solution - which sounds great, but how will it work with my existing DVRs?

Also, if DECA proves to be better (and I can believe it would be... my GB ethernet is great for picture and audio but slightly sluggish for controlling the remote DVR) -- what should I do? Replace the HR20 and HR21's with HR24's? How does one work that with D*TV? Or do I run some sort of DECA bridge to my router (will that be as good?)

Also curious, how do the HR24's compare to the HR20's and HR21's?

Finally - when does the MRV Beta end?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Beta will be around until the end of April "they say".
The 24s are simple faster, so they handle the MRV server part quicker.
You can either bridge your current network to the DECA, or add DECA adapter to all your other receivers and move up to the SWiM system, if you don't already have one.

·
Icon
828 Posts
Doug Brott said:
DIRECTV has MRV upgrades available now in select markets. Assuming your profile location is correct, you should be able to get the upgrade sometime in May I think.
Doug,
Is there a list somewhere of the time frame for various areas for DECA/SWM upgrades?
I have a situation similar to the OP and would like to know when the upgrade will come to my area. For all intents and puposes, the Las Vegas D* market covers me here in Pahrump.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear, thanks!

By the way, I noticed that the HR24 uses about 9 watts less electricity than an HR21 with DECA. That doesn't sound like much, but it is a 24x7 device and here in Mountain View, CA that will save me about $3/month in electricity per device. (An ironic number given the $3 MRV fee being tossed around).

On that topic, anybody know what the energy usage of an H24 vs an HR24 when the devices are turned "off"? The DVRs are pretty much always on (my Kill-a-watt tells me there is only about 1-2 watts different between being on and off). I'm assuming the H24 will be quieter and hopefully more energy efficient when not in use. Would be great if it booted fast so I could connect it to a smart-strip and cut off it's power when not in use.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
gusjohnson said:
Good to hear, thanks!

By the way, I noticed that the HR24 uses about 9 watts less electricity than an HR21 with DECA. That doesn't sound like much, but it is a 24x7 device and here in Mountain View, CA that will save me about $3/month in electricity per device. (An ironic number given the $3 MRV fee being tossed around).

On that topic, anybody know what the energy usage of an H24 vs an HR24 when the devices are turned "off"? The DVRs are pretty much always on (my Kill-a-watt tells me there is only about 1-2 watts different between being on and off). I'm assuming the H24 will be quieter and hopefully more energy efficient when not in use. Would be great if it booted fast so I could connect it to a smart-strip and cut off it's power when not in use.
When turned off, the only difference is that the video outputs on the back of the receiver are disabled. Thus, you shouldn't really see any significant difference from the receiver itself for when the receiver is on or in stand-by mode.

- Merg

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
rsblaski said:
Doug,
Is there a list somewhere of the time frame for various areas for DECA/SWM upgrades?
I have a situation similar to the OP and would like to know when the upgrade will come to my area. For all intents and puposes, the Las Vegas D* market covers me here in Pahrump.
I think it's the test markets for now and May time frame for everyone else. Always subject to change of course.

·
Legend
245 Posts
Doug Brott said:
DIRECTV has MRV upgrades available now in select markets. Assuming your profile location is correct, you should be able to get the upgrade sometime in May I think.
Is it really fair to roll into a paying deal when some of us never were able to view the working system? My other receivers have not yet rec'd the software update in NJ.
H23-600, nothing since 10/09.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
iamqnow said:
Is it really fair to roll into a paying deal when some of us never were able to view the working system? My other receivers have not yet rec'd the software update in NJ.
Well, there will certainly be many, many customers of DirecTV that don't visit this site that will have never known about the beta. They'll get some sort of advertising about the new feature and will have to decide whether to pay for it or not.

I'm sorry that you haven't yet had a chance to try it out, but you are no worse off than the vast majority of DirecTV customers. (If you don't need a hardware upgrade, you can always try it out for a month for just $3. You could then drop it if it isn't something that you want.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
iamqnow said:
Whats to test drive?

You record something on your HD DVR.
You watch that recording on your HD DVR or any other MRV capable receiver in your house.

:confused:

·
Godfather
287 Posts
My situation is similar to the OP's. I have an R22-100 (HD enabled) and an HR21-700 that are both connected to a SWM module that I installed myself. I have a non-SWM 5 LNB dish wired to the SWM. The two DVRs are both connected via Cat5 to a switch and that switch is then connected to my router.

I'd like to go with DECA since it would simplify wiring to additional rooms. I have another R22-100 new-in-the-box that I would probably activate for this. Will I be able to buy DECA modules at some time in the future and self-install them?

·
Legend
245 Posts
RobertE said:
Whats to test drive?

You record something on your HD DVR.
You watch that recording on your HD DVR or any other MRV capable receiver in your house.

:confused:
Maybe. All my stuff is hardwired so you are assuring me everything will work. Wow, I just buy all my stuff without checking it out first. Do you?

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
iamqnow said:
Maybe. All my stuff is hardwired so you are assuring me everything will work. Wow, I just buy all my stuff without checking it out first. Do you?
Whats to test drive? Thats all it is.

I do some research on stuff before I buy. But in this case, there really isn't much of anything to "try".

·
Legend
245 Posts
RobertE said:
Whats to test drive? Thats all it is.

I do some research on stuff before I buy. But in this case, there really isn't much of anything to "try".
Hey, first let me make sure you know I am not trying to hard time you. As far as I see everyone is here to help, yourself included. I did the VOD deal, not thrilled, DirecTV2PC (yawn) the mediashare worked in the beginning, not now. Just getting skeptical. I just checked a spare room and the H21-200 got it's update on 3/17. I could swap it out with the H23 but it will be a royal pain. The H23 is in a rack system (as in very heavy and awkward to move) but maybe tomorrow I'll give it a try. It is the only receiver ( the H21) I have that is not currently networked. Hardly used and guests don't need to access my recordings. Then they will know I am off the wall.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
Why not just wait a little longer for your H23 to get the latest national release and just check MRV out with it? Have you tried forcing an update early in the morning?

·
Legend
245 Posts
Beerstalker said:
Why not just wait a little longer for your H23 to get the latest national release and just check MRV out with it? Have you tried forcing an update early in the morning?
No, didn't want to force an update. Today when I got home I checked and still no update, so...... I swapped the 2 receivers, not as bad as I anticipated, and now can test MRV. The one I really wanted it on was my son's bedroom and he asks almost daily after he gets home from work. Well, tonight I have good news for him. Hardwired as mentioned and started working like it belongs there.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
Glad you got it up and running. It really is a great feature, I'm just not sure I'm willing to pay $3/month for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.