DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HR20 for about a month now (Chicago), and lately I have been having many missed recordings. Either the machine doesn't record my show at all, or it claims to be recording it, and when I access it, I get a grey screen. I also lose my trick play features numerous times. I started out having a lot of success with this machine, but it's been real unreliable lately. Is there anything I can do to get this receiver working correctly again? Will the latest software release help at all? The missed recordings are from a variety of channels, in both hd and sd. I know others are having some of the same difficulties and I'm just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
I sure hope my LOST in HD is recording ok. I just came upstairs and saw the yellow light on before I made my way up so i am 40% sure it is recording. I have only had one missed recording since I got the DVR about 3 weeks ago.

Check this for me though cause i have a theory. When you go to bed or turn the TV off be sure to tune into a station that you are not planning on recording that day. The one recording I missed I think was due to the fact that my wife left the channel on SD CBS and it was sceduled to record. HD CBS at that time.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Mixer said:
I sure hope my LOST in HD is recording ok. I just came upstairs and saw the yellow light on before I made my way up so i am 40% sure it is recording. I have only had one missed recording since I got the DVR about 3 weeks ago.

Check this for me though cause i have a theory. When you go to bed or turn the TV off be sure to tune into a station that you are not planning on recording that day. The one recording I missed I think was due to the fact that my wife left the channel on SD CBS and it was sceduled to record. HD CBS at that time.
I got screwed on LOST today. Grey screen. Yesterday it was The Unit. What the HELL is the matter with this thing?!!!!:mad:

With Lost today, I know it recorded the whole thing - the red light was on. With The Unit, I only got 3 minutes - the 3 minutes early I had it set for. When it was recording Lost today, the 6-sec. back jump wouldn't work at all, neither would the 30-sec. slip. The regular FFD and REW would give the left or right triangles like they were trying to work, but the screen remained grey with no movement in the time tracker-indicator thingie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,058 Posts
I lost LOST and The Nine tonight. LAst night it was House and Standoff. I was fortunate to realize that Lost wasn't being recorded, so I watched it live, but blank recordings are getting very annoying.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
gpg said:
I lost LOST and The Nine tonight. LAst night it was House and Standoff. I was fortunate to realize that Lost wasn't being recorded, so I watched it live, but blank recordings are getting very annoying.
Have you tried a reset? Usually if you find that you have lost or missed a recording anything after that will continue to give you problems. If you do a reset it should get it back on track. Not always but it is usually your best bet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,058 Posts
Oh yeah, I reset this morning after losing Tuesday's shows and I'm right back with a reset tonight after losing the ABC shows. Interestingly, the shows I recorded on CBS tonight appear to be there. All were from NY's MPEG4 stations.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
gpg said:
Oh yeah, I reset this morning after losing Tuesday's shows and I'm right back with a reset tonight after losing the ABC shows. Interestingly, the shows I recorded on CBS tonight appear to be there. All were from NY's MPEG4 stations.
Yea, that sucks. Like I said it dosen't always work but it is really your only option. :shrug:
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
261 Posts
:mad: Tonight I got the grey screen for Lost. I ended up watching it upstairs on my other HR20 that recorded it corectly. The missed Lost was from San Francisco HD mpg4. The correctly recorded Lost was from the same channel only SD version. This makes 4 missed/grey recordings in a month and a half. Thats almost 1 a week. I think I'll have to look into dropping D* and going with Comcast and the series 3 Tivo. This POS is just to unreliable for my taste. I thought updates were supposed to make things better.

I'm also thinking of going down to D* HQ in LA and injecting myself with the rage virus(think 28 days later).
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Twosted said:
Have you tried a reset? Usually if you find that you have lost or missed a recording anything after that will continue to give you problems. If you do a reset it should get it back on track. Not always but it is usually your best bet.
I do a reset now about every-other day, whether I want to or not. After the Lost fiasco, I did a reset manually, but on Tuesday, while trying to FFD a recording from the weekend (football), the whole thing froze and restarted on me on it's own.

Is the new update supposed to fix these things?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
55 Posts
I was watching Dancing with the Stars and Lost last night. I noticed the yellow recording light was on. But, I check to see if these shows were watchable recordings after ten minutes or so after each program started.....they were not:nono2:

John
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
I have had the same problem. I called Directv this morning and they suggested doing a harddrive reformat. Directv also said that they have not heard of this problem. It sounds like they need more complaints so they recognize the problem and can write a software patch.

I will watch the few programs on this HR20 and then try the reformat.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
seattledvr said:
I have had the same problem. I called Directv this morning and they suggested doing a harddrive reformat. Directv also said that they have not heard of this problem. It sounds like they need more complaints so they recognize the problem and can write a software patch.

I will watch the few programs on this HR20 and then try the reformat.
Which program? and when did it record? (or not record as the case may be).

Did it occur before, or after the lastest software update.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
3 Posts
I have had the same problems with partial recordings as well. I was losing one show just about every day. They would show up as partial in the history list. I also had a program where the yellow record light was on, but it was not actually recording. I called Directv and eventually re-formatted the hard drive. I did this about a week ago, and have had no problems since. It's definitely worth a try for you. :)
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Which program? and when did it record? (or not record as the case may be).

Did it occur before, or after the lastest software update.
It happened a few weeks ago recording CBS programs the Unit and NCIS.

Last week it happend during NBC - Earl.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
15 Posts
I also lost The Unit, recorded in SD- local CBS station not on HD yet with D* and HD version of Standoff Tuesday night. Wednesday night lost the last 15 minutes of Lost and only got 10 minutes of The Nine after having to reboot. Also had a problem with no recording of Lost last Wednesday. Any coincidence with having a problem recording Lost?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top