DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my dish upgraded for HD the other day. While I'm waiting for my HR20 upgrade, I'm using the HD receiver that doesn't have the DVR. Three of the HD channels (DiscoveryHD, ESPN2HD, and HDNet) show "searching for satellite" and won't come up. I called DirecTV and went through two levels of tech support. I tried everything they asked over the phone. They finally decided to dispatch a tech back out to work on it. They said the 3 missing channels are on the same satellite as channels that are working, so it can't be that anything is blocking the line of sight to the satellite. The second tech seemed to think it was the dish itself.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

· You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Likely. Bad LNB, bad dish alignment, bad cabling, multiswitch, or bad Dish altogether. What do your tuners say for satellite strength (Litzdog is the expert here on that) .

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I had the same thing happen the other day and resetting my receiver (pushing the red button behind the access card door) fixed it.

However if that doesn't work, there are some checks you can run. Those channels are all on the 119 deg. satellite. Depending on what SD locals you get you may or may not receive other channels from that satellite. Use the Menu key and select Settings -> Setup -> Sat & Ant -> View Signal Strength. Choose the 119 satellite and see what signal strength you get. Transponders 1-22 will show "n/a" and you may see a few with 0, but there should be several at 50 or higher (I don't know specifically which transponder carries those channels).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try those checks when I get home tonight. I went through a lot of troubleshooting steps over the phone, including resetting the receiver and checking the signal strength, but I can't remember if it was the 119 satellite. Anyway, they are sending someone back out tomorrow to fix it. When the installer was there to upgrade my dish, he left before I had a chance to discover the missing channels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading bobnielsen's reply, I ran the setup to check the signal strength. It wasn't seeing the 119 satellite, which is where the 3 missing HD channels are located (none of my locals are on 119).

The problem was that the top of a pine tree was blocking the 119 satellite. An installer came out today and re-mounted the dish on my roof (it was mounted on the side of the house near ground level). That fixed the problem - the missing channels are now coming in just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are mature trees and they aren't likely to get any taller. I had the same problem when I had Dish Network and they had to mount the dish on the roof. When I switched to DirecTV, the dish was mounted at ground level because that's all that was needed at the time - I wasn't getting any of the programming on the 119 dish. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.