Hi,

I love this board. Its recently come to my attention that
there are several starz and hbo stations that dishnetwork
does not offer ie: hbozone, and blackstarz west among several
others. Does anyone know why this is? Dish tells me that they
are unavailable on the satellites they currently use. I find this
unlikely. Even the digital cable in my area has more hbos than
me. Despite the bad recent pq, i love my satellite, but this seems
just wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
The standard reply from Dish is that to add those additional HBO and Starz channels, they would have to renogitiate their contracts with HBO and Starz, and that would likely result in an increase of price for those packages.

Also, Dish has a problem with transponder space at the moment (and has for some time now). To add those additional channels at the moment would require all of the other channels on the 119 satellite to be compressed even more than they already are, resulting in worse PQ than what you see now. The new satellites that Dish is putting up this year (the first set to go online around May 1 and the second set to launch later this year) should help the compression problem, but that's just my opinion. Local channels are also presenting a problem right now, especially in light of the FCC ruling that came down late this week. I wouldn't count on seeing any new channels for at least the next year until the 2nd bird goes online.

And frankly, that's fine with me - the existing channels are too compressed as it is. I would much rather have fewer channels and better PQ, but I seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
It would be nice if E* expanded the Cinemax package by adding ActionMax, ThrillerMax, etc. because it seems like $11.99 is a little steep for just 3 channels. My cable company had Cinemax and MoreMax, so Dish's Cinemax package hardly offers anything more than cable's. I know that E* is lacking transponder space at the moment, however, the MultiMax package needs a little improvement in the future.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Agreed Kevin, the Max package on DBS is very expensive compared to the Showtime Package or Starz Package. And a lot of Ddital cable system carry all 8 or so maxs plus west cost feeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.