DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Godfather
341 Posts
egould said:
MLB has been heavily advertising their own network (Think: NFL Network). They open up shop 1/1/09. Any word if D* plans to pick it up and whether it will be broadcast in HD?
It's my understanding that D* is involved in starting the MLB Network and it will part of D*'s basic package.

· Godfather
415 Posts
MLB will be available with all basic satelite and cable packages, that was part of the contract for D* to "steal" and attempt to make the EI package exclusive.

When cable was pissed, they decided to carry it as well so there will be no conflict similar to the NFL network/TWarner snafu, it'll just be there come next year

· Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
bwaldron said:
Steal? :confused:

Good to see you on the forum, Mr. Kerry ;)
:D :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Yep, carriage of the MLB Network was part of the latest MLB EI contract b/w MLB and the various MLB EI carriers (D* and some cable cos). I am not sure if E* will be carrying the MLB Network, however. The network goes live on 1 Jan 2009.

I wonder what they are going to carry during the MLB season. Will they simply carry various RSN feeds (like NHL Network) or will they have exclusivity for certain games that an RSN can't also show? Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
Nope, E* will not have the MLB Network. The channel is tied in with MLB EI, no MLB EI = No MLB Network

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
That is what I figured.. so what will the MLB Network be carrying during the season?

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
n3ntj said:
That is what I figured.. so what will the MLB Network be carrying during the season?
games a night or two a week (think NBA and NHL Network)

Highlight shows, fantasy spin, stat shows

Draft coverage, hot stove during the off season

replays of games from the previous week, historical games

lather, rinse, repeat

· Hall Of Fame
4,573 Posts
The advertising is beginning to pick up some more steam.
During the Red Sox @ Angels ALDS game tonight at Angel Stadium on TBS,I noticed the "MLB Network" logo on the RF wall,along with "January 2009" on the wall next to the logo.
Here is a link to an article dated 9/2/08,showing the logo for the forthcoming channel.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6591788.html?industryid=47172

· Icon
798 Posts
I thought i had died and gone to heaven when XM launched the 24/7 baseball channel on radio now its like Deja Vu all over again when this launches :D

· Icon
570 Posts
When it comes to studio shows, i'm hoping that the MLB Channel will cover all of the teams and not just the teams that ESPN thinks we want to hear about.

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
Davenlr said:
Knowing MLB, it will probably black out 1/2 its programming.
I was thinking the same thing. They'll carry 4-5 games a week but 90% of the country won't be able to see them.

Seriously, I curious to see how it turns out. Hopefully they'll give us plenty of baseball to watch...and not have it be the Yankees or Red Sox every night.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Araxen said:
I sure wish they would name the channel for what it will really be and that's the Yankee's/Red Sox channel. This will be no different than the crap ESPN does.
That's a tiresome argument, and at any rate I think it's probably a bit premature to start bashing a channel before it has been launched. :)

· Godfather
440 Posts
As a regular subscriber to MLB Extra Innings, I haven't had to deal with the national blackouts as much, but the regional blackouts have been the big issue. My hope is that the MLB Network can model itself after the NBA channel. And that is to show 1-2 games per night, always rotating between teams, no matter how poorly they are doing in the standings, and using the local announcing teams.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
What pisses me off, is you have to subscribe to:
1.MLB EI
2.MLB Superfan
3.Sports Pak
4.HD Access
to get all the games, and after all that, if the team I follow is playing a team that claims my state (cuurently the Astros, Royals, and Cardinals), there is a good chance that the game will be in HD, but Ill have to watch the SD version on the "local RSN"... even though I'm paying TWICE for HD.

They need to get their feces together before next season.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.