DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
13,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like there is going to be a strike, but not the players against the owners, but the owners against Steinbrenner.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg=38&u_sid=450125

Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan blamed New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner for some of baseball's economic problems and said a strike might be necessary.

Speaking Tuesday at a luncheon in this Cleveland suburb, Dolan criticized Steinbrenner for increasing his team's payroll even more through trades for Raul Mondesi and Jeff Weaver as the Yankees make another postseason run.

"George is a large part of our problem," he said.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
You got to like the owners. They all act like idiots and them blame each other. Dolan should sell the team if he can' t afford it. I hate the Yankees as much as any team, but George is playing by the rules the owners set up themselves.

· Legend
228 Posts
No we will not be contracted this winter .. they have at least another year after this one ... but in 2004???? Fortunately by then Jesse "the mind" will be gone and a new sports friendly state legislature will get their act together!!

:shrug:

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Larry Dolan is a very RICH man, I can't remember which one, but he owns one of the largest credit card companys.

The way I see it is that owning a baseball team is a long term investment and a matter of prestige. Let's say you buy a rare painting or coin. What is that painting or coin bringing you in revenue after you bought it?.....nothing. You get a certain prestige from owning a rare Picasso, etc. The real profit margin is established after you re-sell the comodity later. The same can be said of a baseball franchise. The Yankees were bought for $11 million when Steinbrenner made the investment. They arguebly could be sold for $1 billion right now based on the Red Sox recent purchase of $700 million. I don't care how much money the Yankees have made or lost, the return on the investment is HUGE. I'm willing to bet that if you look at a majority of MLB teams purchase prices when bought and their value today, the return will be more than the money each owner has lost (if any) during the duration of ownership. I feel if people took a minute to think about it this way (although quite economically symplified above), you can see how owners are crying wolf.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Exactly, he could sell the Indians right now and make a huge profit. If they don't want to put up with competing with the Yankees, then sell the team... Don't blame a team that has been successful under the current environment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.