DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legend
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am paying 54.00 in extra fees for 4 dvr's, I do have a genie and 3 other standalone dvr's. Would I save any money by getting genie clients or is it basically the same? Thanks Michael

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,436 Posts
Right now I am paying 54.00 in extra fees for 4 dvr's, I do have a genie and 3 other standalone dvr's. Would I save any money by getting genie clients or is it basically the same? Thanks Michael
You would be paying the same fees, and as a bonus from DirecTV you would lose 6 tuners. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
Only going to save money by switching to streaming which doesnt have box fees

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Only going to save money by switching to streaming which doesnt have box fees
That's not necessarily the case. There may be other traditional carriers that offer the channels desired for much less money.

While streaming typically allows one to escape STB fees, streaming programming certainly isn't the bargain that it once was.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
That's not necessarily the case. There may be other traditional carriers that offer the channels desired for much less money.

While streaming typically allows one to escape STB fees, streaming programming certainly isn't the bargain that it once was.
Nope but in his case it would be.. Switch to Directv Stream and he saves 54 bucks a month right off the bat

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Nope but in his case it would be.. Switch to Directv Stream and he saves 54 bucks a month right off the bat
It may not be entirely reasonable to assume that DIRECTV Stream programming will satisfy the need. There are some very notable absences in the streaming offering compared to DBS.

The door to alternate providers swings wide open once you dismiss the channels that are unique to the DBS product.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
It may not be entirely reasonable to assume that DIRECTV Stream programming will satisfy the need. There are some very notable absences in the streaming offering compared to DBS.

The door to alternate providers swings wide open once you dismiss the channels that are unique to the DBS product.
I am sure he will be fine.. If you want to analyze and dive into his programming needs knock yourself out

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
I am sure he will be fine.. If you want to analyze and dive into his programming needs knock yourself out
I'm not the one who is holding up DIRECTV Stream as the definitive answer to the question of saving money.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
Well he didn't say what package he has and never mentioned his channel requirements or if he wanted to switch to another service. The fact remains he would save $54+ right up front if he did switch to DirecTV Stream. Switching his DVR's out for clients would save him $0.00.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
NO-reason the receiver monthly fee is the same for a MINI, HD. HDDVR

·
Legend
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't mean to start something, I am paying 79.99 plus the fees of 54.00. I am thinking about trying youtube tv, can't do with out a dvr. I just about only watch locals and food network. They screwed me out of the diy network.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,057 Posts
Didn't mean to start something, I am paying 79.99 plus the fees of 54.00. I am thinking about trying youtube tv, can't do with out a dvr. I just about only watch locals and food network. They screwed me out of the diy network.
YouTubeTV is not a bad choice but their crappy UI takes some getting used to, especially their approach to DVR, IMO

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
The locals requirement dismisses most of the really cheap services.

The DIY network rebranded to Magnolia. Discovery screwed you out of DIY.

Food Network is available on most live streaming services and through most cable providers. You can also get it (and Magnolia) with a $4.99/month subscription to Discovery+.

Do you have access to Over-The-Air local channels? A combination of OTA and Discovery+ would cover everything you've specified and the monthly cost could be as low as $4.99+DVR costs.

Reactions: B. Shoe

·
Legend
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not a bad idea, I have an antenna already. I guess the only DVR option is TiVo?

·
Hall Of Fame
6,057 Posts
No, there are a few others. Sling has AirTV and the guide from it is shown in the Sling app. Amazon has the Recast but it only works with Amazon’s FireTV. And there is Tablo which I don’t know much about.

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
It is a way to save money. Period. End of sentence. Whether or not the programming is the same or not has nothing to do with it. It's just you mucking up the forum.
What a ridiculous statement. I can save money by trading in my car for a unicycle, or trade in my house for a cardboard box. If the results don't fit my needs and/or I'm not willing to make those sacrifices then I'm not saving money.

·
Icon
3,822 Posts
If you only care about locals, then the correct answer for you would be an antenna + a free OTA DVR like Tablo. You wouldn't get the food network obviously... but you'd pay $0/mo. Tivo has a monthly fee. You could also get additional free streaming content with a Roku.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,871 Posts
What a ridiculous statement. I can save money by trading in my car for a unicycle, or trade in my house for a cardboard box. If the results don't fit my needs and/or I'm not willing to make those sacrifices then I'm not saving money.
Eh you still are saving money

1 - 20 of 22 Posts