DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have two ancient SD receivers. I would like to upgrade to one HD
receiver and one HD Dvr receiver. Is the following correct (i.e. monthly fees):

HD (first) receiver: $0.00
HD Dvr (2nd receiver): 5.99 (Dvr fee)
HD Dvr (2nd receiver) : 4.99 (mirror fee)
HD monthly HD activation 9.99

Of course the program fee would be added. In another words I would be spending $20.97 additional per month for HD. Is this correct, thank you.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
jrecsei said:

Of course the program fee would be added. In another words I would be spending $20.97 additional per month for HD. Is this correct, thank you.
You should already be paying a $4.99 mirror fee on your second SD receiver, which would make the increase $15.98, assuming both of your existing receivers will be deactivated. With a leased receiver, the mirror fee is called a leased receiver fee, but it is really the same thing.

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
jrecsei said:

I agree with Bob on the fees and if you can afford it I would suggest 2 HDdvrs.:) Monthly will be the same just the initial upgrade cost.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
If you are a long-term customer, you aren’t under any sort of commitment term (i.e. haven’t upgraded anything in a while), your account is in good standing and you aren’t getting any special credits, then you might be able to negotiate a decent deal. This could be much lower up-front lease fees on the new receivers and/or discounted monthly service fees. You may not be able to get two HD-DVR’s and a new dish installed for free, but you never know. Some people have reporting getting such deals. It all depends on your standings with D* in terms of your revenue and payment history.

By the way, the “customer retention” department is the one that makes “deals”. The standard CSR’s don’t seem to have the authority or capabilities to negotiate. To get to the retention department, say “cancel service” at the voice prompt. No, they won’t “instantly” cancel your service! When you get connected to the CSR, don’t threaten or demand anything – just “ask questions”. Explain that you are ready to upgrade to HD and that what you really need are two HD-DVRs’ (or whatever it is you really want – it never hurts to ask). Tell the CSR that you are trying to see what D* has to offer so you can compare to other service. If you are lucky, you’ll get a great deal. If not, you’ll pay normal retail prices and still get some great HD programming.

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
I got HD for free for a year last year when I called after they (Mastec) failed to show for appointment to install (no call even) the HD upgrade. I did not get very far in the automated phone jail until I said cancel, then I got a very nice lady who apologized, promised me a for-sure install time (which happened) and offered the discount as a courtesy. I am not one to call and say cancel just to try and fish and get something. In my case I was just trying to get someone who thought could actually make something happen around my install, and I indeed got someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.