DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Dish Network website for the phone number to order Discovery HD and noticed this on the page

Interested in enjoying HD Discovery Theater and more HDTV coming soon?
You can see this here http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/discHD/index.shtml

Hmm more HDTV coming soon? HD Net maybe? HD Net Founder Mark Cuban was at the Dish Network Team Summit this past February.

I wonder how soon, soon is?

Dish is offering a good deal for 5000 owners, $299 for a 6000 and it appears that you don't have to send them your 5000 to get the deal.

Ordering Discovery HD was painless, they sent me my module for free as they don't have the annual subscription set up yet. :)

There is a thread in the HDTV area here on DBStalk.COM that gives you more information on Discovery HD

·
AllStar
55 Posts
I'd love to see more network HD offerings. NBC, WB, and UPN are all offering significant HD programming next season. It'd be great to get them along with ABC.

WB and ABC broadcast in 720p...these should be no-brainers, as they take up less transponder space.

Bob

·
Godfather
258 Posts
Looks like they are going to make you buy the 8PSK adapter if you want to subscribe monthly. :(

I wonder when they are planning on shifting all HDTV content to the new standard?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I have heard is that in the November / December time frame HBO and Showtime will go 8PSK only, but by then there should be enough modules to go around, and the cost will probably be free.

At the moment the module is free is you subscribe to Discovery HD for a year, if you want Discovery HD for month to month the cost is $49.95.

Its one of the cost for being an early adopter.

For me Discovery HD is not worth the money they want, all the shows are repeats already, but I subscribed for a year to get my module and to help support the HD movement.

G

·
Just got off the phone with DISH. DESPITE the web site, this is NOT being offered until July 8th!

Dorks...

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I already order mine, dmodemd, dont call the regular 1-800-333-DISH number, you need to call 1-888-220-DISH instead and tell them you want to Order Discovery HD and the Enhanced HD Cartridge.

Was told I should get my cartridge in 3 to 5 business days.

·
Icon
955 Posts
Considering Mark Cuban's appearance @TS & the reports of cordial discussions, along w/the switch to 8PSK, I think we can anticipate HDNet coming on DISH before the end of the year.

They may decide to wait until the merger shakes out or possibly to debut it when it goes to 3 channels in the winter.

I would bet that the next NW to come on board would be PBS. ABC has already stated that they're not interested

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.