DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great! This piece of #$#@@ just cost me MORE missed shows, including the finale of Survivor. I just returned from the weekend and NOTHING has recorded since Friday night. Each of the recordings brought up the "Keep" or "Delete Options" immediately. I reset the unit and they are GONE.

Thanks, DirecTV, for more blown recordings! :(

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Ouch! That has happened to me twice on week-long vacations on a previous release of the software. Very frustrating.

Can you take a deep breath, and tell us:
Which version of the software you are on?
What were the first two shows that failed to record including which channel? (Local or non local, HD or SD, etc.)
What did you see on the screen when you first turned on the TV? Grey, black, frozen picture, live picture correct for the station it was tuned to?
And, what does the history say about those shows?

Again, I've felt that anger and pain. I hope you can catch most of the shows via the web or friends or re-runs and I know that isn't right, but I hope it helps.
Tom

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tibber said:
Ouch! That has happened to me twice on week-long vacations on a previous release of the software. Very frustrating.

Can you take a deep breath, and tell us:
Which version of the software you are on?
What were the first two shows that failed to record including which channel? (Local or non local, HD or SD, etc.)
What did you see on the screen when you first turned on the TV? Grey, black, frozen picture, live picture correct for the station it was tuned to?
And, what does the history say about those shows?

Again, I've felt that anger and pain. I hope you can catch most of the shows via the web or friends or re-runs and I know that isn't right, but I hope it helps.
Tom
Thanks for your empathy.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) 0xfa
2) 1 v. 100 or Hannah Montana. Both scheduled to record at the same time but didn't. Both listed as recorded but didn't. Both SD.
3) I saw a frozen screen from Public TV. I may have even paused it at that point on Friday. I couldn't access the "List" immediately. I had to turn the channel and then I could access the list.
4) It shows they recorded on the history but they are not listed when I select "List".

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
gthorson said:
Thanks for your empathy.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) 0xfa
2) 1 v. 100 or Hannah Montana. Both scheduled to record at the same time but didn't. Both listed as recorded but didn't. Both SD.
3) I saw a frozen screen from Public TV. I may have even paused it at that point on Friday. I couldn't access the "List" immediately. I had to turn the channel and then I could access the list.
4) It shows they recorded on the history but they are not listed when I select "List".
You are very welcome. I still have some reservations about going on trips, even tho i have Tivo based primaries so I won't miss anyhting. I just don't want to document all the things that could have gone wrong.

This sounds just like some of the lockups I've experienced with that release. (We'll see what happens with 0x108 when I get back on friday...) What I think is happening is the HR20 tells the tuners to change channels, but something causes the HR20 to software to think it did when it actually hadn't so the software become out of synch with the hardware and in some cases (like the first day of a vacation trip) it locksup, unable to record correctly. (Turning DD on and off in earlier releases seemed to be a similar problem, but didn't cause lockups, I don't believe.)

Thank you for the details, I'm thinking Directv will be able to use the data to make the Hr20 better for all of us.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Legend
187 Posts
tibber said:
You are very welcome. I still have some reservations about going on trips, even tho i have Tivo based primaries so I won't miss anyhting. I just don't want to document all the things that could have gone wrong.

This sounds just like some of the lockups I've experienced with that release. (We'll see what happens with 0x108 when I get back on friday...) What I think is happening is the HR20 tells the tuners to change channels, but something causes the HR20 to software to think it did when it actually hadn't so the software become out of synch with the hardware and in some cases (like the first day of a vacation trip) it locksup, unable to record correctly. (Turning DD on and off in earlier releases seemed to be a similar problem, but didn't cause lockups, I don't believe.)

Thank you for the details, I'm thinking Directv will be able to use the data to make the Hr20 better for all of us.

Merry Christmas,
Tom
One other thing. Do you know when the last time you did a red-button reset? I had the unwatchable bug for one weekend, after the HR-20 had not been reset in 3 weeks. Not only was I getting the un-watchable bug, but I could not rewind or pause live tv either. I could still watch recorded shows from before the problem started though. From now on, I am giving it a red-button reset at least every two weeks, and will definitely do a reset before I leave for vacation.

·
Legend
183 Posts
I've done three RBR's this weekend - and gotten corrupted recordings since. This is with 10B

·
Mentor
35 Posts
had a similar problem. Checked the "to do" list before we went out for the evening and both the Survivor Finale and Survivor Reunion show were scheduled to record. My wife demanded I check it again. They were both showing "R" in the guide and both were on the to do list. But when we came home, only the Finale had recorded and the Reunion show hadn't, where they announce the winner.

Fortunately, I have an older Tivo in the guest bedroom and it had recorded it. My wife is ready to throw this thing out the window. It did the same thing to an episode of Friday Night Lights last week. Showed on the to do list, but didn't record.

Anybody know a fix for this? Since we travel a lot, it has become completely untrustworthy.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
First, try a red button reset and see if the recordings will now play.

Second, most likely a series link wouldn't have recorded the reunion show as it's not a part of the actualy series but a special.
Tivo's would have the same issue and it's been an issue since Survivor started. There are always reminders found on the Tivo Community TV show forum to remind people to record the reunion show separately as the season pass probably won't pick it up. The HR20 won't be any different.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Second, most likely a series link wouldn't have recorded the reunion show as it's not a part of the actualy series but a special.
Tivo's would have the same issue and it's been an issue since Survivor started. There are always reminders found on the Tivo Community TV show forum to remind people to record the reunion show separately as the season pass probably won't pick it up. The HR20 won't be any different.
Actually, my HR20 (0x10B firmware) series link automatically picked up both the 7:00 show and the 9:00 reunion show, since both were in the guide with the correct title ("Survivor: Cook Islands"). So that's not the problem here.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
If you're having runs of unwatchables, do a full reset and format. you'll lose all your recordings and series links, but it is much more effective than just rebooting. i was losing whole days of shows to that bug, and rebooting did nothing. i did a full format, and i haven't had an unwatchable recording or lockup since.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
NoGoSlo said:
had a similar problem. Checked the "to do" list before we went out for the evening and both the Survivor Finale and Survivor Reunion show were scheduled to record. My wife demanded I check it again. They were both showing "R" in the guide and both were on the to do list. But when we came home, only the Finale had recorded and the Reunion show hadn't, where they announce the winner.

Fortunately, I have an older Tivo in the guest bedroom and it had recorded it. My wife is ready to throw this thing out the window. It did the same thing to an episode of Friday Night Lights last week. Showed on the to do list, but didn't record.

Anybody know a fix for this? Since we travel a lot, it has become completely untrustworthy.
Unfortunately, you already have the only fix, your backup TiVo. That's what I rely on.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
"Second, most likely a series link wouldn't have recorded the reunion show as it's not a part of the actualy series but a special.
Tivo's would have the same issue and it's been an issue since Survivor started. There are always reminders found on the Tivo Community TV show forum to remind people to record the reunion show separately as the season pass probably won't pick it up. The HR20 won't be any different."

I was aware of this from long use of Tivo. That's why I checked the to do list and the guide. It said it was going to record both. It didn't.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
islesfan said:
Unfortunately, you already have the only fix, your backup TiVo. That's what I rely on.
DTV should ship a backup Tivo with every HR20 as a standard feature. I was "HR20'ed" as well last night for survivor ... it did record it ... but 30 minutes into the show it suffered from Turetts syndrone and clipped audio and video every 4 seconds for the remainder of the show.

I am having DTV come aout AGAIN to replace the unit. I think the locals in San Diego are just broken. This will mark my third attempt at DTV trying to fix this broken unit. At least they keep giving me free services and discounts because I complain to them. They threw in another free 6 months for this last one.

·
Legend
127 Posts
It IS anoying. I missed the finale of The Biggest Loser. I was pretty POed. I happen to look at my old DirecTivo and it had recorded it as a suggestion. Man I miss that thing. I really hate defending the HR20 to my wife. She keeps asking "Why did we buy this thing again?" I am starting to ask myself the same question.

·
AllStar
54 Posts
i feel bad for getting my old man the HR20. so far it has missed many shows for him. he set about 18-19 manual record. some would not record.

i might have to find a HR10 for him. i felt terrible because he is not DVR savy.

how can i tell the guy to delete everything and redo all the recording.

i myself dropped the R15 and went back to the R10.

DTV, you need to get the HR20 fix. too many f%$#[email protected]#n bugs

i pay over $80 for my sub. da$#in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.