DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· AllStar
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to Dish and HD. I've searched the forums for possible solutions, but can't say I have a solid direction to go in. I'm looking for advice on how to record more than 2 shows in the same time slot and I only have a couple weeks to get ready before the new seasons to start. Thursday is my dilemma day (don't laugh): Survivor, the Office and Smallville. We recently signed up with Dish for a 722 which controls our HDTV in the living room and CRT TV in the bedroom - that's it. It seems that my possible solutions are to either get a second DVR or connect an OTA to the 722. Since Smallville is on the CW and it's not in HD on Dish, then recording on a second DVR in the bedroom would seem to make sense. Unless it's offered in HD for an OTA antenna. I don't know if it is in my area (Anaheim, CA). Anyone know the costs for a second SD DVR? The OTA option isn't that desirable to me since I just finished remodeling my home and don't want a big ugly antenna on my roof. Plus, I now have stucco and I've read that an internal/attic antenna wouldn't work well with the metal mesh within the stucco. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
I am in SoCal Beagan.... and have a 722 and have it connected with OTA and yes I do believe you get CW.. How you can find out is go to antenna.org and do a search for your area. If you have line of sight to MT Wilson then I highly recommend getting OTA set up if you can so you can record 3 stations at one time. It rocks.

I personally am in Yorba Linda, CA and I am able to pick up Mt Wilson with a small outside antenna with pre-amp so my guess is that you would also be able to.

For the record.. I am also a Survivor fan and Office fan so there is nothing to be ashamed about. ;) Well not sure about Smallville though. ;)

9,883 Posts
I believe it is a Channel Master 4228 if I recall correctly. You should go with a directional one and Channel Master's have a good reputation in this area. Other good place for OTA recommendations is the locals area on our sister site AVSForum

· AllStar
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I just reviewed the programming in question and I see that there is no conflict...I could have swore that the Office was within the 8:00 hour. So, if I read your setup correctly I can settle for content from the CW with Dish in SD or get an OTA for HD from that channel. I'll have to look into the antenna you mentioned. Thanks again!

9,883 Posts
Yep... Can't get CW in HD from Dish so your only choice would be through OTA if CW is channel 5. (Not a big CW watcher but I think that his the channel). If you can do OTA.. I highly suggest it. Really adds a lot to your receiver.

9,883 Posts
Sorry Lujan I just never really watched it.. as for what is a good show and what is not I personally consider it a very subjective and I personally enjoy both Survivor and Office and though I have watched about 30 minutes or so of Smallville it was something that just didn't grab me.

As for my comment.. It was meant as a bit on tongue and check and that is why I added the wink... It really was meant as a joke and didn't mean to say that Survivor and Office are much better than Smallville because since I have not watched Smallville enough I can't make that personal observation.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
Ron Barry said:
... It really was meant as a joke and didn't mean to say that Survivor and Office are much better than Smallville because since I have not watched Smallville enough I can't make that personal observation.
Ron,

I think lujan understood that and was himself making a joke. :)

9,883 Posts
Figured that.. but wanted to make sure my intentions. :D

· Hall Of Fame
1,203 Posts
SaltiDawg said:
Ron,

I think lujan understood that was was himself making a joke. :)
That's right, I was only joking. I watched "Survivor" way back for the first couple of seasons and just stopped. I have also tried "Office" and it also didn't grab me. "Smallville", though is one of my favorite shows.

· AllStar
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out the antenna and some others and they look pretty large. Anyone in Orange County have luck with an indoor one? I know there's pages and pages of threads to go through on the avsforum, but I was hoping someone on this forum with a similar Dish setup might be able to post what luck they had. I checked out www.antenna.org, but that just seems like a generic search engine site.

· AllStar
52 Posts
beagan said:
I checked out www.antenna.org, but that just seems like a generic search engine site.
You might want to check-out www.tvfool.com

This site is very helpful with good info. They also have Post-transition
(after 2/17/09) info on locals. Looks like many will change and we'll have to change also. Some are even moving from UHF back to upper VHF. That sucks if you have a UHF only antenna.

· Hall Of Fame
1,133 Posts
hey beagan, on the antenna dilemma, is your home a 1 or 2 story unit? Mine is a 1.5 story (first floor is half buried in the front :) ), and I have the CM 4228 I think (big square one). the gents that put it in for me came out with a signal meter to find the best spot on my roof to receive signals, and it ended up being located just on the back side of the center of the roof. From the street, it's virtually unseen, only about 1 foot or two sticks above the roof line, and it happens to be sideways, so it's anything but "ugly".

having had OTA for the whole time I've had HD, and having had numerous cases of 3 or 4 recordings at the same time issues, I can say whole heartedly, if you get the OTA antenna running, you won't care what it looks like.

1) OTA signal is never worse than Dish's signal, usually it's better.

2) OTA should work in cases where a storm might knock out your sat signal (well, that is if you get enough rain there to knock the signal out haha)

3) OTA stations often have subchannels Dish won't be carrying, for me in Wash DC, ABC/CBS/NBC now have their main channel plus 2 sub channels, PBS has 4 channels, and I happen to be local to ION, which is broadcasting 6 or 8. This is just an example of what you might get you aren't getting without OTA.

For me, the sub channels are usually 24/7 weather radar, but I noticed the other day, ABC.2 was airing the original Knight Rider, A-Team, and something else from that era during prime time. Found that kind of interesting that the local stations were using part of their signal to carry old programming like that.

I could not survive without my OTA, as I'm always running into recording issues. This week alone, due to my OTA suddenly not having signal (I need to figure out why, I'm guessing the cable has come apart somewhere. it did happen right after hannah went thru this weekend). I had to skip some recordings this week so shows I intended to catch on OTA could be done off sat tuners, and move those skipped ones to a secondary show time. Gotta say, that is one thing I really love about shows on USA, SciFi, TNT, etc., they repeat them later in the evening when I have tuners available :)

It's the darn networks I need to get to start doing the same thing now hahaha

9,883 Posts
Actually I took a look at I think I have the CM3022. The main point here is to unidirectional. As for indoor, I tried originally a few years back and was not successful at all in Yorba Linda.

· Godfather
359 Posts

· AllStar
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To experiment, I tried out a very old pair of rabbit ears on my Sony XBR4 52 and was surprised at all the channels that came in. However, there were several that were pixelated. But the one I wanted, the CW channel 5, came in perfect. I wasn't quite sure if the picture was accurate. It looks as though it's slighty stretched on the sides. Do OTA locals do stretch-o-vision? I saw that channel 13 was available as well, but didn't get that great of a signal. Does that mean that syndicated Seinfeld is in HD? I'll have to wait for it to come on to see. Thanks for all the input fellas. I'll be making a purchase soon, I'm sure.

9,883 Posts
ShapeShifter said:
I think the site Ron had intended you to check is: http://www.antennaweb.org
Yep.. forgot the web part of if.. Duh!! Like I said in another post I have been swamped at work and home and my brain just is not firing on all cylinders. Thanks for the correction ShapeShifter

· Hall Of Fame
1,133 Posts
beagan said:
To experiment, I tried out a very old pair of rabbit ears on my Sony XBR4 52 and was surprised at all the channels that came in. However, there were several that were pixelated. But the one I wanted, the CW channel 5, came in perfect. I wasn't quite sure if the picture was accurate. It looks as though it's slighty stretched on the sides. Do OTA locals do stretch-o-vision? I saw that channel 13 was available as well, but didn't get that great of a signal. Does that mean that syndicated Seinfeld is in HD? I'll have to wait for it to come on to see. Thanks for all the input fellas. I'll be making a purchase soon, I'm sure.
some broadcasters seem to think we want even SD programming in 16:9 stretched mode, which I'd say most don't, and just about every TV or box can do, so why not deliver it as 4:3 and let the customer choose ? :)

As to stuff like Seinfeld in HD, if they picked up HD copies no reason for it not to be :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.