DBSTalk Forum banner

More than 8 HD-DVR Receivers?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SCMaverick 
#1 ·
We're doing some additions to our house and will have more rooms to put HD-DVRs in and I'm not sure how to go about hooking them all up.

I have the original 6x8 multiswitch that came with installation. I later had to upgrade to the WB616 because we eventually needed more than just the 4 DVRs.

My question is can I use both of those at the same time to distribute the signal that I need? If so, how can I do that? If not, what alternatives do I have?

Thanks so much!

#6 ·
Mertzen said:
Actually cascading 6*8s off a 6*16 is allowed by Zinwell.
Hrm, did not know that, I will have to check the documents again. I guess it is just you cannot cascade the 6*8 off a 6*8 and 6*16 off a 6*16 then right? (I have heard many say Zinwell does not recommend those situations)

#7 ·
#8 ·
SCMaverick said:
We're doing some additions to our house and will have more rooms to put HD-DVRs in and I'm not sure how to go about hooking them all up.

I have the original 6x8 multiswitch that came with installation. I later had to upgrade to the WB616 because we eventually needed more than just the 4 DVRs.

My question is can I use both of those at the same time to distribute the signal that I need? If so, how can I do that? If not, what alternatives do I have?

Thanks so much!
depending on the number of dvrs you're putting in, just run four lines to the next switch, make sure you use the right input.

I hope that helps, good luck!

#10 ·
Mertzen said:
The issue is you're not supposed to cascade one WB68 from another because they are both unpowered and there can be problems getting the satellite selection voltage through from the receiver to the dish, and also sometimes getting enough power to drive the LNBs. If you use a WB616 this is a powered multiswitch and so the dish does not have to rely on getting power and the sat selection signal from the receiver, so cascading a WB616 to a WB68 is fine.

#13 ·
Grentz said:
and WOW, more than 8 HD-DVRs! You must have a lot of people in your house, or watch a lot of TV!
There are 5 people here all the time and we occasionally get guests so you gotta take care of them...

Mertzen said:
6*8 off 6*8: no. 6*16 off 6*16 :yes

Page 4 of the manual:
Thanks. I think that's exactly what I was looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.