DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haver purchased a Box trailer that I am converting to make it into a Tailgate Party Trailer. I am wanting to mount a bracket on the roof so that when I stop and setup tailgate I can just go to the roof and slide on my Dish and set it to the satellites. I am concerned about make sure the Dish is "plumb" so I can get a signal.I am looking at the wall mount shown in below link.. I would mount the wall mount on my trailer roof with a J pipe attached to the actual TV base mounting area. When I parked the trailer I could slide the dish on the J pipe and then I could "tilt" the base to level Dish if needed? I would think since the dish doesn't weigh much that any LCD wall arm would be stable enough to hold the dish in place. I know the base of the mount wouldn't tilt a huge amount but the trailer should be fairly level no matter where I park and I would just need a few degrees of tilt toward the Front/Back and Left/Right. What do you guys think?

http://www.beachaudio.com/Fpm90s-p-146989.html?GCID=C12585x005&gclid=CNvj977cjZUCFQ9KQgodq37rgw
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mertzen said:
What dish would you be using. Plumb is important but I wouldn't loose my head over it, especially with SD only dishes.
The last 3 years we have used the 3 LNB dish on a Tripod but I have changed the receiver that I use from my home from the old D10 to a new H21. I guess I could still use the old 3 LNB dish but I wouldn't get any of the New MPEG4 channels while tailgating(not sure if I need any new MPEG4s there) so I might need to get a new Slimline 5 LNB dish for the Trailer.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
houskamp said:
Just mount the 5lnb to your tripod.. either make up an adapter or have someone weld a piece or 2"OD pipe to it..
I want to eliminate the use of the Tripod that is why I am trying to figure out a way to mount something on roof of the trailer like you have a mount on the roof of your house that is permanently in place. Since the trailer maybe parked at different locations at different times for tailgating I need some mount that has some capability for adjustments.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,779 Posts

· Mentor
Joined
·
43 Posts
It all depends on which dish you plan to use. As long as you can get a flat mounting surface that will support the foot of the dish ( figure at least 6 bolts for a kaku, plus 4 more for the monopoles) you could use the standard j mount. Have a 1/2" or 13mm wrench and a magnetic level to get it plumb and level. Can you post a photo of the trailer.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
For a rock-solid signal lock with an unstable object such as
a trailer, get a KVH phased array -- it'll even work on a boat.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
deboxer1 said:
It all depends on which dish you plan to use. As long as you can get a flat mounting surface that will support the foot of the dish ( figure at least 6 bolts for a kaku, plus 4 more for the monopoles) you could use the standard j mount. Have a 1/2" or 13mm wrench and a magnetic level to get it plumb and level. Can you post a photo of the trailer.
The trailer is parked at a friend's house. I'll get a picture and get it posted.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
carl6 said:
Kvh = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Not so much...it's more like $,$$$, but for anyone who can afford a tricked-out
tail-gate trailer, the $,$$$ shouldn't be a problem. It's all about spending your
extra bucks on what's important to you.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
Nice rig, Ron. Now just trick it out, add your team colors,
top it off with a low-profile KVH and you're good to go!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick said:
Nice rig, Ron. Now just trick it out, add your team colors,
top it off with a low-profile KVH and you're good to go!
I would love to have the KVH but the Trailer only cost $1800 and we have added a Laminate Floor,Tile Side Boards on wall,Pole mount for LCD TV and Storage bin all for about $200 so we only have $2000 in the trailer,the KVH is like $2000 itself isn't it?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
I think I'd just use the standard J-mount and mount it on the front side of the trailer, high enough that the dish would clear the roof once you put it on the mount. Just make sure you reinforce the inside of the wall so the screws don't pull out.

That way wouldn't have to climb on the roof or use a ladder. You could probably step on that storage box on the tongue and install it quickly and with ease.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TigersFanJJ said:
I think I'd just use the standard J-mount and mount it on the front side of the trailer, high enough that the dish would clear the roof once you put it on the mount. Just make sure you reinforce the inside of the wall so the screws don't pull out.

That way wouldn't have to climb on the roof or use a ladder. You could probably step on that storage box on the tongue and install it quickly and with ease.
That seems like a Great idea thanks for the input.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top