DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Icon
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be having a Dish1000 mounted to a new house in a few weeks. Trying to determine best location. I'm thinking near the top of a gable on an eave (sloping up at 12/4). The eave is a 2x6, but has almost half of it covered with rounded clay tile. I know what the foot of the mast looks like on a "standard" install. Can it be mounted at the angle of the eave, on about a 3" space?

The house is stucco, the eave protrudes from the house maybe 6". I'd like to run my cables to the location (don't want the installer messing inside my attic), but I want to be sure the dish can be mounted where I want it. The dish would be aimed towards the house (SW).

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
A picture of the proposed site might be helpful.

You need enough surface area for the entire foot of the dish to be bolted and better yet, it should be over a beam coming in at 90 degrees to the mounting point.

If 1/2 of the 2X6 is covered, it could be a problem and will the 2X6 stand up to the tortional forces put on it by the dish.

·
Icon
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here's a shot of an eave on the house (it's actually a different eave without the roof below) and where I'd like the dish (dish is a spliced in image). I don't own the house yet, so I need to get a better measurement of the available 2x6. I've seen pivoting brackets that are 4.5" x 9" that might fit if a section of the 1x2 trim piece is chopped out.

Bracket I'm thinking of:

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
Is there any place on the lot where you can use a pole mount?

BTY, it looks like the soffits are covered, so there might be a beam coming out to the edge of the roof.

·
Icon
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know there's studs on the stucco wall, I could always add a double stud inside the attic and bolt the foot to the stucco. Just not sure what the mounting arm dimensions are, if it will get it out past the soffit and up past the roof-line.

·
Icon
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning toward the rotating bracket in my post above. My facia face is a 2" x 8" (with about 6" exposed), with 2x6 supports from the attic. The bracket could hit the 2x6 at one end. The bracket is 4.5" x 9". It just looks a little wimpy (for a 1000.2) with such a small bolt pattern on the pivot.

I may be better off adding a 2x4 under the 2 x 8, and mounting the mast base right to the facia. If facia mounting is not Dish policy, will the installer install it there?

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Just use wood or metal "framing" to establish a mounting point(s) similar to below. Two horizonal pieces of Unistrut would work fine. It just depends on the structural integrity of the eave fascia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.