DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all do I need when I'm doing this? I know I need a 1 5/8" pole/mast and some cement, but how much should I use and how low should I dig and all of that stuff?

Thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
narunetto said:
What all do I need when I'm doing this? I know I need a 1 5/8" pole/mast and some cement, but how much should I use and how low should I dig and all of that stuff?

Thanks!
Do you mean how do I pole mount a dish 500 or do you really want to mount it in a hole?

· Legend
115 Posts
I have a some what related question to this:
if you mount your dish on a 6 ft pole, 2ft in the ground, when your finished mounting the pole and dish, what is the best way to ground this or is it considered grounded since its 2ft in the ground already?
or just add a 4ft gound rod?

PLMK

· Super Moderator
10,091 Posts
todbnla said:
I have a some what related question to this:
if you mount your dish on a 6 ft pole, 2ft in the ground, when your finished mounting the pole and dish, what is the best way to ground this or is it considered grounded since its 2ft in the ground already?
or just add a 4ft gound rod?

PLMK
Since concrete is not a conductor, I would still add a proper ground.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
blooker68 said:
Put an inch long screw or bolt into the pole where it will be in the concrete. It will keep the pole from ever turning.
You can also accomplish this by cutting off the pole at a 45 degree angle, or by smashing the end with a hammer. But some method must be used to keep the pole from spinning in the concrete, or the wind hitting the dish will eventually do so.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIP said:
You can also accomplish this by cutting off the pole at a 45 degree angle, or by smashing the end with a hammer. But some method must be used to keep the pole from spinning in the concrete, or the wind hitting the dish will eventually do so.
When I put the dish on the pole, will it be snug, or do I need something at that point to keep the dish from moving on the pole?

Also, about it being plumb, all I would need is a level right?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Assuming you're using a 1 5/8" (1.66") pole, such as a chain link fence post, the clamp on the dish will grip it snugly, just like the factory post.

You'll want to use a level to plumb the pole, yes. Plumb means level in both directions.

· Legend
115 Posts
brant said:
concrete is a conductor;

but you are right, it still needs to be bonded to the service of the structure it serves to keep them at equal potential.
Thanks, the main is on the other side of the house but the central a/c is close bye so I will tie it in there and I planned to weld a "T" of flatbar to keep it from moving on the bottom of my post, sorry NO frost line here.

· AllStar
97 Posts
It used to be 80 lbs a bag. Cheapskates. I used two of those bags and had some left over.

Also, as mentioned, do something to the pole where it's in the concrete to give it an irregular shape, otherwise the pole will eventually turn in the concrete.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
Another consideration is drainage inside the pole. Possibly putting the bottom 2-4 inches in gravel and concrete up from there so moisture inside can drain out and not rot the pole off from the inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.