DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
rahlquist said:
Any thoughts on mounting a Zinwell or possible a SWM in an enclosure like this;

Would it require forced ventilation if say it was in a garage thats capable of getting past 90deg in the summer...
You should be fine. The SWM just needs to be inside and the power inserter needs to have at least 15 feet of coax between it an the SWM

· Icon
769 Posts
rahlquist said:
Would it require forced ventilation if say it was in a garage thats capable of getting past 90deg in the summer...
While not a requirement, most manufacturer's recommend that you DO NOT install their media enclosures and components in a garage or other 'damp' location. I'm not positive on this, but it seems like the leviton rep told me if I installed one of their SMC's in a garage, etc. . . it would void the 20 year application assurance certification and extended component warranty.

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brant said:
While not a requirement, most manufacturer's recommend that you DO NOT install their media enclosures and components in a garage or other 'damp' location. I'm not positive on this, but it seems like the leviton rep told me if I installed one of their SMC's in a garage, etc. . . it would void the 20 year application assurance certification and extended component warranty.
OK I live in Georgia the nearest non damp install location is Oklahoma. :lol:

All kidding aside, wouldn't the in garage enclosure be better from a damp perspective than outside on the wall of the house where its getting rained on?

EDIT read your post again after I thinned out the blood in my caffeine system. Now it makes sense. So the box would loose its warranty in my garage. Wonder if I fully turn it into a game room with sheetrock and all if that would do it too. Hmmmm

· Icon
769 Posts
you won't lose the 1yr defective parts warranty; you would lose the 2yr extended warranty and 20 yr application assurance warranty. you have to submit an application before the install and test results after the install to leviton to get that warranty, and be certified by leviton (sit through a class and eat a terrible, but free, lunch).

put it inside the house where it can get some cool air.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.