DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this all about? Just noticed on my HR21 that there are 4 movies that apparently were downloaded through the internet just waiting for me to select and pay 5 bucks each for. This is BS, if I want to purchase a movie through "on demand" I will do it without D* inticement by sticking it in my face.

This must also mean that it is using space on the hard drive and depriving me of my own choices. And there is no way to delete them until they expire in a couple months. Can this even be legal?:nono2: :mad:

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
Also the movies are not downloaded through your net connection. They were recorded off a Satellite broadcast so if you wish you can watch them without the wait or worry of ISP charges.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
FlBillsfan said:
I have 6 movies on my hard drive. That is WASTED reserved space I could use if I were allowed to access it.
To the best of my knowledge, DirecTV DVRs have always had a chunk of drive space reserved for their own use, and there's no way they're going to open up that space for the user.

I just figure, let 'em do whatever they want with their own space - I'm certainly not going to get my nose all out of joint thinking they're screwing me out of something I could be using myself, because that just isn't the case.

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crow159 said:
Those movies are recorded on to the reserved space on the hard drive. It does not reduce your amount of space you have for your own recordings.
If that is the case then it is a whole lot of space I can't use. There are 4 HD movies that have downloaded. That must be about 24GB or 10% of the hard drive capacity. And to address another comment, it certainly is downloaded off the internet because when I go into the on-demand menus these movies are checked off as having been downloaded to my DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
1,743 Posts
Hdhead said:
If that is the case then it is a whole lot of space I can't use. There are 4 HD movies that have downloaded. That must be about 24GB or 10% of the hard drive capacity. And to address another comment, it certainly is downloaded off the internet because when I go into the on-demand menus these movies are checked off as having been downloaded to my DVR.
The recordings have program ids encoded in them so the DVR can associate it with the On Demand system. It doesn't matter how it was received. I can say with certainty they are not downloaded because two of my DVRs are not networked and they have the recordings.

· Legend
153 Posts
JLucPicard said:
To the best of my knowledge, DirecTV DVRs have always had a chunk of drive space reserved for their own use, and there's no way they're going to open up that space for the user.

I just figure, let 'em do whatever they want with their own space - I'm certainly not going to get my nose all out of joint thinking they're screwing me out of something I could be using myself, because that just isn't the case.
I knew Direct TV had reserved space, however 6 HD movies on my hard drive is CRAZY. I would like to access that space & put it to better use, like recording something I would like to watch when I get a chance, NOT a PPV 24 Hr rental I WILL NEVER PAY FOR & WATCH.

· AllStar
96 Posts
Hdhead said:
And to address another comment, it certainly is downloaded off the internet because when I go into the on-demand menus these movies are checked off as having been downloaded to my DVR.
As said before they are pushed via sat, I watched "Charlie Wilson's War"
at our cabin, no 'net connection....

· Registered
16,423 Posts
FlBillsfan said:
I knew Direct TV had reserved space, however 6 HD movies on my hard drive is CRAZY. I would like to access that space & put it to better use, like recording something I would like to watch when I get a chance, NOT a PPV 24 Hr rental I WILL NEVER PAY FOR & WATCH.
You can't access that space, it belongs to DirecTV and they'll use it as they see fit.

In no way are "Movies Now" affecting your ability to record other shows/movies.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
FlBillsfan said:
Scream at me - there's nothing I can do about it. Scream at DirecTV, that won't get you anything but less oxygen. But if it makes you feel better to scream, then by all means, let loose. :nono2:

· Registered
14,213 Posts
Hdhead said:
What is this all about? Just noticed on my HR21 that there are 4 movies that apparently were downloaded through the internet just waiting for me to select and pay 5 bucks each for. This is BS, if I want to purchase a movie through "on demand" I will do it without D* inticement by sticking it in my face.

This must also mean that it is using space on the hard drive and depriving me of my own choices. And there is no way to delete them until they expire in a couple months. Can this even be legal?:nono2: :mad:
None of your recording space is being used. The following applies to Showcases and Movies. According to DIRECTV*:

Will Showcases programs affect space or schedulings of my recordings?

No, programs in the Showcase tab will NOT impact your available playlist recording space.

Showcase programs are recorded using reserved disk space that is separate from your personal recording area.

Programs that enter your Showcase tab will never orverride a scheduling recording on your DIRECTV Plus DVR. Programs for the Showcases tab will be recorded when your DIRECTV Plus DVR is not in use.
Outside of the bad grammar (schedulings?), the intention is that Showcases never should interfere with a scheduled recording and it won't take up your space.

*Source: Channel 114 > Customer Support Interactive Tool (wait for it to load) > Answer Center > Programming > DIRECTV Plus DVR > Page 2

· Registered
529 Posts
Hdhead said:
My HR21-700 is not networked. It has no Internet connection. I have 9 HD PPV movies in my Movies Now tab. These movies are pushed onto the Hard drive from the Sat.

The Directv reserved space is not accessible to you. It will never be accessible to you. If you need more recording space I would suggest an ESATA hard drive larger than what is in your DVR. If you do get a larger hard drive, the Directv reserved space stays the same size as it is now. It is a set amount of space, not a percentage of the drive size.

I look forward to the possibilities that the Movies Now tab will offer. As stated, I am not capable at this time for On Demand. If Directv does start to push some of the most popular content down to the DVRs, it would give me access to things I can't get right now.

· Legend
153 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
1. reserved space is ok but thats waaaaay too much reserved space.
2. guess i found another item to add to the wish list.
3. i wouldnt pay for those movies just for Spite !!.....how bout then apples.
Thank you, this is what I am saying. How about repartitioning the hard drive Direct TV? Direct TV really does not NEED that much room on my hard drive. I also feel it would be much more useful if they had trailers of the movies they want you to watch on showcases rather than the movie itself. If a movie looks good from a trailer, I can go to the PPV channel & download it myself. (Not that I ever will with the 24 Hr rental)

· Legend
153 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
1. reserved space is ok but thats waaaaay too much reserved space.
2. guess i found another item to add to the wish list.
3. i wouldnt pay for those movies just for Spite !!.....how bout then apples.
Thank you, this is what I am saying. How about repartitioning the hard drive Direct TV? Direct TV really does not NEED that much room on my hard drive. I also feel it would be much more useful if they had trailers of the movies they want you to watch on showcases rather than the movie itself. If a movie looks good from a trailer, I can go to the PPV channel & download it myself. (Not that I ever will with the 24 Hr rental)

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
FlBillsfan said:
How about repartitioning the hard drive Direct TV?
You're paying for a DVR with a specified recording capacity, and you're getting exactly that. They even allow you to add an external hard drive if you need more room. It's not like DirecTV just decided to take away the space, you've never had it. Your complaint is baseless.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.