DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off let me say this is a great forum. I have obtained very useful information since I have been reading. So with that this is my 1st post. I searched for posts to see if I could find the info but was unsuccessful. Plus this is my first real issue with D*, so here I go. :eek2: I have been a loyal D* TV custom for four years now. I got a new job and made a last minute move in January to a new state and did the move. I had to move in to an apartment for the time since I was trying to sell my house. Well I finally got the house sold, and bought a new house. I called D* to move my service and they wanted to charge me $200. since I have already move once this year. I told them I wasn't even able to move it myself because its on a pole and not on a regular mount. They told me there was nothing they could nor for me. Its a little frustrating to know I have been a great customer for them and I am even adding a new receiver as well, but theres nothing they can do for me but charge me $200. Has anyone else run in to this issue? If so what are some options I might have.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
If you consider what it costs to do a whole new install from scratch (and, remember, they've already done this TWICE for you), $200 isn't at all unreasonable. IMO, a local installer will charge you more than that, since they would have to provide you a dish and probably a switch, along with supplies and labor.

It's either that or wait out the year.

Honestly, "loyal" because you pay your bill and get your service doesn't mean that you can spend DirecTV's money all the time so that you can move your service around. Giving away a free Mover's Connection once a year is more than reasonable; I can't think of too many other such services that even do that.

· AllStar
95 Posts
It is disappointing, I agree. I am not sure what the early termination fee would be for you, but you could always cancel Directv if the $200 install cost is more than the early termination fee.

Trying to find any contactor who will install dishes and run cable is a major pain--I had a bugger of a time finding anyone who would do it years back when I added my first Directv Tivo and needed just a second run of cable for the dual tuners. I changed out the LNB myself.

Lately, I've been looking around for an installer to put up an external antenna for OTA HD (to feed my eyetv), and that's a big hassle. Seems like the entire business is doing Dish and Directv installs.

All things considered, if one has to pay, $200 isn't bad.

I remember back in 1995 it was the same $200 and they did a whole lot less back then (mount the dish, single run of cable ran on the outside of the house and drilled through the outside wall to a single receiver) than I just had done in March (2 additional runs of cable to make 4 to the back of my LCD, install slimline dish, and a wall fish on the 2 new runs of cable) for what was considered a standard install. I got it for free as part of a retention deal I was able to negotiate with the CSR. And I was bargaining from a position of strength since I hadn't gotten any freebies for years and would have taken Dish with no out-of-pockets if Directv would not waive the cost.

· Godfather
640 Posts
Grentz said:
Hehe, back in 1996 I paid $500 for the self install kit and had to do it all myself! and that was for a good ole standard SD receiver ;)
We sold our home and moved into a condo for a few months. They did the install at no charge. When we moved into our new home they also did that install at no charge. That was in 2005. I would try again. It's amazing how many different answers you can get depending on who to talk to at DirecTv.

· Legend
189 Posts
Gobra said:
1st off let me say this is a great forum. I have obtained very useful information since I have been reading. So with that this is my 1st post. I searched for posts to see if I could find the info but was unsuccessful. Plus this is my first real issue with D*, so here I go. :eek2: I have been a loyal D* TV custom for four years now. I got a new job and made a last minute move in January to a new state and did the move. I had to move in to an apartment for the time since I was trying to sell my house. Well I finally got the house sold, and bought a new house. I called D* to move my service and they wanted to charge me $200. since I have already move once this year. I told them I wasn't even able to move it myself because its on a pole and not on a regular mount. They told me there was nothing they could nor for me. Its a little frustrating to know I have been a great customer for them and I am even adding a new receiver as well, but theres nothing they can do for me but charge me $200. Has anyone else run in to this issue? If so what are some options I might have.
Shoot of an email to this address and im sure they will help you out.chase. [email protected] good luck.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
IMO, emailing this kind of thing to the CEO is abusing the system. Granted, he won't read it (he has a staff for that), but that is really for major, major screwups, not for "I want it free" requests.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
IIP said:
IMO, emailing this kind of thing to the CEO is abusing the system. Granted, he won't read it (he has a staff for that), but that is really for major, major screwups, not for "I want it free" requests.
I agree 100%.

The way DirecTV is doing things now in terms of freebies is a lot tighter than it was in 2005. I also believe that the "Terms and Conditions" regarding Mover's Connection state that they will do one free move per 12 month period.

And all due respect to the OP, but when I see "loyal customer for four years", I read "customer for four years". Maybe it's just that I've been a customer for twelve years now, but four years doesn't really seem long enough to tack the "loyal" label onto it - especially given that the context is usually that it carries with it some entitlement aspect in which they should be given something for it (in this case, a second free move within a year). I'm sorry you find yourself in the position you are currently in, but I see nothing wrong with DirecTV wanting to charge you for a second move within a one year span.

· Legend
189 Posts
JLucPicard said:
I agree 100%.

The way DirecTV is doing things now in terms of freebies is a lot tighter than it was in 2005. I also believe that the "Terms and Conditions" regarding Mover's Connection state that they will do one free move per 12 month period.

And all due respect to the OP, but when I see "loyal customer for four years", I read "customer for four years". Maybe it's just that I've been a customer for twelve years now, but four years doesn't really seem long enough to tack the "loyal" label onto it - especially given that the context is usually that it carries with it some entitlement aspect in which they should be given something for it (in this case, a second free move within a year). I'm sorry you find yourself in the position you are currently in, but I see nothing wrong with DirecTV wanting to charge you for a second move within a one year span.
It is worth a try.There have been people on this forum and with directv for less than 6 months being given out freebies all the time.Ive been with DTV for over 14 years and they never cut me a break on anything and i dont expect to get any free hand outs but if you can do things for a few than why not do it for all.Contact the ceo it has seemed to help out others when the csr's couldnt.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Taltizer said:
It is worth a try.There have been people on this forum and with directv for less than 6 months being given out freebies all the time.Ive been with DTV for over 14 years and they never cut me a break on anything and i dont expect to get any free hand outs but if you can do things for a few than why not do it for all.Contact the ceo it has seemed to help out others when the csr's couldnt.
The point is, it's way over the top to contact the CEO of a company whining about not getting a freebie that is clearly contradictory to the terms and conditions of their established program.

It's worth a try??? It's also a great way to get on the same radar that got thousands of Sprint customers dumped from their service. Whether it's the VP of Customer Relations or the CEO, direct contact with them should be used in cases where there truly is a problem, and not just to whine about a situation that you caused yourself.

Trust me, I'm sure it sucks to have to move twice in one year, but the fact that that's what the OP is dealing with was not caused by DirecTV and I fail to see why it should be their problem - and certainly NOT something you take up their corporate ladder! :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

It may not be what people want to do, but there come certain situations where you just have to suck it up and pay the piper. Sometimes our problems are just that - OUR problems - and we don't have to try to find someone else to deal with them.

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I agree with the Loyal part. I was frustrated when I typed the message. I know there are several people who have been with them for a long time now, and I plan on being one of those people. I am very happy with my service, and I would move it myselfm but like I said, its on a pole here and I don't have the other hardware to place it on my roof at my new residence. I am sorry if I have upset anyone with my message I was just attemping to see if anyone else had a similar situation and if they had any ideas to help it out. I dont plan on emailing anyone, because thats not how I am, I will call them back and see what happens and go from there. Ive been in my house for three days now and am going crazy without my D* TV and DVR. Thanks for the help.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Call back and talk to another CSR. Also, make sure you are calling the mover’s connection number and not the general 800 number. If that doesn’t work, try the customer retention group (call the regular 800 number, then say “cancel service” at the voice prompt). Don’t be rude or demanding, just ask for help and explain your situation. You may find a caring CSR that is willing and able to help. If not, then it might cost you $200.

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
JLucPicard said:
The point is, it's way over the top to contact the CEO of a company whining about not getting a freebie that is clearly contradictory to the terms and conditions of their established program.

It's worth a try??? It's also a great way to get on the same radar that got thousands of Sprint customers dumped from their service. Whether it's the VP of Customer Relations or the CEO, direct contact with them should be used in cases where there truly is a problem, and not just to whine about a situation that you caused yourself.

Trust me, I'm sure it sucks to have to move twice in one year, but the fact that that's what the OP is dealing with was not caused by DirecTV and I fail to see why it should be their problem - and certainly NOT something you take up their corporate ladder! :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

It may not be what people want to do, but there come certain situations where you just have to suck it up and pay the piper. Sometimes our problems are just that - OUR problems - and we don't have to try to find someone else to deal with them.
As long as companies do the things they do people will abuse it. I used to post stuff like this on Sprint forums and it will have the same effect as here I would imagine. Until companies change how their customer base thinks it will always be the same thing and our economy will reflect it.

I have a feeling people with a certain mindset of how they "get things" with D* will be in for a culture shock soon.

· Godfather
640 Posts
I think you folks are off base. The original poster asked a simple and reasonable question. I believe he was inquiring about shared experiences to determine if he had options. The tone of some of the responses is as if he called your wife ugly and your kids slow. My experience in 2005 was quite pleasant. I explained my situation and was told no problem they would take care of both moves. Have they changed? I don't know. Cut the guy a break. DirecTv, like any large company, can take care of themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.