DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Godfather
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving next month and called DTV to find out about coordinating installation at the new house. I figured given that I am an HD DVR customer (the TiVo one so far) that they allegedly promised to upgrade when they sold it to me a year ago they would logically use the move as a chance to at least install the 5LNB dish, if not encourage me to switch the H20… No such luck. They seem incredibly poorly coordinated and it doesn’t just heard me, it costs them.

Their suggestion:

1. Schedule a Mover’s Advantage. Sign a 1 year commitment. They will schedule one appointment to come out and install the standard 3LNB dish and wiring.

2. Simultaneously pay $299 to “upgrade” to the H20 from the HD TiVo and a second crew will come out a week or so later to replace the first dish with the new one. Sign a second 2-year commitment on top of the 1-year one I just signed.

BTW, they say any previous commitment to “upgrade” me from the TiVo HD box must have been a “mistake” and they offered zero benefits for being a 10 year customer on the cusp of moving (i.e. when it is easiest to jump ship anyway – especially with cable basically offering me HD free since the package deal for both high speed Internet and cable is about the same I will pay for just high speed).

Their “efficiency” did work to my advantage in one way. I am 100 percent sure I signed up for a 2-year commitment when I got the cheap TiVo HD box and antenna upgrade a year ago, and the free programming and rebate, etc. But now they claim my records show that because I “own” my TiVo box, I am under no commitment. So much for that…

In any event, given how notorious DTV is for CSR’s contradicting each other, does any of this sound contrary to what others have experienced recently? I have had DirecTV for 11 years and TiVo for over 6. I have been loyal, though temped before. But serious, a 3 year commitment, full retail price (i.e. what anyone pays at Best Buy), 2 separate install appointments back-to-back and $75/month versus free HD TV with, granted, a lousy DVR doesn’t seem balanced.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.