DBSTalk Forum banner

moving from home. dish to directv

991 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  nneptune 
#1 ·
Hi.
Well, unfortunately for me, my wife and I are separating.

We've had Dish Network since 1996, with a brief year of Directv. This was a couple of years ago, when everybody seemed to be having trouble wit the then-new receivers.

The apt. complex I'm moving to offers Direct, so that's where I'm heading back.
I really love DISH, and all the features of the 622, but I'm wondering about what to expect with a standard DVR receiver (I'm leaving the HDTV here...grrrr.).

Does the receiver now have a 'skip', like DISH where I just push the arrow and it immediately goes 30 seconds forward-no waiting, instead of the 'slip', which just fast forwarded quickly? It's a pet peeve I've had with the receiver when I got it.

Do many of you feel that a lot of the kinks have been worked out of the receivers in the past 2 years? I would hope so. I had MANY troubles when I had Direct before, so I'm just a bit concerned.
Thanks!

#2 ·
First, good luck on your marriage - whatever direction you need it to go.

30 second skip is available on the HD DVRs, but not the SD. So if you get an HR21 or HR21 you will have it. If you get an R15 or R16 you won't.

Most of the kinks have been worked out. Read these forums and you will see that most here believe their units to be reliable and easy to use. There will always be exceptions, some have defective units, some have installation problems, some cannot be satisfied regardless.

Carl

#4 ·
carl6 said:
First, good luck on your marriage - whatever direction you need it to go.

30 second skip is available on the HD DVRs, but not the SD. So if you get an HR21 or HR21 you will have it. If you get an R15 or R16 you won't.

Most of the kinks have been worked out. Read these forums and you will see that most here believe their units to be reliable and easy to use. There will always be exceptions, some have defective units, some have installation problems, some cannot be satisfied regardless.

Carl
The one exception to that is the R22 receiver. It is an SD receiver, but the software is based off of the HR21 so you have all of the features of the HR21 less HD. DirecTV though is limiting distribution of it though depending on where you receive your locals from.

- Merg

#7 ·
nneptune said:
That figures.
I know it's hard to believe, but the CSR lied to me about this issue.
I understand that to you it seems like a lie, but that would imply that the CSR knew the difference between the two and chose to tell you what was not true. I'm guessing it's an awful lot closer to the CSR had no clue that they were even two different things or what the receivers were capable of.

The end result was the same - you got bad information. I just see the word "lie" thrown around here an awful lot - sometimes in the same post where a person is saying the CSR has no clue - and I think it boils down to ignorance much more than deliberate deception.

#9 ·
JLucPicard said:
I understand that to you it seems like a lie, but that would imply that the CSR knew the difference between the two and chose to tell you what was not true. I'm guessing it's an awful lot closer to the CSR had no clue that they were even two different things or what the receivers were capable of.

The end result was the same - you got bad information. I just see the word "lie" thrown around here an awful lot - sometimes in the same post where a person is saying the CSR has no clue - and I think it boils down to ignorance much more than deliberate deception.
I shouldn't have said "lied". Obviously she had no clue. A shame, though.

#10 ·
OK, I tried to PM the OP, but got this message

nneptune has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
but I thought this was important enough to post here, anyway:

Hey, just wanted to drop a line and tell you , you aren't alone. You won't find a more supportive group of people than those here. My wife and I seperated for a while earlier this year, and this place gave me some great support. check these threads out:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=111022

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=125816

It can be a real scary and awful thing, but I can also tell you, it helped us, and we're back together. I did a lot of looking on the net, and didn't find many success stories, so I thought I might let you know, there are some out there.

We have a daughter together, and in what we hoped was her best interest, my wife helped me set the apartment up, with her, so she would feel more comfortable there. We did everything as amicably as possible (it wasn't perfect, but at least in front of our daughter, we did our best, for her sake)., but, when it was my turn to take her, she creamed all the way to my apartment. She didn't want to go to my house, she wanted to go to her house. I've never felt so awful in my whole life. But I made it thru, and so can you.

If you ever need anything, please, feel free to drop me a line. I will be willing to help in any way possible that I can.

#11 ·
ProfLonghair said:
OK, I tried to PM the OP, but got this message

but I thought this was important enough to post here, anyway:

Hey, just wanted to drop a line and tell you , you aren't alone. You won't find a more supportive group of people than those here. My wife and I seperated for a while earlier this year, and this place gave me some great support. check these threads out:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=111022

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=125816

It can be a real scary and awful thing, but I can also tell you, it helped us, and we're back together. I did a lot of looking on the net, and didn't find many success stories, so I thought I might let you know, there are some out there.

We have a daughter together, and in what we hoped was her best interest, my wife helped me set the apartment up, with her, so she would feel more comfortable there. We did everything as amicably as possible (it wasn't perfect, but at least in front of our daughter, we did our best, for her sake)., but, when it was my turn to take her, she creamed all the way to my apartment. She didn't want to go to my house, she wanted to go to her house. I've never felt so awful in my whole life. But I made it thru, and so can you.

If you ever need anything, please, feel free to drop me a line. I will be willing to help in any way possible that I can.
Thanks. I didn't realize I had all the controls on. Sorry about that. I appreciate the support. My son is 13. He'll be okay. we're close. What gets me is leaving my 3 year old daughter. My wife, though, has been awful to me for years, so it'll be okay.

Now, on Monday I call and make sure I get an R22!

#14 ·
They also offer cable at the apt. complex. I did a price comparison, and it's a joke!
With the new promotion D* is offering, I'll save half of what I would have paid for crappy cable.
I love DISH, and I'll miss it, but I'll NEVER go back to cable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.