DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my wife and I just signed our contract on a new home and will be moving in mid Jan. We just signed up with DTV in July so we have a bunch of our 2 year contract left...and I really want to stay with DTV but the area we are moving into is called Park Forest. The home does currently have DTV but they have only a single LNB dish (that I have seen) so I am not sure what programing they actually get. I am currently getting Total Choice Plus with HD and locals and I have a large dish and a second smaller dish for the locals. At the new house I am not sure I have a clear view to the south west.

Is there someone I can call to come out and discuss installation and house wiring? This would be great if this could be someone OTHER than the installers that Ironwood sent out to do my original install because they sucked and cost me a bunch of headaches and some money (DTV refunded me the money though). I would be happy to pay someone that knows what the heck they are doing to get real answers.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
Call DirecTV and ask about their "Mover's Package". They will line up an installer to perform a site survey at your new house and arrange for dish installation and reconnection of your existing equipment.
Yea but I have seen their local installers...they are Ironwood subs and they suck.

I have emailed a company in a near by town that does both Dish and DTV and says they do installs as well as custom cable, Sat, phone and CAT5 installs. I guess I am going to have they come out and have a look...give me an estimate...etc.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Grasschopper said:
Yea but I have seen their local installers...they are Ironwood subs and they suck.

I have emailed a company in a near by town that does both Dish and DTV and says they do installs as well as custom cable, Sat, phone and CAT5 installs. I guess I am going to have they come out and have a look...give me an estimate...etc.
Simply a smart man thinking!

So i see you experienced the HSP kids that are hired as "no experience necessary" for wages not fit for Micky D's.

Its a Nation wide mess and a joke . Read the adds, "professional installation"
And some say even a 199$ value.
Yeah , Professional My ass!

FREE dictates quality and there is No value in this 199$ value at all when the actual performers of the work are paid like 3rd world slave labor.

Do you want a 6$ quota inflicted scared "newly trained" guy doing a "Professional installation?"

Ha.. you get what you pay for.. So if its FREE.. then where is the value and the pride for the work?

Ive got the pictures and job #'s to show what a "FREE professional install" looks like.. LMAO.. Oh yeah its free alright .. These pictures and #'s stretch from where i sit for miles.

Hey after all this is what comes from the radio and the "installer meetings at the HSP's". = "Just get it working and get to the next one", "it Only has to make it 90 days". Btw the 90 day thing is a construed racket to Rape more profits. You dont buy "protection plan" and commit yourself to it under contract, well when the 90 days is over who gets that 70$ min service call money?... hmmmm

Poster you did right, stay the heck away from that racket based Free mess.. you'll save money in the long run prob and have a install thats meets code and expectations.

Professional? ha. How is that when training is 3 weeks and then turned loose with a drill and No clue of nothing about a system. Then certain HSP's put these kids under quotas per job and if Not met the pay is reduced to 6$ an hr.
So thus, this debauchery of a hurry up offense and the lack of quality. They run scared all day long just to get a pay check as employee that has Illegal pay reductions for failure to comply with the racket and feed the pockets of GRREEED!.

I watched the birth Of D*, they still pay very close to the same as they always did from day one, so why is it that the tech money now is Nothing , the quality is a freekin joke, the service call rates are astronomical, and yet it still is described as "professional installation".. what a damn Joke!

Call one of these Hsp's and ask for a job see what they tell you, tell them you work at a restraunt or reail store, it doesnt matter. You have 2 legs.. your hired. I pull them over all week long and the common answer to how long you have been doing this is less than 4 months. I see more ex restraunt workers than anything as a fact. So when they cant figure out what to do at your home or
they start those lies of "why it cant be installed" just remember that the puppies are scared and really have no clue to start with. hey but if your hungry when they come i bet you can get a hell of a hamburger!:lol:

·
Legend
125 Posts
I did mine myself basically because of the post above.

I had the most recent (and third dish I put up for myself (well 4th moved the same one to another house once)) 5lnb peaked by the Free install guys when I went to HD.

I was talking to the guy I was his second job that day and he had 6 more to go.

I was like SIX?? That is 8 jobs in a day, there is NO WAY to do 8 installs in a day unless you are just setting up boxes and thats it.

I mean when he got to my house he thought he was going to have to put up a 5lnb possibly run cables and then install the HR20. If I hadnt done all the work ahead he easily had 2 hours of work in front of him.

Its crazy, I would think at max 4 installs a day.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
No single installer does 8 installs. There is a difference between 8 installs and 8 jobs. A service call can take 10 mins or less if the customers moved the box and connected it wrong.

I know that a lot of techs do bad jobs but I have also seen brilliant ones. Also remember that people always complain but rarely praise.

In this case a mover's connect will be done for you. You take your boxes we bring the rest. It doesn't matter what dish is currently on the roof.

·
Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well new info on this topic.

We had our home inspection yesterday and I took a better look at the sky line and the wiring. With the removal of one tree there shoul dbe no signal issue. The wiring really pisses me off but in the end will probably save me money. This home is clearly another case of a DTV sub cutting corners and doing as little as possible to install the system. The home is old enough that the original cables for sure wouldn't have cut it for Sat or IMO digital cable so the installer had to get new lines to every set. In the front bedroom they ran a line along the roof and then just screwed it to the siding and drilled a hole straight in to the outles from the outside. I also found this in the family room...they ran the cable along the outside of the house under the roof line and then down a door jam and then just drilled right in. The outlet in the family room was loose and you could pull the cable right out to the outside...ie they didn't bother to seal the hole (I didn't check it upstairs but I assume they didn't seal that either).

So there is good quality cable there...I will probably have to run a couple new lines for the DVR(s) but it can't be any worse then it currently is.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
That's typical for a standard installation. If you want wires fished through walls from an attic, basement or crawl space there is an extra (hourly rate) charge. I did that part myself and the installer only had to connect to my existing cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.