DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm newish to the forums, been reading for a while...but I have a question about my new install.

Been with D* for about 4 years now, love them.....however its time to upgrade to HD.

I have 2 SD TV's one 36" and one 19" I am planning on buying a 52" Samsung 650 when I move however I don't think it will arrive in time for the installer's appointment at my new house.

I requested a HD-DVR for the new install when we move....will it be a problem for the installer to install my HD-DVR and dish without my HDTV....will he be able to use my older SD tv to tune the dish in, and all I will have to do is hook up my new TV when it arrives?

The Cus Service rep told me some installers might have a problem with this because HD signal is very weird about the signal and needs to be tunes from an HD set.

Please help me ease my mind about this install.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
I thought to have an HD-DVR you just need to carry HD Access and DVR Service on your package...it doesn't say anything about having it hooked up to an HDTV, right? I didn't think that was a requirement. Of course it doesn't make sense to have an HD-DVR unless you have an HDTV....

J

·
AllStar
73 Posts
The IRD has a video out so yes it will work. He can install the dish etc.. and basically get it working.

Be warned that most HSP's will tell not to do it though.

Theres too big of a risk that you the customer will have a problem getting it hooked up to the new tv and functioning correctly. If there is a problem the HSP will have to roll out again for free. The techs generally dont like the return trip ( free again ) and the repeat service call that reflects poorly on him no matter the outcome ( even if its the customers fault)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
While the dvr definitely has the outputs to hook up to an SD tv assuming it has at least composite in on the TV and I don't believe DirecTV actually requires an HD set Nyceguy hit it on the nose. The install tech and company are basically responsible for the install for the first 90 days and may be vary leery of doing the install with out the HD tv. They really have no way of knowing if your going to know how to hook it up correctly or if you will screw it up and call DirecTV to complain about your service not working. If you call D* the tech ends up having to make a second service call for free or gets charged back for the original install.

My best suggestion is be nice and polite about it. Ask them if they would like to leave their phone number in case anything goes wrong with the connections when the HD TV arrives. Ultimately if they don't want to do it they will come up with some excuse and leave, most likely with out doing anything since it will all be 1 work order.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
There is no reason that you must have an HDTV to setup an HD receiver. Here in Hawaii we do it all the time. We do not even carry SD receivers because our locals are only available on the 99 so we must have a 5lnb capable receiver to get them and currently the only SD ird that can do that is the r-22. However, if your SDTV only has a coaxial rf input that will present a slight problem as the receiver only has composite and higher outputs. This can be worked around by running the receiver through a vcr or an rf modulator which you will be expected to provide yourself.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
codemstr said:
I do have a tv that supports the outputs of the reciever...however I was wondering if it will still output an SD signal to a tv.
Yes it will. However, I instruct my techs that they are not to install without an HDTV unless they have my approval to do so. When I worked for DirecTV, it wasn't even an option, but an automatic reschedule, due to DirecTV's harsh chargeback policies when customers call back for service. I can't speak for your area; they may be able to be more flexible there.

Believe me; techs hate to lose jobs, as they still have to drive out to you and waste time. But given how likely a tech is going to have to roll back for free or be charged back in the event that there's ANYTHING wrong once the HDTV is in place, it's cheaper to walk away. And lots of things, major and minor, can generate service calls. The tech is supposed to configure and verify everything before he leaves, and you can't do that without an HDTV in place.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIP said:
Yes it will. However, I instruct my techs that they are not to install without an HDTV unless they have my approval to do so. When I worked for DirecTV, it wasn't even an option, but an automatic reschedule, due to DirecTV's harsh chargeback policies when customers call back for service. I can't speak for your area; they may be able to be more flexible there.

Believe me; techs hate to lose jobs, as they still have to drive out to you and waste time. But given how likely a tech is going to have to roll back for free or be charged back in the event that there's ANYTHING wrong once the HDTV is in place, it's cheaper to walk away. And lots of things, major and minor, can generate service calls. The tech is supposed to configure and verify everything before he leaves, and you can't do that without an HDTV in place.
what if I were to say that I am only using a SD tv for that connection, and do not plan to upgrade but prefer the bigger hard drive and superior picture quality on my sd tv?

Im not an idiot and Im sure you could train a monkey to hook up an hdtv to a box after the install is done...but they dont need to know this :)

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
codemstr said:
what if I were to say that I am only using a SD tv for that connection, and do not plan to upgrade but prefer the bigger hard drive and superior picture quality on my sd tv?

Im not an idiot and Im sure you could train a monkey to hook up an hdtv to a box after the install is done...but they dont need to know this :)
You'll be fine, don't worry about it - people have done it before without a problem.

·
Godfather
347 Posts
i have done it before, i just setup everything like it was an hdtv, (widescreen and the resolutions) used rca cables and hooked up the hdmi to hddvr. told customer exactly what to do with the cables when the tv arrived.

now if the customer has no tvs at all, then that is a different story.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,780 Posts
Justin23 said:
My TV that I was going to hook the HD-DVR up to just has coax output on the back of the TV, no RCA. Would this be a problem or does it just depend on the installer?

J
Need an RF converter (modulator)
$10. at Wal-Mart
Takes composite from IRD and outputs RF usually Ch 3 or 4 selectable.
Has a power cord to connect also.

Doctor j

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
Justin23 said:
My TV that I was going to hook the HD-DVR up to just has coax output on the back of the TV, no RCA. Would this be a problem or does it just depend on the installer?

J
HD receivers do NOT have a coax out, so you MUST obtain a modulator that accepts RCA inputs and has a coax output. Your installer will not have one available, so you'll need to get one before the install. Walmart and Radio Shack will have them, usually for hooking DVD players to TVs without RCA inputs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.