DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been with DirecTV since early 1996, coming up on 20 years. We are moving in a couple months and will most likely keep DirecTV in our new house. What kind of deal should I try to get? I am not currently under contract. I have a first generation Genie HR34 which is very slow and sluggish. I have 4 other dual tuner HD DVR's, 3 of which are very oldand slow, I also have a mini. I am also on the protection plan.

Should I just have my wife sign up at the new house and start over? What kind of deal should I be able to get to get newer equipment. We are building a new house and I have already wired everything for the dish and receivers should will be an incredibly easy install, will that make a difference?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Tell 'em you're getting a 4K TV in your new digs so that they will swap out your HR34 for an HR54. As for your two-tuners DVRs, the best you swap 'em for are HR24s. Yep, they're old but are generally faster than pre-HR24 models.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drucifer said:
Tell 'em you're getting a 4K TV in your new digs so that they will swap out your HR34 for an HR54. As for your two-tuners DVRs, the best you swap 'em for are HR24s. Yep, they're old but are generally faster than pre-HR24 models.
Thanks, I do have a new 4K TV still in the box for the move. I did not realize that my current Genie was not compatible. Thanks, So if you have a 4K TV they will definitely upgrade?

·
Premium Member
11,281 Posts
They won't upgrade that HR34 to HR54 today just because you say you have a 4K TV, because they don't offer 4K service that requires it. What they do offer is only a few VOD movies that will work with any Genie including the HR34. The best you'd get would be maybe swapping out one of your boxes for a C61K client, but even that isn't certain.

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
baeverly said:
Thanks, I do have a new 4K TV still in the box for the move. I did not realize that my current Genie was not compatible. Thanks, So if you have a 4K TV they will definitely upgrade?
In January, DirecTV is supposed to start broadcasting live 4K on a couple of channels. You'll need the HR54 & the newest mini model, I think C61, to get those channels on your screen in 4K.

·
Premium Member
11,281 Posts
Drucifer said:
In January, DirecTV is supposed to start broadcasting live 4K on a couple of channels. You'll need the HR54 & the newest mini model, I think C61, to get those channels on your screen in 4K.
That's all based on rumors - maybe they will start 4K broadcasts in January, and maybe it will require the HR54. I've seen other rumors that the Masters in April will be the first 4K broadcast. With only a few 4K channels they may not use bonded transponders right away, so the HR54 might not be required until later. And who knows whether Directv will offer free upgrades to the HR54 the day they start 4K broadcasts. That will come, but may not on day one.

At any rate, if he calls them today and asks about moving, he isn't going to get a deal like that. He'd have to at least wait until they offer 4K service, and that service requires the HR54.

Not saying anything you said is necessarily wrong, just that you can't state it as a certainty. If he wants certainty he will get a nice upgrade then planning on using 4K as the excuse may or may not work.

·
CowboySooner
1,688 Posts
Drucifer said:
If everyone currently receiving 4k will need to be upgraded to a HR54 in January look out.
:sure:

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Having your wife sign up as a new sub means loosing all of your dual tuners DVRs as DirecTV current promo is one Genie and up to 3 minis at no cost for qualifying customers.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I would hope that 20 years of loyalty in my current house results in a good deal to keep them when I move. If not I may move on, hard to pass up bundled deals that FIOS and XFINITY offer. I do agree, I hate to give up all fhe dual tuner DVR's and start over. A couple of those are HR20's and are slow. Would they upgrade those now under my protection plan, any experience with that?

Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
If you use Movers - It's just pack up your Receivers and Move -then reconected at your New location.

A Genie is a Genie Meaning not upgraded -So you keep what you have

Of course depending on your installer and AMount of any Tip you may part with might get you a Genie of the truck month and new dual DVR's

That mey be the best way to go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.