DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my entire mp3 library on a DLink DNS-323 NAS device. Since it has a built-in UPnP AV server, I thought it would work best for me with my HR21-100, to play the music from the NAS so that I do not have to keep any computer/program running.

As it turns out, my HR21 cannot see the mp3's at all. Has anyone else seen this happening?

When I browse from the Media Share menu, I can go from Computers/Dlink/Music/All Music/<Name of Album> and even see albumart.jpg. But no mp3 in the same folder.

What gives?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
The built in media server is a piece.

There are some people out there who have compiled Mediatomb to work on the DNS323, but not the .012 version that is needed to run with the HR2x receivers. I'm sure once that version is released to the general public, somebody will do all the cross compiling mumbo jumbo (which is WAAAAY beyond my understanding) and we'll have that option.

I'm currently using Twonky on my DNS323 and it's been pretty happy. I haven't tried my MP3 library yet, but I put all my photos on there. It's all my high res photos from my dSLR, and Twonky does whatever magic it needs to do for my HR20s to see the photos correctly.

Just out of curiosity - and a little bit off topic - how is your DNS323 configured? Are you doing raid? I heard reports of the box losing the raid configuration and it's a bit of a pain to get your files back. I found a script that copies the contents of drive 1 over to drive 2 each evening, so I have a backup of all those files should one of the drives die...
 

· Legend
Joined
·
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sharkie_Fan said:
The built in media server is a piece.

There are some people out there who have compiled Mediatomb to work on the DNS323, but not the .012 version that is needed to run with the HR2x receivers. I'm sure once that version is released to the general public, somebody will do all the cross compiling mumbo jumbo (which is WAAAAY beyond my understanding) and we'll have that option.

I'm currently using Twonky on my DNS323 and it's been pretty happy. I haven't tried my MP3 library yet, but I put all my photos on there. It's all my high res photos from my dSLR, and Twonky does whatever magic it needs to do for my HR20s to see the photos correctly.

Just out of curiosity - and a little bit off topic - how is your DNS323 configured? Are you doing raid? I heard reports of the box losing the raid configuration and it's a bit of a pain to get your files back. I found a script that copies the contents of drive 1 over to drive 2 each evening, so I have a backup of all those files should one of the drives die...
I am not quite sure, now that I have put all my media collection on the drives, that I would like to tweak the firmware and upgrade and such. I believe in order to install anything on the NAS, I would need to put custom firmware which usually has a huge disclaimer that all the data may be lost.

The DNS323 has an iTunes server which seems to serve the mp3's just fine on another computer running iTunes, so I am not sure if it is a NAS issue or HR issue.

I have it configured in mirror mode (not sure which RAID config it is) but I have 2 1TB drives and presumably the data I write to the device gets mirrored to the other drive. If you say that RAID config gets lost and I lose all my files, I am truly hosed :-(

If you don't mind, can you please PM me the script you have running to copy from 1 drive to the other? I may choose that option to be sure.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
908 Posts
lifeislife said:
I just put my entire mp3 library on a DLink DNS-323 NAS device. Since it has a built-in UPnP AV server, I thought it would work best for me with my HR21-100, to play the music from the NAS so that I do not have to keep any computer/program running.

As it turns out, my HR21 cannot see the mp3's at all. Has anyone else seen this happening?

When I browse from the Media Share menu, I can go from Computers/Dlink/Music/All Music/<Name of Album> and even see albumart.jpg. But no mp3 in the same folder.

What gives?
The answer is simple. The HR2x does not play MP3s. It will only play WAV format (mimetype audio/wav) or LPCM (mimetype audio/L16). The media server must transcode (convert) to one of these two formats or the HR2x will show the dreaded X or won't show anything at all.

Twonky has the capability to transcode MP3s, but it requires the lame add-on, which Twonky has pulled from their website. MediaTomb 0.12.0 (not released yet) will transcode about anything you throw at it, as long as the NAS has the CPU horsepower. The MediaTomb developer has stated that 0.12.0 will released soon, but will not give a firm date.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
lifeislife said:
I am not quite sure, now that I have put all my media collection on the drives, that I would like to tweak the firmware and upgrade and such. I believe in order to install anything on the NAS, I would need to put custom firmware which usually has a huge disclaimer that all the data may be lost.

The DNS323 has an iTunes server which seems to serve the mp3's just fine on another computer running iTunes, so I am not sure if it is a NAS issue or HR issue.

I have it configured in mirror mode (not sure which RAID config it is) but I have 2 1TB drives and presumably the data I write to the device gets mirrored to the other drive. If you say that RAID config gets lost and I lose all my files, I am truly hosed :-(

If you don't mind, can you please PM me the script you have running to copy from 1 drive to the other? I may choose that option to be sure.
Unlike the Netgear 2 drive NAS, which uses some proprietary lanugage to write to the drives, the DNS-323 is just running Linux. So, if the raid configuration is lost, you don't lose the data, but it's a little bit of work to get it back, because the OS thinks it's raid, but doesn't know where the "link" is. It just gets confused, and you have to jump through hoops a little bit to get it fixed. It's happened to people and they were able to recover their data, but it's a PITA.... which is why someone wrote the script to copy from drive a to drive b each night.... it gives data redundancy, just not realtime.

As to installing twonky.... I don't think that the stuff I installed modified the firmware at all. I believe it's just installing software (telnet, for example)....

http://wiki.dns323.info/

and
http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:backup

The first link is just the general page which has quite a bit of info, the second is a link to a couple of ways to do backup from drive a to drive b. I'm using the first, which just copies everything over once a night.

The forums there are pretty helpful, and there are a few people who have compiled various versions of mediatomb.

I really want to get mediatomb running, as it sounds to be the most stable mediaserver with the HR2x's... unforunately, all the compiling and cross comipiling and whatever else has to happen is a little bit beyond my capabilities, so I'm at the mercy of the guys on that forum. I haven't seen anyone do the beta code, but the last several versions have been compiled for the DNS323 pretty quickly after their release, so I anticipate the same will happen when the newest mediatomb goes legit.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top