DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is basically a real quick question. I know that the reason that the DTV DVR is not Tivo is NOT because of the MPEG-4 HD Locals, and I'm not even really sure I believe that DTV invented the HD-Locals on mpeg4 so that the Tivo unit becomes useless. I think it all started with some bad blood between the two, but enough on my stupid assumptions.

My question is simple (let me lead into it with some simple reception statements), I live in a house on the top of a hill, We have a "real" 15 foot amplified panel HD OTA antena on a rotor (which recieves ALL that I mention without actually adjusting it except for rare weird weather days). I actually get San Diego, Orange County, Riverside, and partial Corona (Los Angeles) Over the AIR HD Channels on my HD TV Tunner, and on my DTivo hr-10-250. Most of the time the affiliates are showing the same stuff, but on the days that it really matters most to me (baseball, football, and basketball game night and days) I actually get diffrent home team broadcasts. I know that I am extremely lucky.

Anyways, I purchased our 4th DirecTV HD DVR last week, #4 is the first hr-20-700 that I have recieved, the rest are hr-10-250's. Although we might learn to use the hr-20, its disadvantages far outweigh its advantages to me, especially with my aftermarket hacks I have done to all of our hr-10 units.

I was told I have to upgrade to the hr-20 units, and when I asked why, they said that because all future HD growth will be unavailable to the 3lnb dish and hr-10's that I own. I asked what the hd upgrades were and was told HD Locals.

Whoopie Doo. If you read what I said above, I get all the local HD's for 3 different markets, and even the PBS, and off market channels for all 3 of these markets. Is this true? Basically, the rep told me that the upgrade to the 5lnb dish was free (and that they would upgrade all 3 3lnb dish's I currently have, (we have a total of 9 dual tunner DVR's). The ability to get HD locals via satellite instead of via OTA is no advantage to me, right now, I cant even record OTA HD on the new hr-20 (from what I have read).

I am about to goto ebay and buy 2 or 3 hr-10-250 units, upgrade each with (2) 500gb hard drives, add the Networking hacks, and all the nice software modifications that I have on my other 2 hr-10's. The DTV HD DVR provides no advantages at all too me over my DTivo units.

Am I wrong, I know no one has a crystal ball, but in my situation with my strong over the air HD feeds, are my hr-10-250's going to loose functions from what they have NOW, or simply stay stagnant (i.e. NOT get any new HD feeds or hd locals) still working as they do today?

I suppose I would keep the hr-20-700 simply to warrant the free 5lnb dishes and for the rare situation where the hr-10-250's simply stop working (hopefully never).

Sorry about all that messed up clutter in my question, but I am simply looking for someone to tell me that if I dont need Satellite Fed (mpeg4) HD locals that I really dont need the hr-20 units.

Can someone offer some insight here into this, am I correct in my assumptions that because of my luck and my OTA HD signal strength that the HD upgrades that the mpeg4 5lnb dish feeds provide are mute points?

Thank you very much.

/-/SepticDeath-

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
Not sure what I can do or if I fully understand all the question but I'm pretty sure that if you just stick with your OTA antenna - that format is not going to change. MPEG4 is just what D*V is going to use to save room on their Sats. As long as you get all those HD locals on OTA I wouldn't even bother with the HR20 right now like you said, OTA isn't even enabled on them anyway... Get the dishes if they're going to offer them to you, why not? Long as you're going to stick around another year... The HR20 belongs to D*V so you can't mess with it, it's on lease... I think the HR20 WILL be a great machine, but definately not soon. I like me HR20 and it does have good days.:rolleyes:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
561 Posts
Right now, you probably shouldn't be using the HR20. When more HD content is available through D*, you might want to switch, depending on what future HD channels they offer. All future HD channels from D* will be MPEG4.

But, since you have such great OTA, I'd stick with the HR10-250's until you want to upgrade. D* shouldn't *make* you upgrade without reason. They did install a 5lnb dish for me, but it works just fine with my HR10-250 and my HR20.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

The story is true today but lacks insight into the future. Today the only HD that you can't get with the HR10s is HD locals, which you correctly note, you get far better via OTA than you ever will via Sat. You got so much better than D* will deliver, there is nothing to consider MPEG4 wise--today.

The future that D* has developed is for ALL new HD content and perhaps all the old HD content to be delivered via the 5lnb dish, including the sports subscriptions. (The moving of current HD to MPEG4 is not confirmed by D*.) So, if you want the HD channels that D* will be turning up this next couple years, you will want the HR20, the 5lnb dish, etc.

My suggestion? Get the best deal you can on a upgrades and get them. You will get OTA on the HR20 "any day now" so you won't be missing anything beyond the hacks and features of the Tivos.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Coffey77 said:
But look!!! With that last post, I'm finally a Cool Memeber! Sweet.
congrats, slacker. Now get back to posting :) (Just kidding, this is not a personal slam, just a joke.)

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
The "upgrade" is so that you can receive MPEG-4 Local-into-Local HD channels. Right now, there are no plans to change any of the SD channels to MPEG-4, so the HR10-250 will receive those just fine. In addition, the HR10-250 will receive MPEG-2 channels OTA. The HR20 currently will not, but that is due to change "very soon." There WILL come a time when new HD content is delivered only in MPEG-4; however, it may be a while before that happens.

I say stick with what you have - no reason to "upgrade" if you already get the content you need. There should also be no reason to NOT use the HR20 as they are needed (once the OTA becomes active). Just don't go out of the way to change.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,248 Posts
Both sat provider racing now for better utilizing transponder's bandwidth with MPEG-4 (H.264) compression; Dish continue using prooved 8PSK modulation, DTV - jumping into new standard DVB-S2 plus Ka band.
So, practically speaking in a few years all channels will be compressed in H.264 and receivers will accept DVB-S2 signal.
Safe to suggest HR20 is the first one who will survive in the future of DTV.

·
2,533 Posts
tibber said:
congrats, slacker. Now get back to posting :) (Just kidding, this is not a personal slam, just a joke.)
Yea but now I'm a Cool Slacker!!:D I'm trying my best, kinda, well not really, just trying.:imwith:

·
Mentor
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Nothing Like speedy posts with valuable data. Just one mention, my hr-20-700 is owned outright by me. I bought it no strings attached last week. Like a idiot, I didnt even read before I hit Buy it Now.

2 Big Bummers

#1. Spending two weekends wiring cat5 so that all 3 HD DVR's and 7 SD DVR's could share with each other, Only to realize that the one I put in the BIG Plasma room cant be upgraded to talk to all the others (I might note, I only planned it, I have no experience or even knowledge of what to expect, I just bought all the USB network cards and the PTV software for all the other HD and SD DTivos)

#2. It really was a bummer having to spend 2 hours with my 9 year old and my Grandmother (she never got it, the tivo interface at least has been used before she had her stroke) anyways, it really was a bummer having to reteach them how to use the DTV software and answer all those silly questions about how come It seems like it got a downgrade, or how come its all backwards and makes no sense.

Thanks guys...

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Coffey77 said:
Yea but now I'm a Cool Slacker!!:D I'm trying my best, kinda, well not really, just trying.:imwith:
You are a cool dude, and welcome to the land of cool. :welcome_s

Glad you're aboard.
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
SepticDeath said:
Thanks. Nothing Like speedy posts with valuable data. Just one mention, my hr-20-700 is owned outright by me. I bought it no strings attached last week. Like a idiot, I didnt even read before I hit Buy it Now.

2 Big Bummers

#1. Spending two weekends wiring cat5 so that all 3 HD DVR's and 7 SD DVR's could share with each other, Only to realize that the one I put in the BIG Plasma room cant be upgraded to talk to all the others (I might note, I only planned it, I have no experience or even knowledge of what to expect, I just bought all the USB network cards and the PTV software for all the other HD and SD DTivos)

#2. It really was a bummer having to spend 2 hours with my 9 year old and my Grandmother (she never got it, the tivo interface at least has been used before she had her stroke) anyways, it really was a bummer having to reteach them how to use the DTV software and answer all those silly questions about how come It seems like it got a downgrade, or how come its all backwards and makes no sense.

Thanks guys...
Happy to help,
Keep coming back to either this forum or the HR10 set.

Cheers,
Tom

·
2,533 Posts
SepticDeath said:

2 Big Bummers

Thanks guys...
It's never a waste running CAT5 although, I'd probably would have checked to see if it was CAT5e...:contract: I'm sorry you had a rough time but I don't think you've done anything "wrong"... I'm sure your 9 year old already knows more about it than all of us put together. One day they may enable the ethernet port as well.:icon_da:

·
Icon
563 Posts
DIRECTV (David Hill)announced last week that they will have more than 40 National HD channel next year and a video download service that will require an HR20. Probably in 2008 they will turn off the MPEG 2 HD over satellite to make room for more stuff.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Coffey77 your avatar is real close to copyright infringement with Earls :)

·
9,809 Posts
tibber said:
(The moving of current HD to MPEG4 is not confirmed by D*.)
Actually yes it is. It's been there plan now for about 3 years to move ALL HD to MPEG4 and on the new KA sats. It's still a year to 18 months out for this but it will happen.

Oh, OTA was just activated for the HR20 so you can get all those OTA HD via the HR20 now so why not try it out, it's the future anyway if you want to stay with D*.

·
2,533 Posts
Carbon said:
Coffey77 your avatar is real close to copyright infringement with Earls :)
It was more an "inspirtation", I'm still looking though, just like the Bears need to be looking for a new QB. Love my Bears and am a full believer of D-fense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS!!! You need a little rest time though, can't play the whole time. Even if Flex went 3 and out it'd be better, just run it and play down the play clock so the D can get some rest but no, he has to throw it up for an int... I digress... anyway. I'll fix it up one day. Go Sox??!!:dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.