DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the wonders of High Def Satellite and have a question.

As to MPEG2 versus MPEG4, what HD channels are what?

I've read that the channels in the 70s range are the older MPEG2 channels but the poster wasn't sure. Any truth to that rumor?

Also, are the newer MPEG4 encoded channels full HD resolution? I've read 'round the net that Satellite HD channels were HD-Lite/Bit Starved but the thinking was that it was because of the old MPEG2 encoding and the MPEG4 stuff wouldn't suffer from the same thing.

Again, newbie question and I'm sorry if it's posted somewhere already...I tried to find it but I'm usually horrible at searching and the wording for a good search.

· Legend
124 Posts
What you heard was correct: anything in the 70's is (for now) MPEG2. There is a little bit of difference in the picture quality between MPEG2/MPEG4, but that is also dependent on the channel. There are plenty of MPEG4 channels out there that either still show SD programming or the "HD-Lite" type things, but that's fairly dependent upon the type of equipment being used.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.