DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this may be more of a problem with my unit, I'm posting this just in case others are also experiencing issues. With all of my MPEG4 local stations I get a fair amount of pixelation and at times the channels freeze. Many times it looks as if the signal is going in and out, but I don't think that's the case since most of my signal readings are in the high 80's to low 90's. Also, I do not get this with any of the other channels. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or is there likely something wrong with my HR20?

BTW - could someone post the specific transponders I should be looking at for the NY MPEG4 locals?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
550 Posts
RMSko said:
Although this may be more of a problem with my unit, I'm posting this just in case others are also experiencing issues. With all of my MPEG4 local stations I get a fair amount of pixelation and at times the channels freeze. Many times it looks as if the signal is going in and out, but I don't think that's the case since most of my signal readings are in the high 80's to low 90's. Also, I do not get this with any of the other channels. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or is there likely something wrong with my HR20?

BTW - could someone post the specific transponders I should be looking at for the NY MPEG4 locals?
I think you might need to have your dish tweaked a bit. My signals for the HD local spot beams all are 98-99. Thus far my experience has indicated that the MPEG4 channels are much more susceptible to things like rain fade so you could be a bit low on signal strength even though it seems plenty high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
I do 99% of my recordings from MPEG4 NY locals.

Sat 99

1-8...... 89 97 96 95 85 97 N/A N/A

Sat 103
Transponders
1-8...... 0 0 100 78 95 69 N/A N/A
Rest.....NA

Virtually the same readings on both tuners.

My HR20 has been fairly reliable (installed on 9/16). I never missed a recording, I've only had 2 unwatchable recordings. I've experienced the trick play bugs everyone has due to the update prior to the last update. Also experienced a couple of lock-ups.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vinny said:
I do 99% of my recordings from MPEG4 NY locals.

Sat 99

1-8...... 89 97 96 95 85 97 N/A N/A

Sat 103
Transponders
1-8...... 0 0 100 78 95 69 N/A N/A
Rest.....NA

Virtually the same readings on both tuners.

My HR20 has been fairly reliable (installed on 9/16). I never missed a recording, I've only had 2 unwatchable recordings. I've experienced the trick play bugs everyone has due to the update prior to the last update. Also experienced a couple of lock-ups.
My Numbers for Sat 99 are a bit different than yours, they are 95 82 85 92 94 83 N/A N/A.

I guess I could have D* come and tweak them but I'd still really be surprised if it was the signal. Even if the MPEG4 sat is a bit more sensitive to rain than the others, it would take a significant drop for even my worst signal (82) to lose a signal. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
All my MPEG4 locals have been fine today, no breakups or other problems. Have you tried removing the b-band converters to see if that makes an improvement?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PoitNarf said:
All my MPEG4 locals have been fine today, no breakups or other problems. Have you tried removing the b-band converters to see if that makes an improvement?
Actually today my MPEG4 locals have also been fine, no breakups at all. But then again, it is a beautiful day out there. What are the b-band converters and how are they removed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
RMSko said:
Actually today my MPEG4 locals have also been fine, no breakups at all. But then again, it is a beautiful day out there. What are the b-band converters and how are they removed?
They're the converter boxes connected to the each of the sat inputs on the back of the HR20. If your locals have been fine so far today, leave them on. If you start seeing problems again try taking them off to see if it fixes the problem. There seems to be a fairly high failure rate for these converters, so taking them off is a good initial step in trying to pinpoint your problems.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
563 Posts
PoitNarf said:
They're the converter boxes connected to the each of the sat inputs on the back of the HR20. If your locals have been fine so far today, leave them on. If you start seeing problems again try taking them off to see if it fixes the problem. There seems to be a fairly high failure rate for these converters, so taking them off is a good initial step in trying to pinpoint your problems.
There is a thread atthe top similar to the washington d.c. thread about green breakup. I have seen about once an hour on WABC 7 NY when programs are in HD a 5-15 seconds freeze and breakup of the picture with green pixelation. It would be useful to know on which sepcific channels and programs and even times there are problems. I saw a breakup in the last 10 minutes of gray's anatomy twice.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top