DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Godfather
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problems returned today on Chicago MPEG4 HD - poops out here and there and the sat loses the signal. Basically ends up searching for signal on all MPEG 4 HD....Every other HD channel is fine as are all SD channels...

Driving me f'n insane.

I thought I had it fixed last night when I took off the b band converters but guess not.

Any ideas? This just started occring with the lastes firmware update...

No one else is having this issue?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Cookpr..

Following your other posts.
I really think you have a dish out of allignment.

We hae the same MPEG4 feeds, and I haven't had any issues with my MPEG-4 in weeks (since I rid did some possible bad connections).

Which show where you watching tonight?

I watched 5 hours of MPEG-4 recordings yesterday (recorded during the week), not on bit of problems.

We have had the MPEG-4 channels on tonight, but haven't sat to watch the recordings yet.

· AllStar
56 Posts
I seem to be having the same problems with the local HD stations. They all worked fine for 3 days after the dish and HR20 were installed, then I had nothing on the 4th night. So I called to have a tech come out the Monday, but the problems did not exist the following day. So I called to cancel the tech coming out, and yesterday the local HD problems showed up again. Because they seem to work on and off, I dont believe it is a dish alignment problem. I am starting to think its a bad LNB or bad HR20.

· Godfather
313 Posts
I've been watching the Chicago HD locals since mid-March and have not had the problems you are talking about. Couple of short signal losses from weather but no losses out of the blue. I agree with Earl that you have some sort of dish or receiver problem.

· Legend
239 Posts
cookpr said:
My problems returned today on Chicago MPEG4 HD - poops out here and there and the sat loses the signal. Basically ends up searching for signal on all MPEG 4 HD....Every other HD channel is fine as are all SD channels...

Driving me f'n insane.

I thought I had it fixed last night when I took off the b band converters but guess not.

Any ideas? This just started occring with the lastes firmware update...

No one else is having this issue?
Check your signal strengths on sats 99 and 103 and report back here. Remember these are spot beams, so many of the readings will be low. But you should have at least 1 transponder on 1 sat that is > 90. If you don't then you have a dish alignment problem. The pointing accuracy needed for the HDLocal sats is tighter than the others.

· Godfather
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, at least I know someone is the same boat as me, as your problem sounds exactly the same as mine....the four MPEG 4 HD locals work 80% of the time, but occassionally pixelate and then drop....again, I am hoping this is resolved with the next update as it only appeared after the previous one...before that, was fine...

I too, do not want to call a tech, as I am postive when he comes out, it will be working fine.

Last night when it occured I did a red button reset and HAVE NOT TURNED IT OFF as I normally have everynight....seems like when I start it up after being in standby is when I have the problems....this morning, all MPEG 4 HD were working fine.....I will keep updating, but hopefully this takes care of it until the next update, as I just can not imagine its an allignment problem, as it works most of the time, and when it went out last night (when I turned the unti on) there was all of a 2 mph wind....

I have no problem leaving the unit on versus sending it to standby if it solves the problem...

· Godfather
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
f300v10 said:
Check your signal strengths on sats 99 and 103 and report back here. Remember these are spot beams, so many of the readings will be low. But you should have at least 1 transponder on 1 sat that is > 90. If you don't then you have a dish alignment problem. The pointing accuracy needed for the HDLocal sats is tighter than the others.
I will check tonight and post back. I am almost hoping that is the issue, but I have serious doubts that it is...

· AllStar
88 Posts
f300v10 said:
Interesting......when I check signal strength on the other satellites, are those spot beams as well?.....i.e. would it be normal to see low numbers on 101 or should those all be high?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
1Indy79 said:
Interesting......when I check signal strength on the other satellites, are those spot beams as well?.....i.e. would it be normal to see low numbers on 101 or should those all be high?
101 has segments that are spot beamed.

· AllStar
56 Posts
I wanted to bump this and see if anyone has comments on my signal strengths.
local HD channels were pixeled between 3:55pm and 4:10pm yesterday. (Which made my wife miss the end of Jeopardy). And she reported to me they were not working again this morning.
I am confused as to where the problem lies. I have changed nothing, but they work sometimes, and then dont work sometimes.

I have recently ordered my second HR20, so I will have a good comparison in the same house between the two units when I have problems. Should be in next week.

· Icon
1,574 Posts
jspiewak said:
I wanted to bump this and see if anyone has comments on my signal strengths.
local HD channels were pixeled between 3:55pm and 4:10pm yesterday. (Which made my wife miss the end of Jeopardy). And she reported to me they were not working again this morning.
I am confused as to where the problem lies. I have changed nothing, but they work sometimes, and then dont work sometimes.

I have recently ordered my second HR20, so I will have a good comparison in the same house between the two units when I have problems. Should be in next week.
I get the Phildelphia, PA local MPEG4 HD chennels and have seen intermittent issues over the last week or so with those locals. Extreme pixelation that causes the channels to be un-watchable. At this point it is very hard to determine if it is an issue with the HR20-700 (suspect not) or with the local HD feeds, or with DTV's broadcast. It is not an allignment problem as most of the times the channels are rock solid. I get my HD locals on the 103 sat and signal strengths are as follows - TP's 1-6 (all others NA) 13, 0, 80, 93, 66, 89

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
jspiewak said:
my signal strengths

103(a)
1-8 97 0 100 0 98 0 N/A N/A
All others N/A

99(b)
1-8 51 96 73 92 43 90 N/A N/A
All others N/A

and local HD stations have been working fine all evening today
Sorry.... Lose track sometimes.

Your Signal Strength are better then mine... :)

They are very good readings

· Icon
542 Posts
well, they came and installed the 2nd dvr yesterday, but I have had similiar problems, all my channels hd or sd, come in, but my locals search for a sigal for 2-3 minutes, then come in. Swapped the cables, hooked up my h20 and had no problems. So dtv is sending me a new unit, just got off of the phone with them. Strange how everyone is saying there installers are out of the units, but I have had my installer come back within a week to install this unit, then called dtv and they are sending me another one and I should receive it within 2-3 days, maybe just lucky, hopefully the 3rd one is the charm:)

· AllStar
76 Posts
I have not had any issues with the new software until tonight. All local HD Mpeg-4 recordings, in the Miami DMA, failed today. When I checked history it says partial record, or did not record. The partial record does not show up in the list. Since I still have my Comcast HD DVR's as backup I am not angry, but I am annoyed.

Just when I was about to cancel Comcast, the HR20 acts up. I guess I will wait to see if it gets more stable before I cancel. This is the first time in many weeks that I have had an issue like this.

(connected via component to a Sony 60 inch SXRD)

· AllStar
56 Posts
jspiewak said:
my signal strengths

103(a)
1-8 97 0 100 0 98 0 N/A N/A
All others N/A

99(b)
1-8 51 96 73 92 43 90 N/A N/A
All others N/A

and local HD stations have been working fine all evening today
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead again, but I was having my local HD 'problem' again last night. When it occurred I quickly checked out the signal strengths. All the satellites seemed to be the same except the 103(a). During the 'problem' I was receiving signal strength on the even numbered transponders from the 103(a) satellite, but very weak numbers were in the 20s. And I had some zeros on the odd numbered transponders. As you can see from my previous post I have always had zeros in the even transponders, and very good signal strength in the odd transponders when local HD is working properly.
If anyone has any clue whats going on here I will take the advice.

I do have a second HR20 on its way. I should have it Thursday, with 2 in the house I will be able to tell when I have the problem on one if its on both. So I hope that helps me narrow down the possibilities.

· Icon
545 Posts
jspiewak said:
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead again, but I was having my local HD 'problem' again last night. When it occurred I quickly checked out the signal strengths. All the satellites seemed to be the same except the 103(a). During the 'problem' I was receiving signal strength on the even numbered transponders from the 103(a) satellite, but very weak numbers were in the 20s. And I had some zeros on the odd numbered transponders. As you can see from my previous post I have always had zeros in the even transponders, and very good signal strength in the odd transponders when local HD is working properly.
If anyone has any clue whats going on here I will take the advice.

I do have a second HR20 on its way. I should have it Thursday, with 2 in the house I will be able to tell when I have the problem on one if its on both. So I hope that helps me narrow down the possibilities.
It sounds to me that you have an LNB going south! If you experiance the same problems with your 2nd HR20, I'd have D* come out and change it??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.