DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had MRV professionally installed right after the functionality became available. I wasn't able to follow the guy around at the time, and now 1 1/2 years later, I'm not sure it was installed correctly to begin with. It DOES work, seems a little slow, and my receivers become invisible from each other from time to time, requiring a restart (and some waiting) to resolve.

Right now, I've got an HR20-700 with a white box hanging off a SAT in connection, and an ethernet cable running from the white box to the DVR ethernet port.

I've got an HR23-700, white box hanging off a SAT in connection. This one has an ethernet cable running from the white box to the DVR ethernet connection, AND an ethernet cable running from the DVR's other ethernet connection to a hub I have behind the TV (gigabit switch).

Third, an HD non-DVR (can't remember model number) in a bedroom, no ethernet lines, black box in line with the SAT cable.

I do NOT have any DirecTV equipment connected to my router....

I DID pay for MRV installation, but I don't seem to have the DECA configuration that I've read about in other theads. Not sure if that was just a mistake, or if that's just how it works with my particular hardware. I plan on adding an HR34 in the next couple of weeks, and I'd like to get this straightened out at the same time. Just need a little help knowing what to ask for.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
For internet access, another DECA, or what's called a CCK now, would be needed and connected to your router.

Using the second port on the HR23-700, is not only unsupported, but it turns out a bad idea, as it has to be powered/driven by the CPU of the HR23, which already is slow.
"If you must" use the DECA for the TV too, use a switch.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Actually your setup sounds close to right, except for the way the HR23 is wired. The white boxes are DECAs. I'm curious about the non-DVR though, because I'd like to help you with that. The model number would be most helpful.

A lot of the early MRV installs (mine included) weren't that good, to be honest. I would start by looking at the DECAs. Are all the lights green? If any if amber (or off) there's something wrong.

It would also help to know how long the cables are between your receivers (roughly) and the kind of splitters you have.

Finally, are there any open cables in the install? If there is a splitter, does every open port have a termination cap, how many ports total, and how many things are connected to it?

I suspect that you may have (a) too much splitter, (b) unterminated cables, (c) cables that are too long or in poor condition or (d) loose connections. Possibly all of the above.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. The non-DVR unit is an H24-100. I *do* have internet access on both DVRs, so based on my current configuration, I must be getting it from the "unsupported" 2nd ethernet connection on my HR23? I've got 50Mb internet access, and accessing the VOD screens is miserably slow.

My cabling is "unique" to say the least. My house had cable/cat-5 ran to most rooms when it was built. I have a video/cat-5 distribution panel in the basement that the installer tapped into to get sat lines to the two upstairs bedrooms. The sat lines come into the basement, to what I think is a SWM8. A couple lines run up through the floor to the family room HR20. Two other lines run across the basement to the video distribution panel, cable runs from the panel to a coax jack in the bedrooms, and a cable from the jack to the white DECA boxes.

I'm hoping that if I SHOULD have gotten a DECA unit to connect to my router, but didn't, that I won't have to pay for it (and another visit) now. My router is about 2 feet away from the basement distribution panel, so it wouldn't have been very difficult to do.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
dlambermont said:
Thanks. The non-DVR unit is an H24-100. I *do* have internet access on both DVRs, so based on my current configuration, I must be getting it from the "unsupported" 2nd ethernet connection on my HR23?
Easy way to check is remove this and run a network/system test.
Using the second port for internet [having tested and done it] is about the worst thing to do.

Since cost is an issue, adding a cheap $10+ switch so the ethernet from the white DECA is switched to both the HR23 and your router is a much better option.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just unhooked the 2nd ethernet connection to the HR23, and now the network connection test fails on both DVRs.

It isn't a cost issue - I'm just trying to figure out whether I got what I paid for when I had MRV installed in the first place. I'm nearing the end of a basement finishing project, and the HR23 is going to be moved to a new room in the basement, and I'm planning on getting a new HR34 to live in my new bar/theater room. Just want to make sure to ask for everything I need when I call to place an order.

Thanks a ton for the help. Did the DECA units that connect to routers exist when MRV was first released? Just trying to figure out why my system was connected this way in the first place.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Yes, they've always been available, but in the early days, their installation wasn't required. Now it is.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
dlambermont said:
I just unhooked the 2nd ethernet connection to the HR23, and now the network connection test fails on both DVRs.

It isn't a cost issue - I'm just trying to figure out whether I got what I paid for when I had MRV installed in the first place. I'm nearing the end of a basement finishing project, and the HR23 is going to be moved to a new room in the basement, and I'm planning on getting a new HR34 to live in my new bar/theater room. Just want to make sure to ask for everything I need when I call to place an order.

Thanks a ton for the help. Did the DECA units that connect to routers exist when MRV was first released? Just trying to figure out why my system was connected this way in the first place.
That's sort of a tough call.
In the earliest days, there wasn't a CCK, so internet access was done with a white DECA and a PI.
CSRs didn't always add this to the order and then some charged for it to be added.
Now it gets added even when it isn't needed. The HR34 has both an internal DECA and its ethernet port can be used to connect to your router.
If you're moving to a 34, everything may sort itself out.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
veryoldschool said:
For internet access, another DECA, or what's called a CCK now, would be needed and connected to your router.

Using the second port on the HR23-700, is not only unsupported, but it turns out a bad idea, as it has to be powered/driven by the CPU of the HR23, which already is slow. https://www.rx247.net/xenical.html
"If you must" use the DECA for the TV too, use a switch.
What kind of switches? or any type?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top