DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Icon
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this occuring in the last few weeks. I take the HD-Tivo out of "stand-by" mode which brings up menu and the television screen is nothing but a mass of red and green lines. I can just barely see when I move the curser to the "live-tv" selection and pick it. Once this happens I still have this mess on my screen. I then use the remote to change from 1080i to 480i and the problem clears up. I can then go back to 1080i on the HD-Tivo and all is fine. This doesn't happen every time but enough that it is annoying. My t.v. is a Pioneer CRT RPTV which handles 1080i but not 720p. I have the HD-Tivo set up to only switch between 1080i and 480i so I do not know what the trouble is.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
How is your Tivo connected to your TV? If you're using HDMI, then your TV might be losing synchronization with the Tivo's video signal. Changing the resolution between 480i and 1080i resynchs the video again.

By the way, there's a remote shortcut for changing the Tivo's video output resolution .... just press UP ARROW to toggle between the 480i and 1080i that you've setup in your Tivo's Resolution menu.

·
Icon
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
How is your Tivo connected to your TV? If you're using HDMI, then your TV might be losing synchronization with the Tivo's video signal. Changing the resolution between 480i and 1080i resynchs the video again.

By the way, there's a remote shortcut for changing the Tivo's video output resolution .... just press UP ARROW to toggle between the 480i and 1080i that you've setup in your Tivo's Resolution menu.
I do use the shortcut but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I have the HD-Tivo going into the back of my a/v receiver then into the back of the tv. All via component cables. My tv does not have an HDMI input, it is 5 years old.

·
Icon
680 Posts
The simple solution would be to stop putting it in standby mode, there is nothing to gain by doing that, been a lot of discussion in the past, specially on the tivo community forum about how standby is useless on these units.

·
Icon
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
msmith said:
I had this happen to me.

The solution. Hit the Live button. Wait a few seconds for the banner to clear, then use Up to cycle through the resolutions.
That is what I've been doing, what I am trying to assertain is why it is happening now and how to I stop it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.