DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have D* service and with Buffalo, NY getting Local channels in the near future I went out and purchased a Multi-Satellite dish. Buffalo locals will be on the 119 degree location. With the Multi-Sat you can hook up 4 receivers to the dish, Do you have to do anything special other than running one cable to one receiver to pick up stations from both satellite locations?

·
Icon
597 Posts
I thought the oval Dish contains a switch somewhere along the line. Four cables into the switch... into two cables?

·
Icon
622 Posts
The oval dish usually comes with a 4 in/4 out switch designed so it can be mounted directly on the switch (but it doesn't HAVE to be mounted there). You may replace this with an after market switch with more outputs if you need.

Each tuner will need one feed from the switch (A DirecTivo or UTV would need two feeds from the switch to utilize dual-tuner mode).

Oh, and your receiver needs to be multi-satellite compatible, too. Most receivers produced Y2K or later should be. Check the setup menus for mutli-sat info.

·
Legend
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the TERK Oval dish. This dish has the switch built right in with 4 lines coming out of it to run to 4 receivers. I had it installed yesterday.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Getting already for the big day I see :D

·
Legend
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am Steve. I'll be getting out from Adelphia just in time. I think they are going to go bankrupt!!!

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Its going to be interesting to see what happens with Adelphia. I guess that waterfront project is scraped. I wonder what the future of the Sabres will be and I wonder if Adelphia does go if TW will move into the Adelphia areas, making all of WNY TW territory.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I've got adelphia cable modem in Canton, GA - hope they get taken over by a provider that will do a better job with that network.

·
Legend
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neil, You should go with DSL. It's faster because you are not connected on the same line as people in your area. The more people in your area that are using the cable modem the slower it is. You don't get that with DSL.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
I'm a network engineer, and the decision to go cable was painful knowing exactly what you just stated. I went the way that I did because the local telco in this part of GA is Alltel, and their adsl offering is twice the cost of cable for half the rated speed. Somehow they have managed to keep that larger dsl providers out of their co's, so they are the only DSL game in town.

I'm 80% pleased with the cable modem... Adelphia's problems here rotate around DNS (which I got around) and DHCP. So far, I'm one of the few on the cable network in this area, so my speed is decent. At least I don't have a contract, so i can switch when the situation improves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.