DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the HR 20 for about a month. Picture quality seems fine, but I've been reading different comments about the multi switch. I have aZinwell SAM 4803 4x8 switch. It is the same switch I had before the HR 20. I am assuming I am OK with this one since things seems fine, but wanted to get confirmation.:confused: :confused:

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Are you getting HD locals over the satellite?

The WB68 is the only multiswitch rated for the bandwidth required for all of the Ka/Ku satellite feeds. You may have problems in the future with HD feeds if you are not using the WB68.

Carl

· Mentor
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe I have the new dish, the 5 LNB one. DTV came and replaced it when I bought the HR20 and ordered high def. Sounds like they should have installed a new multi-switch.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
cpenfiel said:
I believe I have the new dish, the 5 LNB one. DTV came and replaced it when I bought the HR20 and ordered high def. Sounds like they should have installed a new multi-switch.
Yes. Insist that they come back and replace your old multiswitch with the Zinwell WB68. Your current switch will not work after the new Ka-band (MPEG4) satellites go active in 2007.

· AllStar
93 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yes. Insist that they come back and replace your old multiswitch with the Zinwell WB68. Your current switch will not work after the new Ka-band (MPEG4) satellites go active in 2007.
Do all the 5lnb dishes have a multi switch and where is it ?. What is the purpose of the switch ?

· DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
Call DirecTV and they'll come back out. Make sure you're not charged for the visit, they will credit it back on your bill. I had the same thing happen and they took care of it.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
I.M. Nobody said:
Do all the 5lnb dishes have a multi switch and where is it ?. What is the purpose of the switch ?
Yes. The 5-LNB dishes have an internal four-output multiswitch that's part of the dish LNB assembly. If you need more than four output feeds, DirecTV is supposed to provide a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch with eight outputs. The four dish outputs connect to the multiswitch's four satellite inputs. A 16-output version (WB616) is also available.

The multiswitch's purpose is to send the correct satellite signal (transponder, etc.) to each of your DirecTV Receivers and DVR tuners. This is done through various DC voltage levels and AC switching frequencies.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Just a note and a warning. I, too, had the 4803 with my previous 3 LNB dish for my several HR10s. When I upgraded to the HR20s (before I knew they weren't fully functional), the installer came out and replaced my old dish with a new AT9 (5LNB with "sidecar"). He never went into my closet where the multiswitch is though.

I have since then been having intermittent satellite drop outs (actually transponders on various satellites) along with apparently good transmission. After several service calls (including one where a guy who had been out before to check on my problem merely called me in the morning and said he couldn't help me), yesterday two seemingly more proficient guys came out and tested the LNBs, the switch and the dish alignment (thanks to all here from whom I've recieved an education over the past month). They found that the main LNB was bad. Looking further, they found that one of the cables in the house side was burned from a short. They then asked what kind of switch I had when the dish was installed. I told them the powered 4803. They asked whether the guy went into the closet to unplug the switch before installing the new dish. I told them no, he never went into to switchbox.

They informed me the short likely occurred when the satellite was installed with the powered switch in place. Performance had been spotty and intermittent for about a month, including times when all satellites registered good strength, the test channels displayed properly and all channels came in fine.

I'm not sure whether this is a legitimate explanation, but I guess I'll see after about a week. If they are correct, make sure you unplug your switch before installing a new dish (or at least before installing a new AT9).

I should also say that the knowledge gleaned over the past month in this forum helped my become more proficient and enabled me to speak intelligently with the installers/service guys. Again, thanks to all.

· Legend
206 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Yes. The 5-LNB dishes have an internal four-output multiswitch that's part of the dish LNB assembly. If you need more than four output feeds, DirecTV is supposed to provide a Zinwell WB68 multiswitch with eight outputs. The four dish outputs connect to the multiswitch's four satellite inputs. A 16-output version (WB616) is also available.

The multiswitch's purpose is to send the correct satellite signal (transponder, etc.) to each of your DirecTV Receivers and DVR tuners. This is done through various DC voltage levels and AC switching frequencies.
The D* CSRs are clueless about the Zinewell 6x16. :scratchin:

Can you confirm that it is available to any installers or DTV yet?
Anyone actually seen one?

I need one for my install to replace a spawn 5012 and then I can move up to the
5LNB dish.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
When I signed up for HR20/AT9 install I was told that I would be getting a 6x8 multiswitch when they came out to install it theguy did not have one with him. I aksed if there would be any issues and he said no. I called retention and asked them and they said that I would only get the 6x8 if I was adding a third TV, I only have two right now. I asked retention to add a note to my account stating that I will not have any issues with the setup the way it is. A supervisir was on the line and they added the note. I called the next day and asked a CSR to read the last note in my accont back to me and they said that it was a note stating that I was informed that i wll not have any issues with the setup and that if i did they would come and replace the switch free of charge.

· Legend
192 Posts
Mixer said:
When I signed up for HR20/AT9 install I was told that I would be getting a 6x8 multiswitch when they came out to install it theguy did not have one with him. I aksed if there would be any issues and he said no. I called retention and asked them and they said that I would only get the 6x8 if I was adding a third TV, I only have two right now. I asked retention to add a note to my account stating that I will not have any issues with the setup the way it is. A supervisir was on the line and they added the note. I called the next day and asked a CSR to read the last note in my accont back to me and they said that it was a note stating that I was informed that i wll not have any issues with the setup and that if i did they would come and replace the switch free of charge.
If you don't have more than 2 DVR's (total of 4 connections) then you don't need a multiswitch at all.

· Mentor
32 Posts
S. DiThomas said:

5LNB dish.
Since you already have a very nice Spaun, keep it and do what I outline in this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69836

D* will give you a WB68 for free when they put in the AT9 dish since you have more than 4 connections to the dish.

Using the stacked MS like I portray in that thread, you can have up to 4 MPEG4 conections + 12 mpeg2 compatible links. All with the benefit of being powered by the SPAUN. If you later need more than 4 MPEG compatible links, then you need to go to a new MS.

(actually, MPEG4 has nothing to do with it, it's just that channels encoded with that are on the new birds and will soon require both a wideband MS and the BBC's)

· Registered
5,530 Posts
JonFo said:
Since you already have a very nice Spaun, keep it and do what I outline in this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69836

D* will give you a WB68 for free when they put in the AT9 dish since you have more than 4 connections to the dish.

Using the stacked MS like I portray in that thread, you can have up to 4 MPEG4 conections + 12 mpeg2 compatible links. All with the benefit of being powered by the SPAUN. If you later need more than 4 MPEG compatible links, then you need to go to a new MS.

(actually, MPEG4 has nothing to do with it, it's just that channels encoded with that are on the new birds and will soon require both a wideband MS and the BBC's)
I was going to post this solution but you beat me to it!!

The "old" range of multiswitches will work at the moment but will have problems when DirecTV 10 and 11 start broadcasting in Ka-lo next year, so you need to have the WB68 or WB616. Yes, the WB616 does exist, I have seen posts from people who have it. I believe also it is powered so some of the problems people have seen with the WB68 will hopefully be solved.

The stacked multiswitch approach suggested by JonFo has the advantage that since it includes a powered multiswitch, albeit stacked just below the WB68, you are not reliant any more on the receivers on the WB68 providing enough power to drive the signalling voltages to the dish. Many of the "searching for satellite" and lost channel problems seem to be related to using the WB68 with longer cable runs. By adding the powered multiswitch, or using a Sonora signal locker, these problems can almost certainly be avoided. I have my WB68 stacked on top of a Terk 5x8, I have an H20 and an HR20, and three regular receivers, and have so far not had any missing channels.

· AllStar
92 Posts
S. DiThomas said:

5LNB dish.
Not only are some clueless, but those who do know about it, and put it on your workorder to install it (i require 10 outputs off my dish) - the tech that came to my house didn't have any. He says his company doesn't supply them. After 2 service calls, D* is just crediting me for buying it on my own...

200 Posts
pgiralt said:
If you don't have more than 2 DVR's (total of 4 connections) then you don't need a multiswitch at all.
Can you use a (3) LNB with (2) DVR's?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The 3-LNB dish has four outputs. It can feed four tuners/receivers without a multiswitch. So yes, if all you have is two DVR's, then you can feed both tuners of both units without a separate multiswitch.

Carl

200 Posts
carl6 said:
The 3-LNB dish has four outputs. It can feed four tuners/receivers without a multiswitch. So yes, if all you have is two DVR's, then you can feed both tuners of both units without a separate multiswitch.

Carl
Thanks, I guess I should have provided more info. I just got the HR20-700s last week. The majority of the literature I read stated all I needed was a (3) LNB.

I had the Hughes TIVO unit which I plan on putting downstairs now.

When I called to activate my new HR20, I was asked if I had the new (5) LNB which I do not have. They went ahead and activated my account stating that I may have problems receiving local HD channels. I was also told to install both the broadband converters (BBC) on both satellite in connections to the HR20. They told me that I need them to receive the local channels.

Do I need the (5) LNB to run both my HR20 and the TIVO unit?
Is the (5) LNB required just for local HD, when available?
What is the point of the off air antenna hook up? I can pull local HD channels currently thru my ATSC turner on my HD TV.

Thanks,
Scott
Directv since 1995

HR20-700S
Hughes TIVO DVR
Sony KDL40V2500 (HDMI)
Sony DAV-DX375 Home Theatere (no optical audio)

· Legend
192 Posts
kaminsco said:
Do I need the (5) LNB to run both my HR20 and the TIVO unit?
Is the (5) LNB required just for local HD, when available?
You need the 5 LNB Dish to be able to get HD Locals (if available in your area) and you'll likely need it for the MPEG4 national HD channels that come when DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched in 2007. Today you can get all the HD channels except for locals with a 3 LNB dish.
kaminsco said:
What is the point of the off air antenna hook up? I can pull local HD channels currently thru my ATSC turner on my HD TV.
Right now the connection doesn't do anything. When OTA is turned on (hopefully this week) you'll be able to record HD content with the 2 ATSC tuners in the HR20.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.