DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my hr20 installed, I told the guy I was planning on either, putting another tv in one of the bedrooms, or having another hr20 upstairs. Since all my lines are being use, straight from the dish, I have non left to use. The installer was supposed to install a 6x8 multi-switch. This is what I get for having my girlfriend home for the install(my fault).

So I recently called D** for a multi-switch. They said they will not ship one by itself. I would have to go by one. Or I can order a new box and have a free install again. But, I already have the h20 boxed up after swapping it out for the hr20. The question is, what type of switch do I need? Can it be any? or does it have to be compatable with the dish and mpeg4 signal?

·
Legend
191 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
That Terk you listed... will NOT work...
It may work for certain combination, but in general... it is not designed to work with the newest SATs

·
Legend
247 Posts
From what I hear and what I have installed is the 6 by 8 zinwell wb68
I have 4 recievers hooked up to it. I also hear any other switch will not
be compatible with mpeg 4. Correct me if Im wrong but the switch also draws power from the boxes.

Slimline 5lnb dish
(2) r10's
(1) hr20-700
(1) h20
(1) r15

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It is only "compatible" with MPEG-4 because of the SATs that MPEG-4 is being pushed off right now.

As P Smith said...
The Compression algorithms and the transmission specifications are not "linked" technically. It is just an easy way to explain it, without getting into the really nitty grittys.

The Zinwell WB68 is a passive switch, it gets what ever power it needs from the box requesting a certain signal... it is also responsible for re-directing that power from the box to the dish.. so the dish can lock in on the requested signal.

Hence why the "signal locker" for sonora, and some of the new power multiswitches (which are compatible, but are also very expensive), can provide users with a more stable signal... depending on the particular circumstances of the setup.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
loudog2 said:
So Earl since you live by me, are the zinwell 6x8's available at Radioshack, bestbuy or circuitcity? Or do I have to order online?
WB68's are not available in any of the commercial stores... at least I haven't seen them.

$23 on Ebay ($15 + $8 shipping)

·
Legend
191 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
That Terk you listed... will NOT work...
It may work for certain combination, but in general... it is not designed to work with the newest SATs
works fine if its the last one in a chain, and if a zinwell exists in the chain. alone, it wont work. I only know this because I had it before the at9 and was able to play w/ it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.