DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that one approach to overcoming the annoyances introduced by the HR20 (or at least to maintain marital bliss) is to keep one's original DVR in place as a backup.

How is that done?

I am anticipating an installation this Friday (Friday the 13th - call me an optimist). I currently have an old DTV Tivo Series II - works perfectly fine. How could I keep it in place while adding the new system? I know I'd need to use another video-in on the TV (not sure about audio - I'm currently using component and expect to stay w/it for HR20), but with only two coax running to current DVR, how do I feed new one? Split the two? I'd rather not have to run two additional coax (who needs a bigger hole in the house?), but if required, I may consider it. Is there any other way?

Recommendations gladly accepted.

Thanks

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
you can't split the feeds.
You would have two run another two lines, or use both DVRs in single tuner mode.

·
Legend
187 Posts
I am one of the people who talked about having the old directv tivo as a back-up, but I don't have it hooked up to the same tv. I have the old directv tivo in the basement and bedroom and the HR-20 in the livingroom. They don't charge double for dvr fees, so if you already have two tvs hooked up to directv and one is tivo, keep the tivo unit on a backup tv and put the hr-20 on an hdtv.

·
AllStar
50 Posts
Yes, keeping the old DVR as a backup is something I've VERY glad I did.

You will need more lines running into the house, though. The new dish they're installing should have a multi-switch with 4 outputs. They'd just have to run 2 new lines. Default free installation is 1 line up to 125' through 1 wall free - you have to negotiate if you want the fourth line. I have 2 lines into my HR20 and 1 line into my old DVR, since 1 line is fine for a backup unit.

If you have the money you can buy signal stackers/destackers - at least you could in the MPEG-2 days. I don't know if those work with the new higher bandwidth signals, but they're not cost effective for this kind of application. Go for the bigger hole and an extra line or two.

On a related note, the local HD station (SF Bay Area) for Desperate Housewives was displaying a card saying they were aware of the problem. The SD feed was fine, but I don't normally set the HR20 to record both the HD and SD feeds (uses up both tuners). Good thing I had the backup DVR previously setup to record those shows. So, even when it's not the HR20's fault, having the backup unit can be a good thing. HD broadcasting/D-TVing apparently isn't without its problems as well.

·
Icon
914 Posts
I use an HR10-250 and a HDVR80 in the living room. mainly because my Phillips 7000 support MRV (Multi-Room Viewing), but doubles as a good backup for the HD tivo. i'm going to have the same setup downstairs too. An HR20 and a Phillips 7000 SD TIVO downstairs, the SDTIVO has 640g and records movies 24x7. Plus I will feed signal from both to my office and probably the HR20 to the wife's office too - but only because I have a couple RF remotes ready and sitting here for it.

·
AllStar
54 Posts
qlanus said:
I've read that one approach to overcoming the annoyances introduced by the HR20 (or at least to maintain marital bliss) is to keep one's original DVR in place as a backup.

How is that done?

I am anticipating an installation this Friday (Friday the 13th - call me an optimist). I currently have an old DTV Tivo Series II - works perfectly fine. How could I keep it in place while adding the new system? I know I'd need to use another video-in on the TV (not sure about audio - I'm currently using component and expect to stay w/it for HR20), but with only two coax running to current DVR, how do I feed new one? Split the two? I'd rather not have to run two additional coax (who needs a bigger hole in the house?), but if required, I may consider it. Is there any other way?

Thanks
I have an HR20 and 2 DTV Tivos on one system. I use the HR20 exclusivly for HD recording and one of the other Tivos for SD. The other Tivo is exclusive to the kids. Yes it requires two lines for each DVR, but it is worth it. The Tivos also feed throughout the house using my existing cable tv wiring. When they install the HR20 the standard install will include the two additional lines if you choose to keep the old dvr. You will be required to pay the extra 4.99 lease fee if you keep both.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
qlanus said:

How is that done?

Thanks
I have the exact situation that you're describing. I currently have an hdvr2 series 2 sitting above the HR20 in my rack. I ran a single line to each tuner for a while and then added 2 more. If you're going to keep this setup, I highly recommend getting a universal remote (I have a harmony) to make life easier.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I have run multiple receivers on the same TV at different times. When I first got DirecTV I was running a HDVR2 DirecTivo and a Dish Network 6000 on the same TV through different inputs and separate dishes.

When I got my HR20 I moved my HR10 to a different TV that already had a HDVR2 connected. I put the HDVR2 in single mode since I only had three lines at that TV.

I have since deactivated the HDVR2 but it is still connected to the TV until my family watches all the their recorded shows.

·
Legend
194 Posts
qlanus said:

How is that done?

Thanks
You've read the posts that explain that you need multiple lines. I know it's a pain to run additional lines, but you're probably going to eventually want OTA for HD. You might as well bite the bullet and get the additional lines run unless you are sure that you can accept D*'s MP4 limitations. (While the quality is nearly as good as OTA here in Vegas, it is still slightly worse. More importantly, we only get two TV stations in HD and there is no indiciation when the others will come online. Seattle, from what I understand, has been inthis limbo for nearly half a year. Not having OTA HD defeats the purpose of HD because for most people, at least half the value of HD comes with the OTA programming. Though some people value HBO and ESPN more. And I suppose other people like watching flowers grow.)

Anyway, if you do run multiple DVRs, you should get a harmony remote. I currently run an HR20, an HR10, a media center PC, and my TV's own OTA tuner through a single A/V receiver using one remote. I use the 880 but also have a 550 i use in a spare room.

I had always been skeptical of universal remotes, but the harmony is hands down amazing.

·
Icon
828 Posts
Regarding jedster's mention of universal remotes:
If you have a lot of time on your hands and don't really need a lot of hard buttons, I would recommend one of the Pronto remotes. I have a TSU3000 and would love to get a TSU 7500 (color screen).
With the Prontos, you can virtually program any (IR) remote codes into it and set up macros to do dozens of things with the push of one button.
I have mine programmed so that with one button push, I can turn on my mits tv, Denon receiver and have either of my two HR20's or dvd recorder start up. I also can switch between any of my inputs with one button.
It can be a major headache to set up, but once you're done, it makes even the most complicated system easy to use.
Even my two granddaughters, age 9 and 10, can operate the system to watch Nik, Disney, Animal Planet or a dvd without any problems.
If you have a major cd or dvd collection on a multi-disc player, you can set up lists and program the Pronto to go to any individual movie, album or even song.
Being an lcd based display, it is possible to design your own buttons or use many that are posted at remotecentral.com and adapt them to your own needs.
The only negatives are that these remotes are relatively expensive hard to program, and have a limited number of "hard" buttons. I have not found the third negative to be a problem but others have.

By the way, Jedster, if you catch this--have you heard anything further about channels 3 and 8 setting up carriage on D*??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.