DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I setup a series link i record the episodes that record in primetime along with the syndicated programs that air in the afternoon. Is there anyway to set it up to only record the programs in the afternoon. The only option i see is to set the series link to first run only but i still want to record the primetime repeats but just not the repeats from 4 years ago.

·
Icon
668 Posts
It would be nice to have feature to do this automaticly. I do a lot of the same kinds of recordings. For example a show that airs live at 8pm is re-aired at 11pm. I like to record the later showing. The reason for recording at odd times is to always keep one tuner free to watch TV or have both tuners recording when the TV is off.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
LI-SVT said:
It would be nice to have feature to do this automaticly. I do a lot of the same kinds of recordings. For example a show that airs live at 8pm is re-aired at 11pm. I like to record the later showing. The reason for recording at odd times is to always keep one tuner free to watch TV or have both tuners recording when the TV is off.
In my Tivo days, I would just manually move that recording to the later show in situations where I needed a tuner free to watch TV, otherwise I left it to record what was scheduled. Not sure how the HR20 handles that.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
This is a major pain in the ass problem. Too many copies of shows I don't want overwelming the retention of episodes I do want. It seems to me that the best answer(s) are a combination a tad better smarts in the prioritizer and better data in the guide.

IF the networks put better guide data out there, especially the cable networks with their recurring shows, so duplicate episodes would be clearly identified, the prioritizer could then rely on that information. While Directv is not responsible, they could see an opportunity to separate themselves from the competition by finding a way to ensure better data. Or, since this probably doesn't give a huge competitive advantage, they could go to the networks and exert pressure to see that the guide data is improved.

With the better guide data, the prioritizer could notice a conflict between three shows at 9pm and realizing that one of the three is repeated at midnite, could reschedule that show for the midnite hour--even tho it is "higher" priority, all recordings get fulfilled.

Right now, for Directv (or Tivo, Motorola (Moxie), etc.) to spend lots and lots of time in either UI and/or prioritizer logic to handle the problems we have with recurring epsidodes doesn't seem the best approach. I can't think of an algorithm I'd feel comfortable with other than a "once per day", perhaps?

Thinking out loud,
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.