DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You good folks obviously don't get enough of the multi-switch questions, so after more than an hour of searching and reading not finding exactly what I'm looking to do, I thought I'd add another to your boards.

We have what I've determined to be what you folks are calling a Phase 3 DirecTV dish. It is oval with the triple LNB, a multiswitch of some sort built in and I have 4 RG6 cables running into my house. Two of those go to an UltimateTV receiver in the living room, two go to an identical UTV receiver in the bedroom so that I can do two-tuner recording on both boxes. Now my mother-in-law is moving in with us following the passing of her husband and she'll be living in a small house on our property roughly 100ft behind the main house and we're wanting to provide her DirecTV service also.

If I want to provide her standard definition, two tuner service to a third identical UTV receiver (found one used for a good price) in that house, my understanding is that I need a multiswitch.

So, with that background, here are my questions.

1) What type of multiswitch will I be needing? I'm assuming that a 4x8 is the minimum I'd be able to accomplish the goals with and that that would provide two more outputs for additional receivers if we wished.

2) Do I need anything other than the multiswitch? What brands/models are recommended?

3) Are there HD concerns here as well? Should I look at a different multiswitch considering that I will be using HD sometime in the next few years?

4) Is the cable run to the back house going to be an issue from a signal loss standpoint?

Thank you in advance and please feel free to throw the big words at me, as I can grasp technical stuff fairly well. :lol:

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Just about any 4x8 multiswitch should work. If you are contemplating HD in the future, it might be a good idea to get a Zinwell WB68, although Directv would probably provide it at the time you upgrade. A powered multiswitch (the WB68 is not powered) might be a good idea, but you should be fine at 100 ft if you use cable with a solid copper core for the 100 ft. run (the signalling voltage is a bigger issue than signal loss). Another possibility would be to install a second dish on the other building. The UltimateTV won't support HD, of course.

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
I think bobnielsen's suggestion of a second dish on the outbuilding is perhaps the best option for you. Because of the length of wiring runs between the buildings, you will probably get better results with a separate dish. The additional UTV would still just be an additional receiver on your account.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
As I read the original post, I was thinking that a separate Dual LNB dish on the other house would be much easier (if line of sight is not an issue) and probably a better solution than running additional feeds off the main dish to a separate structure. I see I was not alone in that thinking.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the small building has the southern sky entirely surrounded by trees, so I'm stuck on that.

Wouldn't getting the 6x8 require me to have 6 inputs NOW rather than later? Maybe I'm misreading the other posts I found on the subject.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
HayaBuddha said:
Unfortunately, the small building has the southern sky entirely surrounded by trees, so I'm stuck on that.

Wouldn't getting the 6x8 require me to have 6 inputs NOW rather than later? Maybe I'm misreading the other posts I found on the subject.
No. The Zinwell WB68 has four inputs for the main satellite dish's four outputs. The other two inputs are "Flexport" inputs in case you want to also add additional dishes for the International Channels (95-deg W satellite), or if your SD Local Channels come from the 72.5-deg W satellite.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,095 Posts
HayaBuddha said:

I have been using a Terk BMS-58 I think it is. and it workes great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.