DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I already know the answer to this one but I figured that I would ask anyways.

Here's my setup:

AT9 4 lines out going to WB68

From the WB68 I've run 4 lines to my living room and 4 lines to my bedroom.

If I were to get another WB68 could I just use the 4 lines that run into the living room and the 2nd WB68 to make 8 lines in the living room?

Or would I have to cascade from the main WB68 to the 2nd WB68 within a specific length from the original WB68 and then run the new lines into the living room?

My thought is that once I get D* to give me a deal to replace my owned HR10 with an HR20 [After OTA is on and bugs are worked out better] I'll keep the HR10 [With 500gb of drive space] hooked up just to record/store a bunch of movies in HD. I'll need 6 lines, at least 5, into my living room to do that though.

·
Icon
808 Posts
If you're trying to daisy-chain the WB68's then it will not work. You can use four splitters in line with the four feeds from the dish and run the outputs to the identical inputs on both WB68's. This will yield a total of 16 outputs so you'll have four extra for future expansion. There are several threads on this topic already if you do a search. Make sure the splitters are wideband models that go up to at least 2 GHz.

There seems to be a big debate on whether you need splitters that will pass power on both legs or just one. The general concensus seems to be that you need to use splitters that will pass power on only one leg when using them with powered multiswitches. You can use splitters that pass power on both legs with passive multiswitches like the WB68's.

·
Icon
808 Posts
The specs on the WB68 say it can't be cascaded. Like I said, this topic has been discussed numerous times so do a little leg work on your own if you don't like the answer you've been given. You decide. ;)

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
captain_video said:
The specs on the WB68 say it can't be cascaded. Like I said, this topic has been discussed numerous times so do a little leg work on your own if you don't like the answer you've been given. You decide. ;)
Dude, no one said I don't like the answer. I was simply commenting as I got 2 answers 1 yes, 1 no...

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
You can't cascade one WB68 with another, thay are unpowered multiswitches and you don't get enough signalling voltage.
You can use broadband splitters, must be power passing on BOTH legs, to split the four outputs from the dish and drive the inputs to two WB68s. You have to connect the outputs from each splitter to the same inputs on the two WB68s, it does not matter which of the inputs you use as long as it's the same one on each WB68.

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
RunnerFL said:
Dude, no one said I don't like the answer. I was simply commenting as I got 2 answers 1 yes, 1 no...
My bad. You cannot cascade two WB68 multiswitches. Check out the new WB616 which provides 16 outputs. Or parallel two WB68's as previously described.

·
Registered
16,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I ask is because I can't feasably run another 2 lines all the way from where the multiswitch would be and was wondering if I could somehow split them from the inside where I just need 2 more lines.

Oh well...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.