DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that for DIRECTV only one DVR fee was charged per account, but when I was checking out the website I found this,
"DVR Service Fee $5.99/mo per DVR If you select a DVR or HD DVR, the cost is $5.99/mo per receiver", on the customer service, commitments page.
So is anyone getting charged multiple DVR fees or is this an error on the site?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
That's a new one for me. I can tell you I only have one fee and more than one DVR. If this were true, Tom Robertson would be selling pencils on the street to feed his DVR habit.

Now, there is a mirroring fee per receiver, but that's the same whether or not it's a DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
The DirecTV Customer Agreement is written in such a way that DirecTV has the ability to increase their fees without having to rewrite the agreement, which would invalidate millions of existing agreements. For example:
  • Access cards are replaced for $20 but may be subject to fee up to $300.
  • There is no charge to reduce your services to a lower base package, but the customer agreement allows for a "downgrade" fee of up to $10.
  • The phone payment fee is $5.00, but the customer agreement allows for a fee of up to $10.
As long as DirecTV is adding customers and having existing customers ugrade to DVRs and HD DVRs at the rate they have been the last year or two, I'd not worry about DVR fees changing anytime soon.

· Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Newshawk:

I guess I was just wondering because I feel that the one DVR fee per account is the biggest advantage that DIRECTV has on multi DVR system, that and the stupid 4 tuner limit for Dish.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
This is not something that I have seen either, but I haven't made changes to my service in some time now. I continue to have a single DVR fee which (in my case) is part of a programming package.

· Legend
240 Posts
Interesting... this is what my bill looks like:

06/25/2008

Monthly Bill
$0.00
$0.00
06/25/2008
DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge
$5.99

$0.30
06/25/2008
TOTAL CHOICE PLUS - Charge
$54.99
$2.75

06/25/2008
XXXXXXXXXX13
Leased Receiver - Charge
$4.99
$0.25

06/25/2008
XXXXXXXXXX32
Leased Receiver - Charge
$4.99
$0.25

06/25/2008
XXXXXXXXXX31
Additional Receiver - Charge
$4.99
$0.25

06/25/2008
XXXXXXXXXX71
HD Access - Charge
$9.99
$0.50

The lower number (amount) is the tax.

NorfolkBruh

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
I have 3 DVRs and only one DVR charge.

Mike

· AllStar
85 Posts
burtom said:
"DVR Service Fee $5.99/mo per DVR If you select a DVR OR HD DVR, the cost is $5.99/mo per receiver", on the customer service, commitments page.
So is anyone getting charged multiple DVR fees or is this an error on the site?
what i understand in here is that if you got a dvr OR a hd-dvr, for that receiver you will get an additional $5.99 charge monthly.

naaa im just dreaming ... jajaja, i see there is a context issue there, it should be 5.99 for dvr service, not per receiver... well i doesnt have new info about any updates in charges.

so, as well as we doesnt have any new info there is nothing to worry about.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
I gots your No. 2 pencils, your mechanical pencils, fat pencils for the kindiegarden kids, and a special on Fourth of July 2007 pencils. All colors of the outside, and all black on the inside. :)

I have 9? DVRs on one account and 2 DVRs on another. And between the two only one DVR fee (like Doug, my main account has the DVR fee grandfathered.) :)

The DVR service fee per account is a big chunk of how I'm saving more than $110/month over a comparable setup with Comcast. (and have more HD and larger disk drives) :)

Cheers,
Tom

· Legend
240 Posts
Tom... as you can see from my post above, I have 3 HD DVR+ and on HD Tivo DVR. I HAD been grandfather'd (from the TIVO Lifetime fee). I'm thinking I probably should call and see what's up! You can see I still have an older package (Total Choice Plus). Hmmm... any suggestions?? I'd SURE like to save that $20 ($4.99 x 4 units!) fee!

NorfolkBruh

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
ah, but I do pay a lot in per receiver fees. Far less than comcasts $14-ish, so I'm ok. :)

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Norfolk,

Looking at your bill, xxx13 looks to be your primary receiver (referenced with your chosen package) and xxx31, xxx32, and xxx71 additional receivers. Those additional receivers are charged a program mirroring fee of $4.99 a month each (you are being charged three charges of $4.99), as do ALL receivers beyond your primary (everyone pays this regardless of receiver type). From looking at the billing you posted, you are NOT being charged a DVR fee on your account, which is consistent with your Lifetime TiVo being grandfathered.

· Icon
762 Posts
NorfolkBruh said:
Tom... as you can see from my post above, I have 3 HD DVR+ and on HD Tivo DVR. I HAD been grandfather'd (from the TIVO Lifetime fee). I'm thinking I probably should call and see what's up! You can see I still have an older package (Total Choice Plus). Hmmm... any suggestions?? I'd SURE like to save that $20 ($4.99 x 4 units!) fee!

NorfolkBruh
Your additional money being paid is the reciever or lease fees. Not related to DVR. I think you would be paying those whether you had a plain reciever or a DVR. The DVR fee is 5.99 a month and the mirror fees are 4.99 a month. I would be careful about calling as they are likely to screw something up and you would now have your lifetime dvr fee.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
About 8 months ago I called as previously comcast had a silly limit of something miniscule like 2 or 4 DVRs total. I was pleasantly surprised when they said they could give me 10 DVRs (didn't go into details of HD/non-HD) with tiny hard drives for $14/month per. Guess who'll stay with DIRECTV for a long time? :)

Cheers,
Tom

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
About 8 months ago I called as previously comcast had a silly limit of something miniscule like 2 or 4 DVRs total. I was pleasantly surprised when they said they could give me 10 DVRs (didn't go into details of HD/non-HD) with tiny hard drives for $14/month per. Guess who'll stay with DIRECTV for a long time? :)

Cheers,
Tom
I played around with my Aunt's Time Warner HD DVR with all of 110 GBs for a hard drive lol I'd blast through that in just a couple days lol

· Hall Of Fame
4,743 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
I gots your No. 2 pencils, your mechanical pencils, fat pencils for the kindiegarden kids, and a special on Fourth of July 2007 pencils. All colors of the outside, and all black on the inside. :)

I have 9? DVRs on one account and 2 DVRs on another. And between the two only one DVR fee (like Doug, my main account has the DVR fee grandfathered.) :)

The DVR service fee per account is a big chunk of how I'm saving more than $110/month over a comparable setup with Comcast. (and have more HD and larger disk drives) :)

Cheers,
Tom
just curious if u dont mind....what kind of setup in your house that u have 11 dvrs ?

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
just curious if u dont mind....what kind of setup in your house that u have 11 dvrs ?
2 houses, hence the two accounts. The second is my daughter's in Indiana.

As for the 9 in the main house I start with a simple philosophy: Every room needs a (HD) TV, every TV needs at least one HD DVR. :) The home theatre has 3 for tuner conflicts, backups, and movies, the kitchen and master bedroom each have two for similar reasons.

Then you get into guest rooms, master bath, etc. :)

Cheers,
Tom

· Hall Of Fame
4,743 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
2 houses, hence the two accounts. The second is my daughter's in Indiana.

As for the 9 in the main house I start with a simple philosophy: Every room needs a (HD) TV, every TV needs at least one HD DVR. :) The home theatre has 3 for tuner conflicts, backups, and movies, the kitchen and master bedroom each have two for similar reasons.

Then you get into guest rooms, master bath, etc. :)

Cheers,
Tom
oh ok was curious.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.