DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent months, the proverbial has really hit the fan for file sharing sites. But now,the music industry may be turning its sights to Google instead, focusing on the results they return to people searching for music.

According to reports from Torrent Freak, the International Federationof the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) doesn't feel Google does enough to censor pirated content. A document written by the IFPI, seen by Torrent Freak, states:

"Google continues to fail to prioritize legal music sites over illegal sites in search results,claiming that its algorithm for search results is based on the relevance of sites to consumers. With a view to addressing this failure, IFPI obtained a highly confidential and preliminary legal opinion inJuly 2011 on the possibility of bringing a competition law complaint against Google for abuse of its dominant position, given the distortion of the market for legitimate online music that is likely to result from Google's prioritizing of illegal sites."
http://gizmodo.com/5885936/music-industry-to-sue-google-over-pirate-search-results

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
If they RIAA would spend all that money lowering prices on new releases, instead of sueing 15 yr olds, maybe more people would buy the hard copy.

In all reality, these days, I feel kind of outdated even buying CD's, as all I do is rip them to my music server for playback. Sure beats that old 300 disc CD changer. RIAA just needs to get with reality.

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
Davenlr said:
If they RIAA would spend all that money lowering prices on new releases, instead of sueing 15 yr olds, maybe more people would buy the hard copy.

In all reality, these days, I feel kind of outdated even buying CD's, as all I do is rip them to my music server for playback. Sure beats that old 300 disc CD changer. RIAA just needs to get with reality.
+1 - as soon as get home with a new CD - first thing I do is rip it to MP3 on my harddrive. Then the CD should go into the CD storage book...

· Hall Of Fame
1,970 Posts
dpeters11 said:
People who do pirate don't need Google to find it. It will really only hinder some casual pirates.
+1 on that one, serious pirates know there are better ways than Google to find what they are looking for.

I often Google a song title I've heard to get more information and perhaps I'm ignoring it because I always use the same sources to buy music but in my recollection the number one result is usually a YouTube video of some sort.

I also agree that it's not Google's job to censor search results!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.