DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to seriously explore getting DTV HD but after looking at the available programming I wonder if it's really worth it, for me, at this point. The new channels include ESPN (never watch), Discovery, (very seldom watch), HBO & Showtime (occasionally watch), and HDNet, which is new to me. I looked at HDNet's schedule and there is some good programming (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room on 12/26, for one) but I don't know if that's a compelling enough reason to get HD service. I don't follow sports, other than Formula One racing on Speed.

DTV will "sell" me a HR20 for $100 and they just gave me $20 off my bill for 6 months b/c I have had their service for 10 years. They also are giving me $11 off for 3 months b/c I have Cinemax (I have TC Premier). So, the pricing is OK but I just need to convince myself that I will use the programming. I have a Series 2 D*Tivo Samsung 100-hour receiver that I love so I am carefully reading about the problems (and solutions) that I will come across with the HR20. I also have my eye on a 32 inch Sony LCD but, again, I really don't need it and by waiting 6 months to a year there surely will be better TVs. Maybe in that time span there will be more useful programming as well.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
That's a question which only you can answer, of course. I was in a similar situation last year and kept procrastinating. Then my 12-year old 41 in. Sony RP broke and I figured it made sense to replace it with a HD set, rather than spend several hundred dollars repairing it again. When the Directv 10 and 11 satellites become operational sometime next year there will be the capability of many more HD channels and hopefully the content will be there for Directv to carry, as well.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
HD programming is really starting to catch on - my provider has recently added four new HD channels and has just listed several more soon to come in the EPG. With HD, you will watch new programming you would have passed over in SD. Whatever your tipping point, just know that the high-definition landscape is getting broader and more beautiful with each passing day. HD will really make a difference in your enjoyment of television --I promise you this: it will change your viewing habits.

Go to www.hdtvmagazine.com to see what HD programming is currently available in your area and from your provider.

Also, check out DBSTalk's HDTV Programming forum HERE for discussions of what's on HDTV.

Welcome to DBSTalk.com and good luck in your quest.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
You didn't mention if HD locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are available to you. If you watch network programming now they may make it worth the investment. It looks like you are about 33 miles from Seattle, probably in the Seattle DMA, which means D* will provide you the Seattle HD locals. Don't know if this swings the deal, but it is worth considering.

·
Super Moderator
12,886 Posts
Elling said:
...by waiting 6 months to a year there surely will be better TVs. Maybe in that time span there will be more useful programming as well.
You can always wait 6 months to a year, for a new TV, a new car, a new computer, a new stove, a new anything. It is true, by waiting you will benefit from some incremental improvement in technology.

As bobnielsen stated, only you can make that decision.

While DirecTV does have a fairly limited HD offering right now, you can get the new receiver or DVR and not subscribe to the HD package. You will still get the locals in HD, and if you get Showtime or HBO I think you will also get the HD version of those. Plus, nothing is stopping you from hanging on to that Tivo either - use it in parallel with the new equipment.

Carl

·
Super Moderator
12,886 Posts
I have seen several posts that specifically indicated they did not have to get the HD package, however I don't have personal knowledge of that. I would certainly ask about it when I called DirecTV if I wasn't interested in the general HD package.

Carl

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
You might also consider if HD would make you watch programming you would not have watched before.

I never was interested in travel, skydiving or rock climbing shows, or shows about polar bears and elephants, until I saw them in HD.

OTA is a good idea if you are close enough to the stations to get it.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
leww37334 said:
You didn't mention if HD locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) are available to you. If you watch network programming now they may make it worth the investment. It looks like you are about 33 miles from Seattle, probably in the Seattle DMA, which means D* will provide you the Seattle HD locals. Don't know if this swings the deal, but it is worth considering.
Let's see, what do I watch on locals (thinking aloud):

Letterman
30 Rock
House
Everybody Hates Chris
The Amazing Race & Survivor

There are a few more shows that don't immediately spring to mind but HD locals is something that I didn't really consider. Thanks for noting that I am somewhat local to Seattle (although you couldn't tell from the I-5 commute:grin: ) - I should've noted that.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nick said:
Go to HDTV Magazine[dot]com to see what HD programming is currently available in your area and from your provider.
I looked at the HDTV Magazine site but I don't see where to find HD programming from my provider (which is D*). My cable option is Tulalip Cablevision. I don't see myself giving up D* for Tulalip anytime soon!:nono2:

Nick, thank you for the welcome and thanks to everybody else who has replied. I'm still on the fence but HD is looking more and more attractive.

One more thing: when I visit the HDTV Magazine site my computer says that they want to install an ActiveX control (from the Programming link). Is this normal? I know that I sound paranoid but my XP SP2 settings forbid this and I kinda hate to make an exception for just one site.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Hi Elling,

I just came across your post and am a bit concerned. We use no ActiveX on our site, nor any other proprietary technology. Which link was it you were clicking on when you got that message?

Regarding programming for your provider, once you set up an account (free), this is fully customizable by you. You can have as many or as few channels as you like in your listings.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Thanks,

- Shane Sturgeon

·
Icon
2,147 Posts
There's always some tipping point that will make you decide one way or the other. For me it was the dropping price of HDTVs (I bought a 42" Panny Plasma at the end of Nov.) combined with MOST of my locals in HD, and the promise of more eventually. I took the plunge, and don't regret it, except that the HR20 DVR is substandard compared to the Tivo (but that's mostly because it's buggy, not because of the features. There are things on either platform that I like better than the other). If you believe what D* is telling us, but the middle of this year, there might be a HUGE influx of HD channels coming. Might as well get it now before everyone else does.

Besides I agree, once you go HD, you'll find yourself watching stuff you never dreamed you would (How about 30 minutes worth of movie trailers on HDNet!!)

·
Icon
808 Posts
My advice to you is that if you can afford an HDTV right now then run to your nearest dealer and plunk down the cash. I bought my HDTV set over a year ago and my first reaction was "Why did I wait so long to do this?" Once you've experienced HDTV there's no turning back. It's really quite a revelation and one decision you'll never regret making, I promise you. Even if you can only get a sampling of HDTV programs at the moment it's still worth the switch. If you enjoy sports of any kind it will open up a whole new world for you.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mssturgeon said:
I just came across your post and am a bit concerned. We use no ActiveX on our site, nor any other proprietary technology. Which link was it you were clicking on when you got that message?
Shane,

I see the SP2 ActiveX warning at the http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/ main page (see attachment). Curiously, clicking on the info. bar for "options" changes nothing. If I just close the info. bar by clicking "X" it then goes away. Using IE 6, btw.

Attachments

·
AllStar
64 Posts
Very strange indeed!

The ONLY external bit of code I have on there is from Alexa, all the way at the bottom. I have removed it. Could you check again and see if you get the same message?

Do you get this only on the home page, or is it every page? That might help me narrow it down.

Thanks,

- Shane Sturgeon

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still getting the ActiveX warning on the Home page. When I initially posted (not today - about 2 weeks ago) I got it at the Programming page but that's not the case today.

On a side note, this forum is now being displayed in "flat" mode without all of the usual vBulletin icons ("vB code is on")......... It displayed normally when I first replied to Shane's post.

·
Super Moderator
12,886 Posts
Elling said:
Nick, thank you for the welcome and thanks to everybody else who has replied. I'm still on the fence but HD is looking more and more attractive.
The last post I made in this forum was not that long ago, but at that time I was just like you, thinking about HD but not ready to make the jump.

Since then, I bought an HDTV, and an HR20. Like someone else said ... why did I wait so long? I love it.

You'll get Seattle locals won't you? They all look great over the air. I don't have the new dish yet, so don't have them in HD via satellite yet.

Carl

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
carl6 said:
You'll get Seattle locals won't you? They all look great over the air. I don't have the new dish yet, so don't have them in HD via satellite yet.
Carl,

I'm not entirely sure that I will get Seattle locals with D* (I think so). I too just got a Panasonic 37" HD Plasma and ordered HD from D*. I got the HR20-700 for $100 after working with them (new dish won't be installed until Feb. 6). They also gave me $20 off of my bill for 6 months along with an additional $11 for 3 months b/c I have Cinemax (Total Choice Premier).

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Elling said:
Carl,

I'm not entirely sure that I will get Seattle locals with D* (I think so). I too just got a Panasonic 37" HD Plasma and ordered HD from D*. I got the HR20-700 for $100 after working with them (new dish won't be installed until Feb. 6). They also gave me $20 off of my bill for 6 months along with an additional $11 for 3 months b/c I have Cinemax (Total Choice Premier).
You should get the the Seattle NBC, CBS and Fox locals from 99 with the 5 LNB dish. The ABC station (KOMO) supposedly has finally come to an agreement with Directv, but it hasn't yet been uplinked to the satellite (soon I hope, since I don't get good reception OTA).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.