DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 348 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting patiently (oh let's be honest, impatiently) for the 1080P movie to show up on Channel 501 since Aug. 1. It showed up for me yesterday.

When ordering, it says your screen will go blank for up to 15 seconds while compatibility test of your TV is done to confirm you can play 1080P but mine only took about 2 seconds before it came back up.

I Am Legend in 1080P is a 24 hour rental, costs $2.99 for the month of August.

Picture looked great, as you would expect. My understanding is it's 1080P at 24 fps, or 1080P24.

I really can't say how much better it was than a 1080i broadcast, not without comparing the same movie in 1080i side by side.

Note: Don't be dismayed at the very beginning of the movie if you've never seen it before. I Am Legend has a brief intro of a little over a minute where it's in letterbox, and intentionally bad quality, just a conscious choice by the director in how he wanted to shoot that scene. It gets into the 1080P fairly quickly.

· Godfather
573 Posts
Wait, are you saying only the beginning of the movie is letterboxed?

If so that's quite disappointing and should be a warning to anyone considering "renting" it as its theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1 (and is presented on Blu-Ray as such.)

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kucharsk said:
Wait, are you saying only the beginning of the movie is letterboxed?

If so that's disappointing and should be a warning to anyone considering "renting" it as its theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1.
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing. Yes, it's just one scene at the very beginning of the movie that is letterboxed-- and that scene looked crummy in the theater too -- it's intentional, that's just the way the director shot that one particular scene with Emma Thompson and made it to look like it's from a TV interview. If you see I Am Legend or have seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Bottom line -- the movie is in 1080P, it filled up my 46" screen, and it looked good.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brewsta said:
Then it's being cropped from the 2.35:1 ratio it was exhibited in theatrically. It should be slightly letterboxed, even on a 16:9 TV.
My apologies, I misunderstood the orifinal question. I have my TV set to the Panoramic setting. When putting it to Normal, it does display slightly letterboxed but, if I had to guess, I don't think it's 2.35:1, couldn't say for sure.

· Icon
719 Posts
tcatdbs said:
My bad... only had Dish a week and still learning what does what.
Don't pay attention to that other guy. If he doesn't want to help, then oh well.

The VoD movies and such are automatically downloaded to your receiver's HDD. They do not go towards your total recorded hours available. When you order one, it basically unlocks the download, ready to go. Not really "video-on-demand", but you get the idea.

· Godfather
430 Posts
810DVR said:
Been waiting patiently (oh let's be honest, impatiently) for the 1080P movie to show up on Channel 501 since Aug. 1. It showed up for me yesterday.

When ordering, it says your screen will go blank for up to 15 seconds while compatibility test of your TV is done to confirm you can play 1080P but mine only took about 2 seconds before it came back up.

I Am Legend in 1080P is a 24 hour rental, costs $2.99 for the month of August.

Picture looked great, as you would expect. My understanding is it's 1080P at 24 fps, or 1080P24.

I really can't say how much better it was than a 1080i broadcast, not without comparing the same movie in 1080i side by side.

Note: Don't be dismayed at the very beginning of the movie if you've never seen it before. I Am Legend has a brief intro of a little over a minute where it's in letterbox, and intentionally bad quality, just a conscious choice by the director in how he wanted to shoot that scene. It gets into the 1080P fairly quickly.
Their is minimal difference in PQ between 1080p and 1080i.
I will not go into the necessity of a properly calibrated RPTV 1080i and a fix pixel being 720p or 1080p. Some take this "personal".
As I have stated before, I will put my 55" CRT RPTV(1080i input) PQ up against any Television of same size or bigger under 4000 dollars.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tcatdbs said:
How long did the download take? I just downloaded a free 4 minute deal on the CA Redwoods and it took 11 minutes in crummy SD quality.
hey tcatdbs, it worked as advertised, started up immediately with no wait time. Cheers.

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
tcatdbs said:
What happens when you hit "record" when playing a VOD movie?
Shortly, you will hear the whup-whup-whup of a decending
helicopter, then a firm rap-rap-rap on your door! Don't worry,
it's only the government and they're just coming to help you
obey the law... :eek:

· Icon
643 Posts
OK... I was hoping you could put it on the DVR. You can't do anything with it except view it on that, so no laws are broken... you can record all the premium channel movies. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

1 - 20 of 348 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.