DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.. I have finally started down the path of more "stuff" and I am now getting around to what I will need to finish off my DTV installation plan..

So .. here is what I think I have currently installed (done during a new installation via Qwest/Centurylink bundled service deal)

Slimline dish and I think an SL3 (four outputs??) LNB with single wire That single wire runs from the dish to my outside junction box ( an old COX cable setup where all my homeruns from interior rooms are terminated) and connects there via a SWM 4 way splitter to my current setup which is...

One H24-100 (HD receiver) and one HR24-500 (HD DVR receiver) along with the Connected Home Adapter (Model DECA1MR0-01) for Whole Home Service.

Wish List for future install is :: One HMC34 and another H24-100 (hopefully) so that all four TV's are connected and DirecTV happy

As I have read plenty on this forum... several questions come to mind

1).. I have the Whole Home service currently but it is with Coax.. I have a Gigabit network installed and a port on switches in each of the rooms to move that service over.. IS THAT something I should consider or is keeping the existing DECA wiring the way to go???

2).. I will have the need for 5+2+1+1 channels (total of 9) in the future install.. DOES THE Deca adapter count as an additional channel to be accounted for?? WHAT WILL that mean for my current wiring to the outside dish and the outside junction box?? AND WILL that mean a whole new SWM install?? Current power for the SWM is being done by a PI21R1-03 power insterter that is inside the house currently hanging off the H24-100 install. WILL THAT have to be changed also??

3).. ARE THERE others things I haven't considered that should be for this new setup to happen as quickly and painlessly as possible??.. The interior wiring for the two new installs is (or will be ) in position so that all the access for that can happen out in the old COX junction box.. IS THAT a good thing to do or should I look a terminating those elsewhere?? A thought on a different way to terminate one of these would require me to take an existing run (of course the one room I need the service in wasn't in my original plans for the homeruns that were installed in the house at the original build time.. Isn't that what always happens with good planning.. just more planning to follow..) and use a certified splitter to get two signals from one incoming run .. This work has to happen in my hot cramped attic so the less cable to pull the better but if anyone thinks that pulling another cable vs splitting an existing cable is the way to go... please say so

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.. Looking forward to this soon

Don J

· Icon
510 Posts
donaldj68 said:
Well.. I have finally started down the path of more "stuff" and I am now getting around to what I will need to finish off my DTV installation plan..

So .. here is what I think I have currently installed (done during a new installation via Qwest/Centurylink bundled service deal)

Slimline dish and I think an SL3 (four outputs??) LNB with single wire That single wire runs from the dish to my outside junction box ( an old COX cable setup where all my homeruns from interior rooms are terminated) and connects there via a SWM 4 way splitter to my current setup which is...

One H24-100 (HD receiver) and one HR24-500 (HD DVR receiver) along with the Connected Home Adapter (Model DECA1MR0-01) for Whole Home Service.

Wish List for future install is :: One HMC34 and another H24-100 (hopefully) so that all four TV's are connected and DirecTV happy

As I have read plenty on this forum... several questions come to mind

1).. I have the Whole Home service currently but it is with Coax.. I have a Gigabit network installed and a port on switches in each of the rooms to move that service over.. IS THAT something I should consider or is keeping the existing DECA wiring the way to go???

2).. I will have the need for 5+2+1+1 channels (total of 9) in the future install.. DOES THE Deca adapter count as an additional channel to be accounted for?? WHAT WILL that mean for my current wiring to the outside dish and the outside junction box?? AND WILL that mean a whole new SWM install?? Current power for the SWM is being done by a PI21R1-03 power insterter that is inside the house currently hanging off the H24-100 install. WILL THAT have to be changed also??

3).. ARE THERE others things I haven't considered that should be for this new setup to happen as quickly and painlessly as possible??.. The interior wiring for the two new installs is (or will be ) in position so that all the access for that can happen out in the old COX junction box.. IS THAT a good thing to do or should I look a terminating those elsewhere?? A thought on a different way to terminate one of these would require me to take an existing run (of course the one room I need the service in wasn't in my original plans for the homeruns that were installed in the house at the original build time.. Isn't that what always happens with good planning.. just more planning to follow..) and use a certified splitter to get two signals from one incoming run .. This work has to happen in my hot cramped attic so the less cable to pull the better but if anyone thinks that pulling another cable vs splitting an existing cable is the way to go... please say so

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.. Looking forward to this soon

Don J
1) Deca is DTV supported if you ever have problems. Over your network is not. Also If your network is all jammed up with downloading and gaming going on it could interfere. Other than that its kinda your preference. If its already hooked up to deca, Id roll with that.

2)The Broadband Deca does not count as an additional tuner. (Ive been threatened violence against me for not knowing that before (thanks veryoldschool) haha.
with more than 8 tuners you are going to need a SWM16 module. You will need 4 lines run from the dish to the SWM16 . from there you can feed 2 splitters. one can feed the one you have now. and the other side can goto the attic and you can put the other splitter up there to make your life easier

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks wallfishman.. appreciate the comments

I was hoping to avoid the four cables coming down from the dish (esp since I have had the house painted and the current one wire was nicely painted with it and disappears into the wall now) but if that's what it takes than so be it.. but I am still wondering if they could do this install a little different..

Where would the SWM 16 fit into this install and does it need power connected directly to it or can it get that power from somewhere else on the wiring plan (much like the current power inserter does now)

And a good idea to use the current splitter and add an additional one in the attic which could solve my wiring problem for the one room I don't currently have any coax cable to..

Do you ever have to do anything with the SWM module after it has been installed.. that would preclude me from considering an attic install of that part since my attic is hard to access and the Phoenix heat is no man's (or woman's ) friend during many months of the year..

More ideas and more questions

Thanks

Don J

· Legend
383 Posts
donaldj68 said:
Do you ever have to do anything with the SWM module after it has been installed.. that would preclude me from considering an attic install of that part since my attic is hard to access and the Phoenix heat is no man's (or woman's ) friend during many months of the year..

More ideas and more questions

Thanks

Don J
Other than connecting new equipment i have never had to touch anything in my past systems. There are alot of people that have the SWM's in the attic. As far as where to mount yours it really up to you. I have had systems in the past where all connections terminated in the basement and that was where the switches where...now, at my current place everything is terminated in the cable box on my back porch.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The SWM16 can go most anyplace. I would suggest near the old coax entry box you mention. Four coax from dish to SWM16. Two coax from SWM16 (one for each group of 8 tuners) to your cabling box. Distribution from there to your receivers.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.. just wondering.. is the SWM16 sturdy enough to be placed on its own on my outside wall (on the early to noonish sun side) in Arizona or is it better to be placed within some type of shell (like the current little 4 port splitter is now) Trying to minimize how far the four coax cables would be coming down my wall and then trenching them over to the current site (again that old COX cable box)

I appreciate all the help and answers I am getting here.. just trying to make sure I can speak intelligently to whoever comes to do the installs and that it gets done correctly and to my (and all of your ideas) best specifications and options..

Don J

· Godfather
483 Posts
donaldj68 said:
Thanks for the reply.. just wondering.. is the SWM16 sturdy enough to be placed on its own on my outside wall (on the early to noonish sun side) in Arizona or is it better to be placed within some type of shell (like the current little 4 port splitter is now) Trying to minimize how far the four coax cables would be coming down my wall and then trenching them over to the current site (again that old COX cable box)

I appreciate all the help and answers I am getting here.. just trying to make sure I can speak intelligently to whoever comes to do the installs and that it gets done correctly and to my (and all of your ideas) best specifications and options..

Don J
inside the conditioned space of your house is best.

outside on a wall is better than inside an attic

if it has to be outside, up under the eave is better than on a wall in full sun. If it needs to be outside, use the plastic part of a screw clip under the switch to make a standoff and allow air flow behind the switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.