DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a problem with my DVR, it could not make a call for 2 weeks. I called support and the guy on the phone was a *****. He said we need to restart your DVR, hit info 3 times then down. I said ok, I did nothing happen, the guy said "do it".(I did it and nothing happen.

So now I have to delets all my shows and restart the DVR like the first day I got it. :mad:

What might fix the problem. As I was told.

· Registered
12,607 Posts
Need more information ....
* Brand/model DVR?
* What is the exact problem? You say "could not make a call for 2 weeks". Was that causing any specific problems? DirecTV DVRs do not really need to make any phone calls, so you can safely ignore/delete any "nagging message" about missed phone calls.

· Banned
4,642 Posts
I see you're hitting a button three times. If you have an HR20 once you select Restart Recorder you hit DASH 3 times and it will restart keeping your programs.

If you've got the HR10 (Tivo model) once you select Restart Recorder you hit Thumbs Down (Red button) 3 times and then press ENTER. That will restart your record keeping all of your programs.

No DirecTV HD DVR requires hitting INFO 3 times.

The other option would be to pull the plug for about 30 seconds. But as litzdog stated, it would help to know what DVR you have.

· Legend
182 Posts
Well, if you don't have the remote with a DTivo, you press the info button 3 times to get the thumbs down, then the down arrow on the receiver to get the "enter"...that's another way to restart/clear and delete everything if that's what he's done. I don't see why someone would have you clear and delete everything for a daily call problem...

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Before you delete everything...

Knowing which unit would be a big help, but it sounds like a TiVo unit. To Restart those, under Messages and Settings the last option (I think) includes a 'Restart' option. When you choose that, it tells you to hit 'Thumbs Down' three times, then 'Enter'.

If it is a TiVo unit, there should be a 'Phone' option of some sort under 'Settings' (I'm at work right now so this is all by memory). Under that 'Phone' option, there should be a 'Make Daily Call' option, but there should also be a 'Test Phone Connection' option. I would try that before I do anything as drastic as a Clear and Delete. As Wolffpack mentioned, the advice on hitting INFO is off the mark.

There are a lot of things to check out before starting from scratch. Given the problem making the call, I would do the phone check first. Is your receiver connected to the phone line? Can you test that line with a phone to see that it's working? If all looks good there, do the receiver's phone test. What happens then?

I've never done more than a RBR with my HR20, so if that's what you've got, my advice may not be so helpful.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.