DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Dec.20th I spoke to someone from retention about getting a discount since I was an A+ customer and have been getting a lot of solicitations from my local cable company. I was offered a free HD DVR including install. So I said that is fine and set up a "Wide open" according to them appointment time of today (1/3). Yesterday my wife was home from work. So yesterday I called to see if they had any openings then so I wouldn't have to miss a half a day today. They said no and that I was confirmed for today. Anyways, the day goes by and no one comes or calls. I try calling Directv all day and their computers are down so they can't check what is up. I checked online to make sure I had the date right. But, then I notice that I was charged full price for the unit and handling..over $235. So finally around 6:30pm I get through and their computers are back on. The CSR tells me that the reason they didn't come today was that they didn't have a tech. So I said why wasn't I called or even told when I called yesterday. I missed a half a day at work. After some complaining. I was told I would get a $100 credit....fine. So I ask when I can get a new appointment. I am then told they have no openings anytime soon...and cannot even give me a date. So at least a month. I said that is unacceptable. I said I can be flexible with times and that if it was theirs or the installers fault they should get someone here...Even if its overtime. I did most of the wiring work so its not that difficult. The CSR is very nice and trys to help. But, the supervisor said their is nothing they can do. I ask to speak to the supervisor. Their is a long wait. She waits onlin with me. After 15 minutes...something happened and I am disconnected. Now I am on the phone on hold again..(Just to get a CSR). I don't even care about speaking to the supervisor now. I have to speak to the retention dept to make sure I get a credit back on my CC for the unit.

This is completely unacceptable. :mad: :mad: :confused: :mad:

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
At any point did you get a phone number for the local installation company? Sometimes, not always, once you have an work order number, you can call the installation company directly. Give them the work order number and push for an early install. I had 2 mixups (didn't bring enough HR20s and/switches) so called, got a supervisor at the installation company, apprised them that all I needed was a drop off and they got it done the next morning, first thing.

Oh, and often times they will bill on the order and credit on the monthly bill. Check your balance, it may show the credit.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Mentor
38 Posts
I had the same problem last week, had an install scheduled for last Wed between 8:00am and 12:00pm. No one showed up, called Directv asked to speak with retention and was put on hold. A voice kept repeating "please hold" for 1 hour and six minutes (I was keeping busy doing other things while waiting). All of a sudden a recorded voice comes on and says "call cannot be completed, please try again later". As you can imagine, I had steam coming out of both ears, called back again, waited another 20 minutes and finally got through. I can feel your pain and they better get their act together! I finally got the service call a couple of days later but I emailed various Directv addresses expressing my concern stating there was no apology or anything. Last time I did that (same thing happened 1 1/2 years ago) a couple of weeks later the Office of the President called and offered some freebies to make up for it. The way Directv customer service has been lately I highly doubt that will happen this time around.

·
Legend
118 Posts
I keep reading that it can't be done, but the last receiver I got (an R15 to replace a Samsung something, free upgrade) I had them mail it to me. So, no missed time from work and no STRESS. This was back in December, so YES it can be done. :D

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got off the phone with a very nice and very helpful csr. She tried calling the install center and giving them crap about what happened. They are just not sending out the orders to the installers that quickly. So even if I called the installer. They wouldn't know what I was talking about. She said to keep calling every week until they are back on schedule. While I had someone on the phone who seemed to know what they were talking about. I asked about all the problems I have been having with my D15 DVR. I did a software upgrade about 2 weeks ago. She said another software upgrade X105F will start downloading on Jan.9. I also asked about why my regular HD reciever has dropouts. Apparently, I have a old one.. A Hughes HTLHD. And its going to be obsolete soon because of the new Mpeg-4 signals. She said I should wait until April and make sure my HDDVR is installed. And they call them and because of my status they should upgrade me to a new H20 for no charge. So like HDTVSportsfan said. Keep calling until you get a CSR who is friendly and helpful.

:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
i was just looking at my old orders online and the installer company phone number is right there. You might want to check that as well.

Tom

·
Legend
182 Posts
saxon2000 said:
I keep reading that it can't be done, but the last receiver I got (an R15 to replace a Samsung something, free upgrade) I had them mail it to me. So, no missed time from work and no STRESS. This was back in December, so YES it can be done. :D
Wrong...they will not drop ship anyone an HR20. (unless it's a replacement) You are correct when you say they will drop ship you an R15. They will also drop ship the H20 or D11. The reason why is because the equipment is so new that if something happens during/after the install, they have someone other than us (the customer) to blame like the technician or installation company. So it works out better...if you damage the receiver installing it, you have to pay for it in full...if the tech damages the receiver, then they are responsible for it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
How is nobody picking up on the fact that the call got dropped several times. THis happens to me when I call too. Doesn't matter if I call from home or work, sometimes, when I'm not even on hold. Does this happen a lot?

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Welcome to the club. I would say, out of about 6-7 various installs I've had from D* over the years, MAYBE 2 of them were satisfactory in my opinion, I've had everything happen from no shows, to hangups to promises not kept to an installer punching a huge hole in my attic and leaving without telling me about it!!! It gets back to "you get what you pay for". When D* goes and outsources these guys at minimal costs, this is what you can expect. My last visit, about a month ago, the installer came (unmarked truck, installer barely speaks English) and hooked up my HR20. Rather than stay and make sure it all worked he left. Now, me being new to HD, I had NO idea he had screwed up until a game that was supposed to be in HD on channel 96 wasn't on. In fact, I had gotten channel not availabe. It turned out, the installed NEVER changed the setting on the HR20 to look for the new 5LNB dish!!! This should be install 101 in my book!! Luckily the friendly folks at this forum walked me through what to look for and how to fix. It's why I've become so hesitent to use D*s CSRs and installers when I have an issue and would rather find out things here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.