DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Godfather
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, i am a man!! i was a little jealous, everyone getting blank recordings except me. well, now you HAVE to let me into your club! :lol:

so, the second i hit delete, i had a pang of angst. what if a reset or rbr fixes the blank recording? i'm sure someone has thought of and tried this. does it fix it?

· Godfather
457 Posts
I too had my first blank recording today. Meet the Press was recording, and I could tune to the NBC station live and watch it, but if I went to List and tried to play the recording, it was blank. I didn't get the immediate "Delete" prompt, I could FF through the entire recording, but it was completely black for the entire hour. A program that recorded directly before MTP was fine, and I did a test recording after that was fine also. As to your question, I did a RBR without deleting the blank recording, and it was still blank after the reboot.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
I read two different issues here.
  1. the program didn't record, and the keep/delete. This would happen if you removed the SAT feed [not that you did]. This is where "something" never tuned completely and there was no signal during the recording time.
  2. The other, where there was a working "time-line", but no video, is "new" to me. Clearly there was "something" in the signal to record, or the time-line wouldn't function, because with #1 [no signal] the time-line doesn't move.

· Mentor
46 Posts
I have been able to identify that most of my problems causing bad recordings, frozen boxes and other assorted goodies that usually require a reset are due to a bad BBC. I noticed that one was warm. And when I moved it to my second HR21 that was functioning fine, the problems followed it.

Thankfully, more on the way from directv for free (as has been posted already there is a link for free BBCs from the directv.com website).

· Legend
202 Posts
I had this happen to me only once. I noticed that it happened when my clock got too far off. (I was actually doing an experiment to see how far the clock would get off) but I noticed that when the clock got too far off the unit gave me the blank recording. Anyway, now I just restart the reciever every now and again and I have not recieved a bad recording since.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
shmengie said:
today, i am a man!! i was a little jealous, everyone getting blank recordings except me. well, now you HAVE to let me into your club! :lol:

so, the second i hit delete, i had a pang of angst. what if a reset or rbr fixes the blank recording? i'm sure someone has thought of and tried this. does it fix it?
A reset would "probably'' have given you access to the recording. I lost a few and then somebody suggested rebooting might bring the program back, and since then the reboot has worked every time, except when I was having the problems with my first and second 21-700.

Why? I don't know. I just know it usually works.

Rich

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
rich584 said:
A reset would "probably'' have given you access to the recording. I lost a few and then somebody suggested rebooting might bring the program back, and since then the reboot has worked every time, except when I was having the problems with my first and second 21-700.

Why? I don't know. I just know it usually works.

Rich
It's been almost 18 months since this happened to me, but when it did, a reboot removed the recording from my playlist, since it hadn't been recorded [instant keep/delete when trying to play].

· Registered
21,543 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The other, where there was a working "time-line", but no video, is "new" to me. Clearly there was "something" in the signal to record, or the time-line wouldn't function, because with #1 [no signal] the time-line doesn't move.
95% of my blanks fall into your #2 category, and I can FFX4 through 60 minutes of gray screen until I get to the KEEP/DELETE pop-up. And this has happened on shows I was watching live and hit RECORD on, so I know there was signal. And reboots don't appear to help.

5% of my "blanks" fall into the category of KEEP/DELETE popping up a second after I hit PLAY. I attribute those to "771" errors when the recording is about to start.

/steve

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Steve said:
95% of my blanks fall into your #2 category, and I can FFX4 through 60 minutes of gray screen until I get to the KEEP/DELETE pop-up. And this has happened on shows I was watching live and hit RECORD on, so I know there was signal. And reboots don't appear to help.

5% of my "blanks" fall into the category of KEEP/DELETE popping up a second after I hit PLAY. I attribute those to "771" errors when the recording is about to start.

/steve
I haven't seen your 95% group before. Seems as if instead of the signal "getting to the drive", you have a problem getting it "from the drive".
If I had this in the lab, I'd be probing the chips to see why/where.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
veryoldschool said:
It's been almost 18 months since this happened to me, but when it did, a reboot removed the recording from my playlist, since it hadn't been recorded [instant keep/delete when trying to play].
I've had that happen a couple of times too. But only when I was having all those problems with my 21-700s. Don't recall ever having it happen with the 20-700s, but it might have.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:

/steve
Never stops does it? Get one thing cleared up and something else pops up. Still getting those 771 thingees? Not one have I seen since I got my dish replaced and had all that work done. Still have no idea what was the root cause of my problems. That's the problem with using the "shotgun" method of troubleshooting.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Juanus said:
I had this happen to me only once. I noticed that it happened when my clock got too far off. (I was actually doing an experiment to see how far the clock would get off) but I noticed that when the clock got too far off the unit gave me the blank recording. Anyway, now I just restart the reciever every now and again and I have not recieved a bad recording since.
I really don't get the whole clock thing. I keep checking and all my 20/21s are right on the money compared to my "atomic" clocks. I feel left out.

Rich

· Registered
21,543 Posts
rich584 said:
I really don't get the whole clock thing. I keep checking and all my 20/21s are right on the money compared to my "atomic" clocks. I feel left out.

Rich
I've got 6 DVR's and the closest any of them ever get to time.gov is 3 seconds behind, which I'm chalking up to satellite lag, even though I know it's not that much. My HR20's seem to stay "spot-on" at 3-4 seconds behind. The HR21's lose about 1-2 seconds a day after the Friday night CE reboots. I haven't checked them for the past couple of weeks, tho, so perhaps things have changed. /steve

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
I've got 6 DVR's and the closest any of them ever get to time.gov is 3 seconds behind, which I'm chalking up to satellite lag, even though I know it's not that much. My HR20's seem to stay "spot-on" at 3-4 seconds behind. The HR21's lose about 1-2 seconds a day after the Friday night CE reboots. I haven't checked them for the past couple of weeks, tho, so perhaps things have changed. /steve
You're not that far from me and mine are right on the button. When the atomic clocks (why do they call them "atomic") change from on minute to the other, so do the 20/21s. Why you and not me?

I just checked a 20, the only one I have in this room, and it was less than a second off. I'm really curious about this, not trying to be argumentative. Westchester County can't be more than sixty miles from Piscataway, can it? What would cause that to happen?

Rich

· AllStar
70 Posts
Steve said:

/steve
I used to have blanks from just one local station. The interesting thing was that if you skipped forward and back in the blank area sometimes you could find a segment that played. It would play until encountering a bad segment which would freeze the display. Then you could blindly skip around and find another patch that would work. This was the MPEG-4 HD version of the newscast of a local station that seems to do things on the cheap. I switched to the OTA version and the bad recordings went away. This did not happen with the network feeds. My theory is that they have a brand-X encoder for their studio feed and it produces some invalid sequences in it that don't bother my HR20 , but when they go through DIRECTVs MP4 transcoder, they come out really bad and cause the problem. Just a theory.

Ernie

· Registered
21,543 Posts
rich584 said:
You're not that far from me and mine are right on the button. When the atomic clocks (why do they call them "atomic") change from on minute to the other, so do the 20/21s. Why you and not me?

I just checked a 20, the only one I have in this room, and it was less than a second off. I'm really curious about this, not trying to be argumentative. Westchester County can't be more than sixty miles from Piscataway, can it? What would cause that to happen?

Rich
Probably a difference in our choice of reference clocks. I'm not using a "stand-alone" atomically-set clock. I'm using www.time.gov, accessed via my PC. I refresh the page until it claims the displayed clock is accurate to 1/10th of a second and then compare it to the INFO bar minute change. /steve

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.