DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum for a few months now. The exchange of information and experiences has been great. I have decided to add my story for all to review. I apologize for its length in advance.

So, here it goes…

I received a hdtv for my birthday at the end of August and that is what sparked my desire to get HD service. I have been with DTV for 9 years and I did not hesitate to have them be my HD provider. I needed to replace my two R10’s with HD DVR’s. I called DTV spoke to a CSR and asked for what they could do. She said they could provided me with two HD DVR’s at $99 each, $19.95 handling, slimline dish, and free installation. Great, I will take it.

The next available install date was Sept 17th. Hmm…. 2.5 weeks out. I guess I will have to be patient. I kept my eye out for better reinstall dates on the DTV site, but no luck. Finally the 17th rolls around. My old dish is installed on the 2nd story fascia. The installer says we will need an under eave mount. Ok. That is fine. The installer says that he does not have one with him and I will to reschedule. Disappointed, I go to reschedule. The earliest date that fits our schedule is 10/6. I select this date, but keep and eye out for earlier install dates. Finally 10/1 opens up. I take it.

In the mean time, my statement comes. This is not correct, $199 for the first HD DVR and $99 for the second. I check my pending order on the website and it says $199 for the first and the second is free. I email DTV about the discrepancy and the CSR replies that I only qualified for one at $99. I emailed back and noted the difference between the statement amounts and the pending order amounts. I also noted the offer the original CSR had offered me on the phone. I get an email back form a supervisor apologizing for the confusion and correcting the amount billed. However, to do this they had to cancel my order and re-enter it. Uh oh, this caused me to loose my 10/1 date and get pushed to 10/12. Yes, I was very disappointed. However, 10/12 is a Sunday and I could be home all day. Patience… Patience…

At this point, none of this really surprised me. Although, I have never had any issues with DTV installations or service in the past, I have read some of your tales of adventure. I knew the road to HD might not be a smooth one.

Finally, 10/12 rolls around. I have an 8a-12p window for the installation. Well, the installer shows up at 3:30. He said that the appointment prior to mine should have been a simple upgrade, but the house was full of splitters and required a lot more work. Anyway, we begin discussing my dish install. I noted the need for an under eave mount. He finds one is truck. It is designed to attach to the rafter tail and has a mounting plate at the end. It looks good to me and I do not have to worry about holes drilled into the house. While he started working on the mount, I asked if I could get the DVR he brought set up. He said, “Sure, if you want”. He hands me two HR22’s!

After about a half an hour he comes in and said that the mount will not work. The bolt holes do not line up between the eave mount plate and the plate for the arm of the slimline. The installer states that ‘he sort of recalls’ in his training video that these mounts will not work with the slimline. This is because the slimline is two heavy. Since the mount only clamped on the rafter tail and not fastened, the mount was not strong enough. Ok…. What is plan B.

Plan B. He said he would use an elephant’s ear. Basically the bracket mounts the side of the house and extends up pas the fascia. It would be secured at the fascia with monopoles. I never like drilling into the side of the house, but there was not much of a choice left. I said ok.

As he was starting on that project I was working on setting up the upstairs HR22. I heard him drilling as I was connecting. Then all of a sudden, the lights go out. I knew what had happened. He hit an electrical line with his drill. I go out and say ‘are you ok?’. He asked, “why?”. I said ‘the lights went out’. He looked stunned. I checked the breaker and it had popped. I reset it and it stayed set. I new I was going to have to cut a hole in my son’s room to see the damage. I can not stand the thought of damaged wires in an insulated wall. Of course, the wife is extremely annoyed at the situation. We went into my son’s room to decide where I need to cut. We look at the wall to find two holes in the drywall. He had drilled two holes from outside straight through the and out interior wall. I was amazed. I joked that this will make it easy to find where to cut the wall open . My wife did not laugh. I took some pictures and waited to cut it open until I showed the installer. At the end of the install I showed him the two holes. He had quite a look on his face. I made sure he noted the damage on the workorder I singed. My wife tried to contact the installer call back number we had, but they were closed (He completed the job at about 7:30p). I did cut the wall open to find his bit had gone between two romex lines. The electrical lines appear to be feeding and leaving an outlet a few feet below. It did not look serious enough for immediate attention, but needs to be fixed asap. We filed a damage claim this morning. We are waiting to hear back on our claim.

Well… that is my installation story. Sorry for the length, but my path to HD was a bit long.

--Steve

Attachments

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Wow.

Glad no one got hurt.

As they say, stuff happens.

You did right by taking pics before cutting open the wall. That will help greatly with the damage claim.

Do have to wonder why he was drilling that deep into the wall.

· AllStar
59 Posts
Good job with the pics, I like the fresh drywall dust on the furniture so there is no disputing when it happened.

Why couldn't they just mount it to the fascia board - I had two older dishes replaced a couple of months ago with this one:

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Git said:
Good job with the pics, I like the fresh drywall dust on the furniture so there is no disputing when it happened.

Why couldn't they just mount it to the fascia board - I had two older dishes replaced a couple of months ago with this one:
A Slimline on a fascia is now grounds for an automatic QC failure. Something you don't want if your a tech, especially if your a subcontractor.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mjtville said:
Cool beans!

???????? Pic please!

In my experiences most do not! Not too much damage and should be repaired pretty quick I would think.
Actually, it is called an elephant trunk mount. I will try to get pictures later today. However, it is basically a bigger j-mount. It attaches to the side of the house then extends outward and upward past the eave and above the fascia. There are two monopoles attached to the mount from the fascia.

The hole would be easy to fix if that was the only damage. It is the wiring that is not so easy to fix (at least for me. I am not electrician).

The installation company had an installer come out yesterday to survey the damage and take his own pictures. He asked whey the previous installer was working from inside my son's room. We said he was not in here he was outside.

--Steve

· Legend
109 Posts
RobertE said:
A Slimline on a fascia is now grounds for an automatic QC failure. Something you don't want if your a tech, especially if your a subcontractor.
As an installer, these vague restrictions are really aggravating. Its similar to the 6 3" lag bolt rule; There are times when 4 is plenty enough and 6 is not enough. Instead of saying no fascia boards, simply make a restriction that a slimline can not go into anything less than a 6 x 4. Often an 18" should not be going on a fascia, but techs do it all the time.

· Godfather
291 Posts
A picture is worth 1000 gripes. Well done, my friend. Well done.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of the dish and mount.

I am also attaching a .pdf showing the mount the first installer tried to mount and then said the bolt holes on the mount would not line up with the slimline mounting bracket. The second installer that showed up to inspect the damage said the clamp mount should have worked and he uses them all the time. Has anyone used or seen these mounts used?

--Steve

Attachments

· AllStar
78 Posts
Mighty3507 said:
Here are a couple of pictures of the dish and mount.

I am also attaching a .pdf showing the mount the first installer tried to mount and then said the bolt holes on the mount would not line up with the slimline mounting bracket. The second installer that showed up to inspect the damage said the clamp mount should have worked and he uses them all the time. Has anyone used or seen these mounts used?

--Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for getting back to us and providing great pics and commentary. U da man....) :joy:

I see that there are two models of the clamp mount. The brochure doesn't really go into antenna brands or models specifically, so it's kind of hard to tell. I do see different bolt patterns on the mounting plate. Just don't know.

What I do see from the pictures is that I think you got the better of the two mounts installed as long as that bad boy is hitting the stud (and not bedroom air :lol:), sorry for that.

I believe that the clamp would not have worked. Not sure what their called but... the trim boards that are under your eaves, from the side of the house to the inside of the fascia is what I'm talking about. I believe are installed for cosmetic/architectural reasons (a little support yes) but not strong enough to support the dish. This is what I see from here anyways. I'll sit back and read input that is sure to follow.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
DJTheC said:
That is one sloppy install. Those cables are a mess and should be a bit neater. The messenger should not be loose like that, should be tied down to look neater.
It isn't perfect, but it isn't really bad either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.